Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Saves and episodic games question

We would like to make a game splited in to single episodes. is it possible to transfere save games from older episode to a newer one (so the player will start his adventure from where he ended in previous episode with the same developed characters) ?

thanks

Theory, you really overcomplicate things. All you need to do is make sure that the original weapons, characters, and other database information is there and identical to the first game. (with the exception of monsters, troops, tilesets, and possibly system) Then, all you have to do is make a script that will load the data from a save file from the previous episode, and recompile it into a new save file for the current episode. This is how many games that don't use a code-based transfer system do the trick, such as .hack//INFECTION, which is volume 1 of a 4-game set. Incidentally, so long as the original databse system exists in the continuation, there is nothing to stop you from creating and adding new stuff to the database, so long as it appears after the stuff from the original game(s).

Glitchfinder":3ogokau2 said:
Theory, you really overcomplicate things. All you need to do is make sure that the original weapons, characters, and other database information is there and identical to the first game. (with the exception of monsters, troops, tilesets, and possibly system) Then, all you have to do is make a script that will load the data from a save file from the previous episode, and recompile it into a new save file for the current episode. This is how many games that don't use a code-based transfer system do the trick, such as .hack//INFECTION, which is volume 1 of a 4-game set. Incidentally, so long as the original databse system exists in the continuation, there is nothing to stop you from creating and adding new stuff to the database, so long as it appears after the stuff from the original game(s).

He is quite right. This is how I actually plan to do my episode. However I even take my stuff a step further. With each episode, I plan to give the player in the beginning the best possible earned gear from the last episode whether they took the time to earn it or not. And I also give the player a generous amount of potions of every variety, are you really gonna been 99 of every potion just cause you obtained them, that is my justification for this. Some of the game item upgrades are needed to even beat the game, so I simply provide the ones you would need to get started on the next episode with.

After I finish all the episodes I plan to remove the whole episodic features in the game and release a full version that won't allow the player to do this stuff, thus earning the equipment will be needed and more time invested in the game itself.

Glitchfinder":375iqbvl said:

That's one of the things I'm thinking about, maybe like this for actors:

NGCS Episode 1 : Gyok Chim ; Kyoung-Tae ; Eun Ha ; Ruki ; ??? ; ??? ; ??? ; ??? ; ??? ; ??? ; ??? ; ???
NGCS Episode 2 : Gyok Chim ; Kyoung-Tae ; Eun Ha ; Ruki ; Adrian ; Kristoff ; Raiza ; Angelie ; ??? ; ??? ; ??? ; ???
NGCS Episode 3 : Gyok Chim ; Kyoung-Tae ; Eun Ha ; Ruki ; Adrian ; Kristoff ; Raiza ; Angelie ; Hatsuya ; Hatoru ; Kuuja ; Ruki

^ My database might end up this way, or there's another alternative.

Say, the XAS demo link's gone in FileFront, gimme the MediaFire or MegaUpload mirror instead.

It might be overcomplicated, but it's a way to keep your carryover minimal. Which is critical if you plan on having 10 titles with >1000 items each. I doubt anything that epic will ever be created, but let's face it. I overcomplicate things. And I like a clean database. I couldn't stand having every small item that cannot possibly be carried over having to remain in the database. Yet if you remove/replace them, it becomes wasteful/confusing. So my method covers rearranging the database, and nulling unwanted data.

I know this discussion is pretty much over, and my solution above, obviously, is not a solution; but couldn't you just add in some data in that keeps track of not only the items/skills/etc. you have, but in which episode you got them; then just use that to determine which data file gets read from (keeping all the rxdata files in a central location)? Then, just add a number to the save file to determine which episode you are in, so it knows what data to load for the maps etc. In other words, using multiple data files for a single game to give the impression of multiple diff ones.

I don't use rmxp that often anymore, so if this is utterly absurd just ignore me.

*Edited to fix grammar, cause I was at work and in a rush.

I think either way you do this, there will need to be some accounting done. You'll need to keep track of each type of data that you want to carry over, and handle it in the Scene_Load or New_Game class. (Or create a new "Continue from previous chapter") class that handles your carryover data.

You have the obvious data, everything in $game_party. But you could also have variables/switches (quests completed, milestones passed, etc...). Self switches of events that occur in both chapters (if not all new maps).

Either one of your suggestions will work, depending on the complexity of the system requirements.
And since the OP didn't specify any detailed requirements, this is pretty much an open discussion on the many possible ways to implement such a system. (We could have skipped the whole horrid affair, and just answered, "Yes. It is possible.") :scruff:

Here's what I think I would do...
Create a new Save class that only executes at the end of a chapter, and saves a custom save file (chap1.rxdata) with only the data I want to carry over.
Create a menu option in all sequels (chapter 2 and up) "Continue from previous chapter", and pop up a file open dialog to select the custom save file (or just make them copy it to the new game folder), then do a normal "New Game" load of the data, and then load the carryover data.
Still some accounting, as you need to make sure anything you allow to carry over still exists in the database, but a game rarely gets finished without proper planning anyways.

Be Well

Brewmeister":22ai9i98 said:
I think either way you do this, there will need to be some accounting done. You'll need to keep track of each type of data that you want to carry over, and handle it in the Scene_Load or New_Game class. (Or create a new "Continue from previous chapter") class that handles your carryover data.

You have the obvious data, everything in $game_party. But you could also have variables/switches (quests completed, milestones passed, etc...). Self switches of events that occur in both chapters (if not all new maps).

Either one of your suggestions will work, depending on the complexity of the system requirements.
And since the OP didn't specify any detailed requirements, this is pretty much an open discussion on the many possible ways to implement such a system. (We could have skipped the whole horrid affair, and just answered, "Yes. It is possible.") :scruff:

Here's what I think I would do...
Create a new Save class that only executes at the end of a chapter, and saves a custom save file (chap1.rxdata) with only the data I want to carry over.
Create a menu option in all sequels (chapter 2 and up) "Continue from previous chapter", and pop up a file open dialog to select the custom save file (or just make them copy it to the new game folder), then do a normal "New Game" load of the data, and then load the carryover data.
Still some accounting, as you need to make sure anything you allow to carry over still exists in the database, but a game rarely gets finished without proper planning anyways.

Be Well
It might go something like this?

My first game will use NGCS01_SaveXXX.rxdata as its naming convention for my first game. The twist is that the 2nd game related to the previous game may carry over the stuff you got on the first game and even carry over your NGCS01 characters to the 2nd game.

But if you don't have any NGCS01_SaveXXX.rxdata, the 2nd game will just adjust the actors from the first game though...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.