Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RTAB Add-On: Connected Attacking v 1.02

Cygnea

Sponsor

Skills with multiple hits! I've been wanting this for a long time.

DerVVulfman, you're amazing, and thank you very much! :)

The demo's got.... EVERYTHING!

I also included Sephiroth Spawn's Skill Requirements script so some skills won't function unless certain items are equipped, or such...
The KGC Overdrive script (version 2 for my BattleStatus Mod script).
and
Trickster's Steal, Mug and Scan v6 (RTAB Modified version)

Did I mention that the demo's got everything?

Dreath

How many add-ons will RTAB eventually possess? O_o

Great work. I know some people have been looking forever for this, me included. Kinda hard to figure out how to make it works, but I'll figure eventually.

And yes, it got everything. ;)

Cygnea

Sponsor

Wonderful, wonderful! :D

I can't play the demo right now (I'm on a different computer than usual) but I'll be sure to try it out when I get the chance.

It's up to Cogwheel. They're still updating RTAB (Which is why I'm not rewriting it guys! You know who you two are. :D ).

Version 1.15 only came out a couple of weeks ago.

Whoooooooooooot you are Oprah²! :D

I do have a problem though: I looked through the entire Connected Attacking Ver1.02 script and didn't find any piece of script which allows me to select which skills do multiple hits? :/

It's that you create a battle animation in the 'Animation' tab of the database, applying the 'HIT' tag twice (or more). Then you assign a skill, item or weapon HIT (target animation) to that animation. If you look at my demo, I modified um... I think animation #67? or 57 (sword-skill 1) to have 2 hits. Then the sword-skilll 1 animation used by the Cross Cut skill deals out the damage.

So, it's not selecting the skill itself, it's creating or modifying the animation that shows which does it.

Hmm, strange. I copied the 'HIT' flash and repeated it 3 times in other frames but still the same amount of hits?

Edit: Nevermind it worked. I do have a question though: since the script uses that dark-green color, how do you get that color in an normal battle animation without triggering multi-hit..?

*in heaven*

Alright i copied the script... and it doesn't work... but I also don't have the Advanced Battlers... do I need the advanced battlers or something?

J-Man. No, you don't need Animated Battlers. Dunno what you're doing so let me re-explain the usage of the system.

This script utilizes the RMXP's Database's 'Battle Animations' to create the multiple hits. Yep, those nice and cool flashes with special effects like slashes or explosions that occur on the target is what this script REALLY uses.

Now, some may think that you tag a skill or item with this script, but that is wrong. What you do is edit or create a 'Battle Animation' to show multiple hits. I'll explain the 'Battle Animation' portion first. Let's go into the RMXP database right now and hit the [Animations] tab along the top so we can SEE a 'Battle Animation'.

As an example of a normal animation, look at the very first one that performs damage: 004: Hit . On the right side of the screen, you'll see a window (SE and Flash Timing) that controls the sound effects and flash effects. The first line shows a sound effect. Big whoop. But, the second line shows a single FLASH and has a 'Hit' condition.

Unfortunately, this is too small an animation to mess with, but at least you see the FLASH and 'Hit' condition that I'll be talking about.

Now, let's go down the list of 'Battle Animations' to animation
067: Sword-skill 1. This skill is used by the 'Cross Cut' skill. But, I'll get into that later.

Sword-skill 1 has one sound effect and two FLASH & 'Hit' lines. Let's have some fun, shall we? Now the initial flashes you see here do nothing. But, let's add one more... inbetween the two we already see. Go into the window and copy/paste the #3 Frame flash so you have one more FLASH in there. Make 2 copies of them.

Go into the very first flash frame (the one directly below the sound effect)Turn the 'condition' of this flash to 'none' (because this flash animation will not show a hit effect). Confused? What we just did is create a flash frame that will effect the following 'HIT' flash.

Huh? Well, we're not done yet. Now, we have to edit this Flash's color spectrum. Change the red down to ... um... let's say 5, and change the green value down to 75 (don't go above 100!). Now, change the last two to 0. Now, you're done with this event. Go to the 3rd flash event, just above the #6 frame flash (ie second from the last), and do the same to THIS flash event as you did to the first one. Also, change it's flash frame from #6 to #3. Now, you're done.

Let's now look at the whole flash animation series for this 'Battler Animation':
1 A Sound Effect
2 #3 Flash (a copy of #3 that we edited) We set it to 'none' and changed the color
3 #3 Flash... we didn't edit this.
4 #6 Flash (another copy of #3 that we edited) We set it to 'none' and changed the color
5 #6 Flash... no change here

The 2nd and 4th effects... our edits... has now been linked to the 3rd and 5th Flashs that shows a 'hit' condition. What we did with the colors is change the damage and skill use ratios with the red and green colors.

Now, when the 1st and 2nd HIT flashs occur, our edits (with the color edit) now display their 'damage' hits. The amount of damage is based on our color edits, using the values we edited WITH the colors we set in edit.

Oh, and special note: Do not set Red beyond 20 or Green beyond 100! Division by 0 is a terrible thing. (Hey, I didn't make the script!)

Now, about tagging a skill. You don't. I just ran you through the editing of a 'Battle Animation'. What you do is assign an edited 'Battle Animation' TO a skill or item of your choice. It is the 'Battle Animation' that controls the multiple-hit system.

As an example, let's change the battle animation of the 'Cross Cut' skill to our revised 067: Sword-skill 1 animation. Oh, waitaminute! It already HAS that 'Battle Animation'! So, it'll apply a 2nd hit already!

Course, with all this flexibility, we could just make a full copy of the '004: Hit' animation (like skill # 120 or something), and repeatedly make:

Flash-edit (color formula & no hit)
Flash-Normal 'Hit' Effect

And, make a 4-hit battle animation for a single skill or item (I'm thinking fragmantation grenade!).

Alright... I understand all that :S It is just whenever I try to do the FLASH/Hit thingy... no damage comes from it... did I put my script in the wrong place? (again?) Or is it something else I need to do with the script or something...

Um, when I typed above... I missed a spot. VERY simply it's like this:
EDIT of Flash ('none' condition... and color edit for damage formula)
A Flash (condition set to 'hit')! This shows the damage, using the above formula
Another EDIT of Flash ('none' condition... and color edit for damage formula)
Another Flash (condition set to 'hit')! This shows the damage, using the above formula
Rinse...
Repeat...

So, each 'hit' needs a corresponding 'none'-condition Edit with the color formula.

Just in case, I uploaded and linked a 'barebones' demo to the 1st post. Nuthin' but RTAB and this script... and an edited 'Animation' (067: Sword-skill 1 of course ).

Alright... I got it working :D

Now is there a way to just add a small thing to it? Like how many hits you do to it? Like you know um... like a small display showing like if you hit an enemy with a skill that does 5 hits while you hit an enemy normally and that is 6 hits and then another skill that does 4 hits then it makes 10 hits... and you have to keep the combo going as fast as you can before the display leaves again. Is it possible to do that? :P

ERROR ERROR

Wrong number of arguments (2 for 1):
Code:
        make_skill_action_result(battler, attack[1] - 100)

It's on line 262 of Connected Attacking Ver1.02, in the following piece of code:
Code:
    # Connected attacking frequency amount damage calculation is done
    for attack in serial
      # It diverges with classification of action
      case battler.current_action.kind
      when 0  # Basic
        if battler.is_a?(Game_Actor)
          # When the battler is the actor, when attacking the weapon is modified
          battler.change_weapon(base_id + attack[1] - 100)
        end
        make_basic_action_result(battler)
      when 1  # Skill
        # Of thing of cooperation skill is thought, modification of skill ID 
        # does with internal processing
        make_skill_action_result(battler, attack[1] - 100)
      when 2  # Item
        # Setting amount it changes item ID
        battler.current_action.item_id = base_id + attack[1] - 100
        make_item_action_result(battler)
      end

I get this when trying to initiate a skill and sometimes randomly when the RTAB bar fills up. If you could tell me what the problem could be I'll check it out. :)

To J-Man: The number of multiple-hits is pre-set during design. You can't keep it going like hitting the [action] key... though it would've been sweet if you could.

To Twin-Matrix: Hmmm... I'll look into it. Probably a conflict with another RTAB code... if it's Animated Battlers the fix may be easy... dunno.

To T-M: The fix is ALREADY THERE! :D. I updated Animated Battlers to version 1.3 just for this.

Comment out of Connected Attacking lines 29 to 79 (def Action_Phase). Doesn't seem to affect much, but it TOTALLY conflicts with the battler's MOVING from place to place.

Next, in the Animated Battlers v 1.3 script, there's a new switch called $RTAB_Connected_Attacking which must be true to work WITH Connected Attacking (must be false if NOT using it).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.