Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

SFML

Hi, I am wondering if anybody here has experience with SFML and wants to discuss it.

I am using it currently in C++ for my games at Uni, but it also has a Ruby library. It would be interesting to see what we can come up with.

I wonder which is better, SFML or Gosu.

irc said:
<Dahrkael> "I wonder which is better, SFML or Gosu."
<jlnr> refer them to tuiq, he has used both :)
<tuiq> Hmm?
<Dahrkael> not my question :3
<jlnr> yeah them=whoever said that :D
<tuiq> SFML was
<Dahrkael> i think tuiq prefers gosu over sfml
<tuiq> I don't know.
<tuiq> Too stupid for me.
<tuiq> "Look, you CAN NOT HANDLE IMAGES
<tuiq> YOU HAVE TO USE SPRITES"
<tuiq> And then, you are always confused
<jlnr> ah
<tuiq> Can I re-use this image?
<jlnr> Yeah, that is something that so many libraries get wrong imho
<tuiq> Do I have to create a new one?
<tuiq> Why doesn't it work
<tuiq> It was weird and lagged like hell
<tuiq> I mean, Gosu has 20-30 FPS
<tuiq> But that thing had 2.
<jlnr> :P
<tuiq> And it didn't really offer anything Gosu couldn't do

Is a improved SDL. It have better hadware acceleration, nice documentation, active and modern developer and a 100% object oriented design on the start.

The library is written in C++ so it have a nice speed. I think it also gives you a more interesting aproach to 3d than sdl, that was only through open gl.

I havent programed for it but i was looking for game libraries for ruby and i find that. Its seems very nice. Gosu is the alternative. Both are object oriented although i readed Gosu vas more simplier and i think that gosu is more 2d oriented.

Anyway i think SFML is more interesing, the problem is that the ruby port dont work well. Enter in the forum and you will see that only worked with one old version and than just now a user is revamping it...

So if you want to use just NOW and with ruby, use GOSU.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I tried learning C++ on my own a couple of times, can't make anything, get bored with the tutorials I look at, and when I try something completely random without looking at any tutorials or anything (Just open Code::Blocks and type away), it doesn't work and everything is wrong, lol. All I can do is make a number guessing game using the horrible cmdbox... boring!

Dont use C++ if you are a begginer, you code in ruby or you dont need high rendiment applications, because is a pain in the ass.

Use c# with xna or python + pygame. These two are the better alternatives. Other one is Lua + Love.

I suggest using pygame for 2d games, and XNA for starting more complex things.

Better anyway Gosu + Ruby or SFML, when the port will be done.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Well... I can use:
HTML + CSS (But come on... these are easy, lol)
RGSS + RGSS2
Ruby (Not RPG Maker Orientated)
Python
ActionScript + ActionScript 2.0
A little bit of Java

I'm not particularly amazing in any of these, I mean, I know enough to do something cool, but nothing spectacular like making fully working applications and such.

But when it comes to C++, I don't know, without much knowledge of the language it just seems really boring.

Jbrist":3lux7o85 said:
Well... I can use:
HTML + CSS (But come on... these are easy, lol)
RGSS + RGSS2
Ruby (Not RPG Maker Orientated)
Python
ActionScript + ActionScript 2.0
A little bit of Java

I'm not particularly amazing in any of these, I mean, I know enough to do something cool, but nothing spectacular like making fully working applications and such.

But when it comes to C++, I don't know, without much knowledge of the language it just seems really boring.

Yes, its a boring language, at least for me. It have a ugly syntax, standard library, design....

Note that C/C++ are fun if you are planning to create a high rendiment application with your custom data and algotihm or you want to contact directly aplication hardware. The bad thing is that you have to like these concepts.

But yes, for other things it sucks and gets boring quick.

For everyday things i prefer scripting languages. I like ruby most because its more OO than python and have better syntax and some ideas improved. Also, ruby is opposite to python in the way that python have only a way to do things and ruby is like perl in that there are lot of things to do or create, or use, so, its more fun, at least for me.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.