Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

> Running RMXP in Vista (and fixing ntitles error)

NB: I copied this thread from tutorials, the origional is still there; it's the most commonly linked to tutorial :3 ~wyatt

NOTICE: RPG Maker XP Has been updated to use new validation services, and the Protexis servers that older versions connect to when you first open them are no longer online. If you are installing RPG Maker XP from an older installer, you will always encounter this error. Instead, you need to download the newest version, located here, and contact Enterbrain with your proof of purchase to obtain a new validation key.

How to use RMXP with Vista (a.k.a. How to fix any nTitles error)
By Glitchfinder

Let's face it, way too many people ask this question. They ask why they are getting the error "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTitles server." Well, let me say something. Vista's screwey. Just understand that, and you can get over many issues. Anyway, you have this error, and you don't know how to fix it. In this tutorial, I will explain several methods I have found to solve this issue, in order from easiest to most difficult. Also, for simplicity's sake, I'll post them in spoilers. Finally, let me also mention that the third tutorial will allow people to install RPG Maker XP on a computer without an internet connection.

Step 1 - Administator Priveledges
Well, this one is the oldest method, and the simplest. It has been recommended over and over again. Now, it doesn't always solve the problem, which is why the next turtorial exists. In fact, unless they have updated Vista, this method only fixes it for at most 2/3 of the general population.

1. Go to RMXP's installation directory. (Usually C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP)

2. Right click on RPGXP.exe, and choose "Properties"

3. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Compatibility" tab.

4. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

5. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

6. If you cannot check the box mentioned in step 5, follow steps 7 through 11.

7. Click on the button that says "Show settings for all users".

8. Click the "OK" button on the "Windows needs your permission to continue" button, after inputting the password of the specified administrator if necessary.

9. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

10. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

11. Click the "OK" button.

12. Click the "OK" button.

Also, if you cannot find a tab named "Compatibility", then go into the windows help function and search "Compatibility", (without the quotes), open the Compatibility Wizard, and follow the steps that it gives you until the end, then save the settings.

If the above tutorial does not solve it for you, then use the following tutorial:

Step 2 - Administator Priveledges Level 2
First off, I want to say that this tutorial was first posted by me at a forum called Pokecommunity, on November 12, 2007. Within a week, it had been posted at nearly every help site I could find, and turned into quite a few Youtube videos to boot. (In more than just English, too!) Anyway, it incorporates the first tutorial, and goes a step further. This should solve the problem for almost anybody who found that the first tutorial did not help.

1. Go to your root RMXP directory. (Usually C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP)

2. Right click RPGXP.exe and choose "Properties".

3. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Compatibility" tab.

4. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

5. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

6. If you cannot check the box mentioned in step 5, follow steps 7 through 11.

7. Click on the button that says "Show settings for all users".

8. Click the "OK" button on the "Windows needs your permission to continue" button, after inputting the password of the specified administrator if necessary.

9. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

10. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

11. Click the "OK" button.

12. Click the "OK" button.

13. Right click PSIKey.dll and choose "Properties".

14. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Security" tab.

15. Click on the "Advanced" button.

16. Highlight the permission entry that says "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)" where [your computer's name] is whatever you named your computer. (Mine is Media-PC)

17. Click the "Edit..." button.

18. Highlight the group "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)".

19. In the popup that appears (It should be named "Permission Entry for PSIKey.dll"), check the "Allow" box for the option "Full Control".

20. All of the "Allow" boxes below the box you just checked should now be checked as well.

21. Click the "OK" Button.

22. Check the box that says "Include inheritable permissios from this object's parents".

23. Click the "OK" button.

24. Click the "OK" Button.

25. Click the "OK" Button.

26. Run RPG Maker XP, and you should no longer get the error message!

27. If you still get the error message, log into the administrative account on the computer (With the owner's permission) and then run RPG Maker XP. It should work no matter what on that account, after you have successfully completed the above steps.

28. Have fun building games with the legal version of RPG Maker XP!

If neither of the above tutorials works for you, or if you are trying to install RMXP or RMVX on a computer without internet, simply follow the steps in this tutorial.

Step 3 - Rewritten Registry
Well, this is my final, and most extreme tutorial. This is not only for people who have found that nothing they do can fix their error, it is also for those who wish to install their programs on a computer not connected to the internet. Be warned, this final tutorial involves editing the registry. Do NOT edit the registry without proper guidance, as you can do serious damage to your computer. I have personally found and exported these from the registry, and then tested them on several different computers. As a final warning, if you follow the steps in this tutorial, you will be given an expired trial version, instead of a working 30-day trial.

1. Open Notepad, and copy the code from one of the two boxes below into a new document. (Depending on whether you want to fix RMXP or RMVX)

2. Save the document as "Protexis.reg".

3. Double-click on the new file, Preotexis.reg. (The .reg might not be there, depending on your computer's settings)

4. Navigate through the popups, so that it will import the new keys into the registry. (I will not give specific messages like in previous tutorials, because this is intended for more than just Vista. Suffice to say, you should get a message to the effect of "Are you sure you want to add the information in "C:\..." to the Registry?")

5. When you have added it to the registry, you should now be able to open the program to recieve a message saying that your 30-day trial has expired, instead of the standard nTitles error. Then, all you have to do is register your copy of the program, and you can use it, even if your computer has no internet!

Here are the codes you need to copy. The first box is for RPG Maker XP, and the second is for RPG Maker VX:

RPG Maker XP
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis\Licenses]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis\Licenses\438839465]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis\Licenses\438839465\Trial]

"State"=hex:d6,f1,cf,6f,8e,d8,1d,d8,23,ff,93,ee,a5,5e,d8,84,4f,cb,c3,06,c4,d9,\

86,73,3d,dd,9a,a1,a3

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis\Licenses]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis\Licenses\438839465]

"Ffg8YQgm49nQGBOS"="HKkFTV4H9P3zI0/ZUBSSWJar6s8"

"ReleaseCode"="309396A1D2D79E0FE2A7"

"Version"="1.3.7"

"Verification"=hex:98,ec,72,c9,e0,a3,99,4a,b7,2a,17,fb,ca,55,f9,08,c8,38,58,0a,\

e9,ec,a5,6b,0e,a7,9f,57,f1,00,fd,5c,1e,76,bb,9a,eb,88,a8,a1,5f,7d,ad,67,57,\

97,a4,55,e5,38,13,f6

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis\Licenses\438839465\Trial]

"Terms"=hex:d6,f1,cf,6f,8e,d8,1d,d8,3d,ff,ac,ef,9e,61,d8,84,4f,46,e4,06,ff,e6,\

86,73,3d,dd,9a,a1,29

RPG Maker VX
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis\Licenses]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis\Licenses\438848462]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis\Licenses\438848462\Trial]

"State"=hex:f2,b5,66,bf,da,9b,42,53,6e,0b,55,cc,ab,02,83,ef,2c,a5,38,eb,ec,42,\

23,31,b9,35,d0,d5,13

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis\Licenses]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis\Licenses\438848462]

"LpxXU/2AvhBzjA+V"="SLR/aMreuFxa2F2++aYViVgofQY"

"ReleaseCode"="F440E556A6B776EBD961"

"Version"="1.3.9"

"Verification"=hex:12,24,d8,df,26,90,25,4f,b6,23,e3,85,a8,6d,8d,d5,cf,31,2a,df,\

5e,79,d1,53,ad,60,1c,e8,d0,5c,e3,6a,a3,90,41,11,41,92,96,8b,68,d9,93,fe,13,\

d9,a0,b9,28,35,17,1b

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protexis\Licenses\438848462\Trial]

"Terms"=hex:f4,b5,66,bf,da,9b,42,53,70,0b,55,cc,84,43,83,ef,d2,29,1f,eb,c3,03,\

23,31,b9,35,d0,d5,5e

Wow. Thank you for stickying this. It might actually help to cut down on the recent rash of threads that need an immediate redirect to this tutorial. Unfortunately, there are some issues that have appeared more recently that have yet to be solved. These issues, which have been highlighted in several threads, appear to only affect a very small number of Vista users, and many seem to doubt their credulity. Still, my VIsta is one affected by this, and I have no idea what the problem is. Though, a possible solution might soon come into the light. I'll be testing a worst case scenario solution (Reinstallation of OS) on that computer for other reasons, most notably that it will no longer update. If that works, I'm updating this to include that problem and the only know solution.

Merk":1rrucypx said:
I got to the registry step and it still won't work. Does anyone know how to contact enterbrain support? I paid for it about a year ago.

What won't work? All the registry step will do is correct the nTitles error by giving you an expired trial copy. As to contacts, you'll actually want to talk to Protexis Inc, the company that handles purchases and licenses for Enterbrain.

Merk

Glitchfinder":ujlfynxv said:
Merk":ujlfynxv said:
I got to the registry step and it still won't work. Does anyone know how to contact enterbrain support? I paid for it about a year ago.

What won't work?

Even after applying the registry (and all the lower-level fixes) I still get the message "Failure to obtain trial serial number from ntitles server".

Merk":1dknuavi said:
Glitchfinder":1dknuavi said:
Merk":1dknuavi said:

What won't work?

Even after applying the registry (and all the lower-level fixes) I still get the message "Failure to obtain trial serial number from ntitles server".

Is this for XP or VX, and did you apply the correct registry patch?

Gray

I followed tutorials one and two. Now, instead of the RGSS player simply not responding, I need an admins password to get onto it, and when I do start it up, I get a blue screen. I repaired the repair though, so it's sorted. But the RGSS player still doesn't work. :|

Yin

I have another error to report, that I don't know how to fix. It's an audio problem. It crashes when sounds are played and I have lots of music. Sound effects play well, I think it has to do with the fact that it's a wav file. I don't know what to do, I don't want to have a completely silent game. It only does this in playtest and sound test, so something screwey is going on because when I play from game.exe it works fine... Perfect in fact. Anyone have any suggestions? I just bought this laptop, and now, I'm really regretting it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.