Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[RP] Altus

altus_title.png

Sign-up thread:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=75827

OOC thread:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=75828

altus_map.png

skyr.png

Guidelines
  • I made the world purposefully to parallel a late 19th century Europe. Technology and architecture may differ but culture, manneurisms, clothes, ways of talking, etc. are still largely the same. Your characters should act similar as if they were in Victorian Britain.
  • Please use the maps, they're there for a reason! This especially applies to the map of Skyr. It will get very confusing very fast if you don't refer to the maps.
  • You must post at least once every two to three weeks. This is quite a generous time when you think about it, since your posts really don't have to be that much. If you don't post within two weeks, something terrible will happen to your character. (they will die)
  • When you start off, you must make your way to Lewis' apartment. If your character isn't from Skyr, then they'll probably have a hard time finding Lewis, if they've never been there before. Maybe you'll run into another character along the way, who knows? Just find a way to get there somehow.
  • If you're confused as to what's going on, don't be afraid to ask in the OOC thread.
  • Try and keep things as chronological as possible. Read what others are posting and advance the story according to what's going on with their posts.
  • I've created as little of this world as I could get away with. It's essentially an enormous blank canvas for you guys to paint. I have a few ideas of what will happen but I want to be surprised as to what you'll come up with. Use your imaginations when describing the setting! Don't be afraid to take the lot in an entirely new direction! Go nuts!

It Begins.

Today was the day.

Lewis shut the door behind him, grunting with the effort it took to use the rusted brass hinges. The door closed with a feeble click, and Lewis was alone. He inhaled a mote of dust and coughed, placing his satchel on a small stand by the door.

Lewis flicked a rusted switch on the wall. Amvoltic current surged through the ceiling light, and Lewis’ apartment was bathed in a dull glow. The front room was sparsely decorated, and piles of books littered the floor. Lewis walked over to a window on the far side of the room, stubbing his toe on a stray tome and cursing.

The clouds hung low over downtown Skyr. Three storeys below Lewis, the city came to life. Street vendors, scattered across Falcon Court, displayed their wares proudly, in the hopes of making a profit. Lewis spotted a clothing vendor from which he had bought a pair of wool mittens only minutes before. Steam-powered carriages zipped through the crowd of people, giving birth to clouds of gas that permeated the narrow spaces between buildings.

The noise from the street was audible even through sealed glass, the shouting and arguing and general chatter of city life. The sound of laughter was noticeably absent, a sound that seemed less familiar by the day.

Above Lewis towered skyscrapers from all sides. Skyr, thought Lewis, seemed to grow higher with every new year that passed. The trend was upwards, and height meant power. The architecture of the apartments on the east side of the city where Lewis lived was a mishmash of what happened to be popular at the time. No single style dominated; rather, remnants of every era were glued together in a way that was uniquely Libennian.

Dozens of bridges were strung between buildings, criss-crossing the air above the street like a spider’s web. The routes spanned the gap and functioned as above-ground pathways, built to alleviate the city’s overcrowding issue. Lewis watched as civilians marched back and forth across the bridges, hundreds of feet above the ground, not giving a second thought to the incredibly complex network that was Skyr.

And high into the sky, higher than even the tallest building in Skyr, the airspace bustled with activity. Lewis craned his neck to see the space above, and even as the skyscrapers reduced his view to a sliver, he could still see dozens of gliders and airships cruising above the city.

The chiming of the grandfather clock in Lewis’ bedroom reminded him of the task at hand. The clock struck twelve, and Lewis knew that his guests would be arriving shortly. Wiping away the sweat on his forehead, he set out to make his apartment as presentable as possible.

As Lewis cleaned, a sense of overwhelming anxiety and helplessness set in. These weren’t unusual feelings, but they were no less unpleasant when they came. The incredible task ahead of Lewis hung over him, heavy and burdening, weighing him down. He was afraid, desperately so, of the struggle that would inevitably come.

Lewis reached his hand into his pocket and wrapped his fingers around the object inside. He ran his fingers over the smooth, glossy surface of the pyramid-like object, feeling the notches and grooves etched into the machine. Lewis slowed the pace of his breath. Help was on the way, he thought to himself. Soon, the men and women that would help make his dream a reality would walk through his front door.

And then the journey could begin.

( :rock: it's started!)

After observing the flyer in his hand, Edger sighs very loudly, believing that this promise of an expedition and riches would just be some company trying to drum up business for itself.
He continues on regardless, after walking own chittim street, near to falcon court, Edgar sees a rather fetching Libennian woman, he walks up to her and says (in libennian) with his attlanian accent "I have never seen a woman so beautiful as you before, I am Edgar, may I ask your name?"
Flattered, the woman says "Yes, My name Is Ste..."
Just then a rather strong looking man cuts in and says "What do you think you're doing!"
Puzzled, Edgar replies "What do you mean?"
The man replies "I mean, Stephanie is my woman!, if you want her you'll have to go though me first!"
Edgar thought about it, knowing he could take this man, but then realized that it may attract unwanted attention and jeopardize the mission.

Walking away Edgar says "I shall return, Dear Stephanie and we shall meet again"
"Goodbye Edgar" Calls Stephanie from behind.
Edgar then walks across falcon court and finds the location of Lewis' apartment, Edgar planned it out in his head, open Lewis' door with ease Edgar scream "Kill Him!" in Norvanian, and upon seeing the shock on Lewis' face he'd laugh and say in libennian "Just messin' with ya, i'm here for that trip to the great mountains of the west, where do I sign up?"
Still laughing he says "You should've seen the look on your face"

Spoo

Sponsor

The flyer had descended unto Hall like an angel from the heavens. Well, an angel that would have slapped into his face and given him a papercut, but an angel nonetheless. In the unfortunate mess Hall was in, any work, even that asking for naive fortune seekers was welcome.

Hall himself was no adventurer; he was far too much of a cynic to believe that there is yet undiscovered riches in the world, and besides, he never had fancied the notion of spending his adult life working for low pay and poor benefits searching for fairy tale lands that might not even exist. Still, though, at least this job needed an engineer. Maybe that meant little more than maintenance was expected of him for this venture.

That was, of course, assuming he even got the job. Though the place Hall was supposed to be going was in his own apartment building, he'd never heard tell of his potential employer; this man could easily see the lack of zeal in Hall's eyes and turn him away before even giving him a chance. Or he might accept him with little care. Whatever the case, Hall figured he'd be a fool not to shoot for the only chance at a paying job he'd recieved in months. Arriving at the apartment door, Hall brushed off his jacket and knocked on the door.

regi

Sponsor

As the red and crimson streaks of day faded away, so too did Sheryl's rage.

Sheryl stared over the marshy lands to the speck on the horizon, the day's events quickly forgotten. Even from afar, the city looked vibrant and bustling with activity. Hundreds of ships, small as a dot, hovered over tall slivers of buildings. The hazy air, clouded with steam, shimmered lazily. The setting sun illuminated the town, reflecting off structures and coloring the scenery golden brown. As she approached the harbor, the murmurs of civilization reached her eyes.

Piloting the stolen Norvanian vessel, Sheryl felt a cool breeze brush against her left human hand, bringing with it a small slip of paper. Humming quietly -- for music was the only sound she could make -- she glanced at the advertisement and tossed it. She turned to the controls and grasped the lever that would start her descent.

The silence was broken by three taps at the front door. Lewis was hoisted from deep thought and found himself preparing to greet his visitor.

It would be the first of many, he hoped, and as Lewis turned the rusted brass knob, his heart raced. As the door opened and sunlight poured inside, Lewis wondered just who this man would be.

Lewis felt himself at a loss for words, unsure of how to greet the man that stood on his doorstep. Seconds passed, and only the sound of hard-working engines and bustling city streets were heard.

"Welcome," Lewis said. "Welcome. W...welcome."

(I hope that wasn't about my character because I missed out a tiny bit in my last post that implies that, when he finds lewis' apartment the rest is all in his head sry for any confusion that may have caused :crazy: )

Stood outside the supposed location of the expedition, Edgar thought to himself "An apartment!? Seriously!?" Edgar couldn't believe it at first, he thought that if some was looking to go on an expedition they would be in a massive building with an endless amount of money to pay everyone for their services, but, if Edgar learned anything while working with trisec it's that looks can be deceiving, he was just about to walk into the building...

"Edgar!" someone called "Edgar you stay right there!" he turns round to find that woman from before, Stephanie standing in front of him
"Wait" she says
"Look, I'm about to go on a long and dangerous expedition, I don't want to be late, but don't worry, I'll be back"
"Fine then, here" Stephanie says handing Edgar something
"What's this?" Edgar asked
"It's so you don't forget who you're coming back for, Ciao" Stephanie replies as she walked off
Edgar looked at what she had handed him, It was a photo, a photo of Stephanie, Smiling, he put in in his pocket and turned back to the apartment building, hoping that there would be no more distractions...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.