Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Sailerius: 62 hours [Goal: 60 Hours]

Starting up my thread. It's going to be damn hard since I'm already putting 20-30 hours a week into a game which doesn't count, but I'll try my best. Most of the work will probably be in revisions of Act III of Vacant Sky for the Complete Edition.

Put four hours into revising dialogue yesterday. In the process of doing so, I discovered, interestingly enough, that Act III has the least amount of dialogue of the three episodes, unless you count optional content. I'm about a quarter of the way through the main quest now (up to the Darxinger/Vel quest now). This is kind of boring but oh well, it has to be done. Maybe when I finish this up, I'll start on adding the new content.

Maybe boring, maybe unrewarding, but definitely useful. Good luck, and don't try to loose your mind of all the game development going on in your life.
You can do it!

I'm not allowed to count school work toward the total, but because it's a lot more interesting, I thought I'd show a screen of a shader I've been working on for my graduation project.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7199/unled4tx.png
Rather than just increasing the brightness of surfaces, the lighting model used in this shader also increases the saturation with respect to the amount of light hitting it.

Spent two hours revising dialogue until I got bored of it and started working on something for another project. I'm building a domain-specific scripting language for stage directions in RPG cutscenes that's designed to be engine-independent. Two hours was spent writing examples and the specification and another two was spent working on an RGSS implementation. Presently, it can read (very simple) dialog commands and translate them to message windows.

Had today (mostly off), so I spent 6 hours working on implementing an interpreter for my eventing language. Got basic message commands working.

For example, an input of
Code:
arshes "herpa derp";

produces this:
http://gyazo.com/ff3e95882f117c60a7403e343e02f942

The syntax is pretty simple. It normally goes
Code:
function_name arg1 arg2 ... argn;
But since dialog will be such a commonly-used function, an unstated function name is assumed to be the "say" function.

So far clocked four hours today working on the event scripting system. I've now implemented playing sounds, controlling switches, waiting, and camera panning.

Next up, it's time to tackle moving events. This is going to be a pain.

Finished adding event movement. That wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I might add in A* so that instead of saying
Code:
event_move up 3;

event_move right 4;
you can say
Code:
event_move_to 32 48;
Of course, adding in pathfinding means a lot of annoying edge cases that I'll have to cover. I wonder if there's already a decent A* script for RMXP.

I was going to devote today to gammak, but tragedy struck and long story short, I spent 7 hours fixing my Windows install. I was able to spend three hours implementing some new methods in my scripting system, though: event_alpha, event_turn, event_rotate, fade, and event binding.

Spent the past 3 hours converting over some old maps to the CE version of Act III. Lots of fun! (not really) Now to reward myself for plowing through that by working on my scripting sysem.

I haven't updated this in a while! Between story planning, gameplay design, mapping, and bugtesting, I've put in about 8 hours in the past week.

Spent an awesome 8 hours yesterday redoing some crappy maps, fixing a bug where a party member turned into a lever, and importing the new CE graphics into Act III.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.