Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Signature spammers

We're having loads of spammers who make single posts (Usually pretty good posts too) and then change their signature to advertise something and then they never return.

I propose that we have a 10-post activation on signatures, so a new user needs to have posted at least 10 times before they can use the signature feature.

Could even make it a higher number like 32 or 50 times.

Thoughts?

Yeah I dunno, I'm tempted to just start banning them as soon as they post even if they haven't technically done anything wrong yet. This is ridiculous. I banned and deleted all of the ones who had changed their signatures.

Although, we could restrict them from creating a new topic in the first place. I mean, have a post requirement before having the privilege to start a new topic. That would also cut down on the number of people who signup to post their game in the completed games section who then never come back.
Maybe force people so show a little development in "what are you working on" or the screenshot topic. Or at least comment on other games first. After all, this is a game development forum.

No I think overly restricting posting is not the way to go about it as that would hurt legitimate new users, not having a signature is not exactly usage-breaking.

I'm for signatures that advertise relevant subjects like a game development tool or something that could be of actual use, but advertising holidays and car insurance on your first post is what I'm getting at, it's a real shame as some of the discussion topics are actually rather fruitful, just that it's ruined that the person's motive is to shove in a signature that is irrelevant spam.

Also, if they faked a signature in their post, then when it gets reported for spam the staff would see that it is post content and it makes it more definite that the user should be banned for posting spam rather than another kind of infraction over a signature.

Adding a minimum post count for signatures seems a bit easier than manually moderating new users too.

The thing is that it's really obvious when it's a spammer, though. The posts are all inane in exactly the same way, and the names are similar, and they all post in the same forum. I'd be for adding a new feature, but we're planning on switching forum software soon anyway, so it might be more trouble than it's worth. If Wyatt or someone wants to mess with it, by all means go ahead, but it might be simpler to just deal with it manually.

Perihelion":f9a2t0rn said:
Well, I say soon, but who knows really. In theory, at least.

I dunno about it being in theory, he kinda likes to keep to himself and all that, and I'm not sure he rolls that way. I personally can't wait to see what the new update ends up looking like, because all I've heard are tidbits.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.