Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

SDK Support Topic

Because of the update to the new SDK, we are aware complications are going to be happening. So you can use this thread for any support to deal with the SDK.

Please, post a demo, as the number of possiblity difficulties is near endless.

Question, how do I install scripts? I'm trying to get an ABS and I need the SDK script. I know I need to copy it's parts and paste it somewhere, but that's just it, I have no clue where to paste it, can you help? I have RPG maker 2003 if that means anything...

shadowjak;198262 said:
Question, how do I install scripts? I'm trying to get an ABS and I need the SDK script. I know I need to copy it's parts and paste it somewhere, but that's just it, I have no clue where to paste it, can you help? I have RPG maker 2003 if that means anything...

The SDK and most everything here is for RMXP... Hence, the fact that these forums are listed under RPG Maker XP. Not 2003.

gamgre

I've been trying to grasp this whole ruby scripting thing for a while now, and now I know about this SDK thing. So i have questions, What is this SDK thing really for? and why wont some scripts i use with it not work?

Can i use SDK scripts and non SDK scripts together?

if i don't have the SDK main script, will i be able use SDK scripts?

The SDK is a Standard Devopment Kit that enables a easier way to set up scripts without alot of complications. For example, Almost All SDK scripts can be turned off easily using the SDK. The SDK enables event commands and other cool things like Event Comment commands. It's basically a Scripting Tool.

The reason some scripts don't work is because the SDK rewrites almost ALL scripts in the RMXP database AND adds some.

You can use some but not many non-SDK scripts with the SDK.

I don't know about that last question.

gamgre

Thanks for that, it offers more insight to the sdk script, so i can safely say its almost like another way to write scripts right?

About the last question, i was really meaning to ask if it was possible to run the scripts that are sdk compatible with out the sdk.

and by any chance could some one show me a way to convert the regular scripts into sdk compatible ones? I only need some help text files of some sort, the help file in RMXP aren't really all that helpful to me.

Some scripts were written through the use of 'ALIAS' methods that allow the scripter (you or I) to append new code to an already existing code. This way, scripters don't have to rewrite the whole dang thing. A preferable method of writing RGSS scripts, rather than rewriting or replacing the default code. A script that is well written with the use of 'aliases' will typically be compatible with 'most' anything, including the SDK.

Mind you... the SDK is basically being 'DESIGNED' as a replacement for the default RMXP scripts (including a few fixes)... dividing the code into even smaller blocks of code for easier scripting purposes.
Code:
class Game_Map
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Setup
  #     map_id : map ID
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def setup(map_id)
    setup_map_id(map_id)                      # Setup Map ID       
    setup_load                                # Setup Map Data
    setup_tileset                             # Setup Tileset Data
    setup_display                             # Setup Display
    setup_refresh                             # Setup Refresh
    setup_events                              # Setup Events
    setup_common_events                       # Setup Common Events
    setup_fog                                 # Setup Fog
    setup_scroll                              # Setup Scroll
  end
The original def setup(map_id) code was longer. The newer one merely calls smaller def statments (like setup_fog). This way, you can edit/alias the fog code without messing with the stuff around it.
Your question is whether scripts that are SDK Compatible actually 'need' the SDK...

No, not necessarily.

A lot of scripts that are written through the use of 'ALIASes' to be compatible with a wide range of scripts could be deemed relatively SDK compatible. There may be a few differences to note regarding the new structure (like the update methods & such)... but most scripts that alias their code instead of rewriting existing code should work with the SDK. You just gotta try it out.

But... scripts that were designed with the SDK in mind (making specific calls to defs that were not previously available in the default RMXP code... see the above spoiler...) will not work without the SDK. Since the SDK has now been divided into a few modules, the posters of SDK scripts can actually describe the SDK modules necessary to run the script. This way, you do not need the entire SDK system... just enough SDK parts. And coding methods used by SDK scripters can help identify to end-users (us), which sections of the SDK are actually necessary for the script to function.

As to older scripts or non-SDK scripts that rewrite the default code... they can still be used with the SDK, but are typically the last thing in your Project's Script Manager. And as a word of warning, if Non-SDK scripts overwrite a certain section of code in the SDK (like a message system), then any SDK script that attempts to work with the SDK... can't.

gamgre

Ah thanks a lot, that provides much more insight on this. I'm trying to learning it but with a 18 days left thing going and the rest of the crap i've got going in my life i't seems to work its way out of my mind.

I was wondering about being able to re-write the older ones, after learning how to of course, because I found a party splitting script that is absolutely perfect for my game. But when i found the SDK scripts and all the other ones that went with them I noticed that most of the ones I wanted/needed had to have the SDK main script, 1-4 and such, so I added that and a few problems arose.
(1.) My commands and default controls had been changed.
(2.) My party splitting script, while still being accessible without a problem in script, had stopped functioning properly sure you could split your party and unify them again with out a problem, it was when you did that you where supposed to be shown a sprite at the bottom right of the screen that said " Z:party switch"
well that was gone along with the ability to even switch the party, so you basically ended up with a smaller party and lag.

Sorry, total newb slobbering all over the forums. I apologize, but RMXP now consumes me and I must make things work. =)

I installed SDK, and it works great, and it's some amazing script work. However, it appears to completely disable the transitions in my game. They just stop working. It's only when I have the SDK on. Any idea why that would be true?

Thanks for any help!

gamgre

Transitions as in battle beginning transitions??

When i installed it i didn't have anything like that kind of problem. the only one I spotted was the splitter script being disabled.

Did you install another script to run your transitions?
If so then that script may not be SDK compatible and it won't work till you make it compatible.

Not battle transitions, but event driven transitions. And it happens even if the SDK is the only active script outside of the default ones.

So if I have:

@ Prepare for transition
@ Show Picture etc...
@ Execute Transition: '008-Line02'

Instead of the nice transition effect I used to get, it just pops up without any transition at all.

gamgre

Well that is indeed strange. I've tried a few variations of that transition style and so far i have nothing to give you, this is an actual bug in the script that disables this feature. So if you want to use these transitions then you'll have to ask trickster or sephspawn to look into it for you and see what they can do with it. Most likely you'll have to get another script built to suit its actions.

This my provide more uses to the transitions than just being transitions as well.

Oh, it's not really a big deal. I'm loathe to do it using other scripts... I'm still really new to this, and getting the scripts I do have in there to play nicely together has been a challenge. =) It's certainly not a game-breaking issue or anything. I just brought it up to A) see if I'm pulling basic newbism and doing something wrong and B) If not, bring it to the attention of others. I guarantee this issue has a better chance of being resolved in the near future than my first RPG has of being finished in the near future. So I can be patient. =)

gamgre

Yeah i know what you mean. I'm new to this as well and have been trying to learn the scripting bit for some time now. Yet i haven't had time to look to far into it, though. Any ways, you can put in a request to have and update or a script made, someone may do it for you, i'll be asking for a party splitting code. done to the SDK's specs.

gamgre

Put all the SDK library right above the MIAN script and all other SDK compliant scripts just bellow the SDK library with the non-SDK scripts bellow those and above main.

I can get a screen shot for you if you'd like.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.