Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Shoe advertisements and chatbot necromancers

We seem to get a lot of shoe-related spam. And it looks like someone has made a chatbot necromancer that goes around finding old threads, responding to them with semi-relevant netspeak, and hiding a link the signature.

I admire their perseverance to sell us running shoes and whatever else they're trying to do. But it does get a little annoying. Is there any way to stop it?

Social sign in for registration (Steam/Google/Twitter/Facebook) would almost completely eradicate the problem, but that will take some effort implementing.

Another alternative would be to only allow new users to make a single post which is only visible to staff and needs approval: once it is approved they can post regularly. Lets people create accounts to lurk (could have a message up top saying "make a post to get your account approved") and if they want to spam then they can only get 1 shot, only staff can see it and that's that. Actual real users can lurk until they feel the need to post, make a good post, then have their account approved.

The reasons to not do this is that it depends on forum staff being around, we currently have a low new user registration/post rate (they all seem to be for my Android MV tutorial) so I don't think that's a problem. If the forum explodes with popularity then that would be the time to upgrade/migrate forum software and implement social sign-in.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.