Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simple side scroller movement

Hi just a simple request.

I am looking for a simple side scrolling system that will only need to convert the directions from 4 directions to 2 directions with height on the y axis

eg/ the character moves left and right, upon jumping right he falls straight through the platform because it is 2 squares higher on the map.
I want to change this so instead of the tile being 2 north its 2 higher, thus being an effective platform.

eg2/ I have an obstacle that moves up and down and the trick to getting past it is to jump over it, however when the obstacle moves up it moves north whereas the player is moving vertically up, so as long as the player jumps it doesn't matter if the obstacle is there or not, the player will survive.

I'm well aware of the arc engine, however I am currently using a lot of victor scripts and the arc engine likes to stop them from working (a lot) and besides that the arc engine is waaaay to complicated for what I am looking for.

my game is working fine atm, the only problem is I can't jump to new heights or drop to new depths.

if someone could help me out with this small problem, I would be very happy and would even let you get the choice of one of the obstacles you will face in my game (can't offer much, but its something right?)

With RPG Maker, a side-scroller script is quite a massive change, it needs simple physics, grid-less movement and tweaks to the character sprite sheet, it will require a lot of change, so I am not sure anyone will create a new script for you unless they have interest in turning RPG Maker into a side-scrolling engine.

You might be better off compromising between your conflicting scripts, if side-scrolling is critical to your game then start off with a side-scrolling script and then start finding what is and isn't compatible.

So I tried and tried and tried with various options and realised a couple of things, victors jump script will Never be usable in a 2d side scroller and the arc side scroller engine is one of the least compatible scripts I have ever seen.

generally if I use the arc engine I can make jumpable obstacles and obstacles that you need to run under while they are aloft...

... but if I use all the other scripts that the god damned arc engine doesn't like I can make a visual masterpiece with no worthwhile jumping mechanics.

all I know now is I need help if I'm to continue with this project and I dont want to have to try and figure out the BS that is IG maker.

rant over, give me your opinion, great graphics or a jumping mechanic?

Probably an unpopular opinion, but since it seems like you're going for an arty game with the graphics, I'd choose great graphics over the jumping mechanic. If that's so important, then maybe once the game's done you'll find someone who likes the game and will make it for you, that's more likely to happen once something's out there I guess. Other than that I don't think it's worth sacrificing so much for just one aspect of the game, unless it's a really really good mechanic I guess.

...time to get a demo made then, thanks Amy.

also Xilef, I do agree but the idea was to see how much I could get out of vx ace with this project (a hell of a lot, just not a victor compatible side scroll script)

also, I really dont want to have to sit and learn to use yet another game making program (I dont really have the hard drive space to be installing more stuff either)

thank you both for your advice, I appreciate the help.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.