Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Renasci: Cinder [69/100 Hrs]

I'm joining the fray! I hope you guys don't mind.

11/01/2011
So far I worked on the battle system yesterday with my friend. It took us a while to finally finalized the idea. In the end, we decided to go with Shadow of Colossus inspiration.

This is how we imagined the battles:
BPKvv.png

Then she made me a very ugly, pseudo code so I would get the idea.
LaynY.png

The idea is the same as SoC. It's pure exploration. But when battles arrive, they become puzzles. There's 4 classes you can choose from -- each having their own specialty. A Soldier has more stamina and strength to actually defeat the Eldritch abominations. While a Farmer, having above average stamina, might have to rely on his luck to try to beat them down. A Doctor might be average but has unique skills to offer. And so forth. The idea is based on Chess, so the player's default movement is of a pawn, meaning 2 tiles worth of movement. (In chess you can move 2 tiles as long as it's your area. But in this one, being a literal pawn sounds tedious and boring).

Almost everything in the environment is interactive. In that screenshot's case, the goal of the game is to reach the door. The class of the enemy is a rook, meaning his line of vision and movement is a cross (+). So there are ways to win this. Assume that the character is a Soldier with a Rocket Launcher. He can fire his Rocket diagonally to destroy the rock there and block the enemy for a small amount of turns. By then, he has enough time to actually reach his destination. Or what he can do is somehow move the bushes so it will serve as a blockade that he wouldn't be seen. Or he can chop off the bush behind the enemy put a distraction somewhere and just sneak in. The possibility is plenty! That is at least the idea.

I'll have to finish the gui graphics and research more about diagonal detection. but I can imagine that it's get the x/y coordinates then either +1/-1 it to get the exact coordinates.

I was talking to my friend and the entire concept of Cinder changed. We felt that it's boring and too serious to work on, considering our real life status. After a talk, we finished making concept arts and other things and even finalized the plot.
Let's just say the entire remake ate most of our time! I'm surprised of the the time we were done. Summary is below:

YLz7Q.png

Timeline
24 hours went into the writing of the story and part of the gameplay talk.
** Funny enough, this friend of mine sleeps over and make the story events by lucid dreaming. It's crazy. After 12 hrs (long sleep!), we finalized the details and went to work with the concept graphics, naming the characters and changing their appearances and looks, etc. What resulted from the dream was a 22 page story outline from beginning to end... with small game mechanics here and there.

**We also talked about emulating certain styles for the game, Mana is always so versatile in terms of dynamic lighting~ But in the end, we put this on halt and focused on the important aspects.

**At this point, my friend was hunting through her sea of folders for music. We found a good OST but we might change it depending on the circumstances.
17 hrs went into the finalization of the story line and testing various VX scripts and mechanics. It resulted to a failure. :eek:uch: In the end we decided to go with an evented battle system. It looked like this at first:

DfeIi.png

Failed DBS edit. She said that the battler script was given to her a long time ago and she thought it *might* work. Well it works, just not with other scripts haha...

FGy7c.png

Beta Evented Battle System

24 hours went to the first set of remade graphics and talking more about the gameplay. The Graphics took a while considering the art noveau look the game has. At this point, we already finished the Battle GUI layout. As my friend summarizes it, "It was hell...I'm being whipped back and forth!" She told me not to post it here since it's better to post it as a video(!) than a screenshot.

Equivalent of 65 hrs?! I thought we just clocked 40 hours, but after doing some maths...damn. Well...that was unexpected. We might as well aim for 100 hours. If you are curious about the time, the work is done from 7 pm to 6/10 am.

Some joke stuff we made (and some serious ones) while planning. :boo:
ZnGNg.jpg

gog6y.png

otUSA.png

Ygf5q.png

OxKR1.png

Today, we had been debating about what stats to use and other technical side of the battle system. It ended with a draw and we decided to list all the features we're going to do. At least we finished that~

We're still hush-hush as it's probably going to change again.
Afterwards, we talked about the general look and feel of the game. This is what we came up with.

sLSms.jpg

We're both tired and would probably finish it off tomorrow.
Spent at least 4 hours today to work on the game and figuring out some logic.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.