Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Relationship eventing?

Lysen

First, I'd like to apologize if there's a topic like this, but my Net has been going in and out every other minute and I wasn't able to search through every page. It also seems to not want to display certain parts of the site...  :dead:

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is make it so that while talking to party members or during certain events, what you choose can either make the person like you more, less, or doesn't affect how they think of you (depending on the options), which could be kept track of using "points" I guess. Like answering positively gets you +2 points or something? And, if possible, be able to adjust it with multiple party members at the same time?

Like, for instance, the town is burning and a little girl is trapped in a house that's on fire and you go in to save her. There also happens to be a chest in the room with the girl. If you open the chest first, everyone currently in your party will loss -5 affection points. Saving the girl first earns you +5 for everyone in your party. Or in another event, two members ask your opinion on which way to go (of course they each think their way is best). Going with one over the other will of course increase your points for one, and lower it for the other. And at the end of the game, you get an ending with the person the player has the highest points for.

I SORTA understand how to go about doing this, but I have no idea how to have the game keep track of the points.

Is there an easy way to do this, as well as a way for the player to see the affection levels for each individual member?

I DO have an "Affection" script, but someone on CA mentioned it could be done through eventing instead. Unfortunately, they didn't really explain how and the topic is months old...

So, help? I apologize for so much text, but I wanted to try and be as clear as possible.  :smile:

(Thanks in advance!)

Brewmeister":6n4ygppd said:
By using nested Conditional Branches, you can do this with 0 switches & 0 extra variables...
Just check the girl with the highest priority first.
Code:
@>Conditional Branch: Variable[0001: Girl A affection] >= 100
    @> ### Do ending A
  : Else
    @>Conditional Branch: Variable[0002: Girl B affection] >= 100
        @> ### Do ending B
        @>Conditional Branch: Variable[0003: Girl C affection] >= 100
            @> ### Do ending C
            @> ### Do ending D (no girls qualify)
         : Branch End
      :Branch End
  :Branch End
@>

Just a thought....  :scruff:

Be Well

This would work, unless you have girl A with 105 points and girl B with 110 points. Girl A still gets it. It doesn't quite work completely. It doesn't check for all of the options. A will always get it unless it doesn't have 100 points. My way checks all of the options. It is lengthy but it works....

x, I thought he said the scoring ended at 100, and then the priority kicked in if more than
one girl was at 100.

ballow009":16edgnyz said:
i got a problem brewmeister.... I follow the "Penelope event" but when I got some perfumes only 1 the switch in the 2nd page of the event [var:001 penelope affection] greater than equal to [5]...will be activate automatically.... but all i need is 5 to activate the second page...means 5 perfumes.. but in my situation 1 perfume = 5 affection points >.< wierd O_O

2nd problem is the variable [penelope affection]+=1 right! if i give him perfumes is should add up and activate the 2nd page...but the problem is when I give her a perfume ....I think the variable doesnt go up and remain 1, coz I still cant go to the 2nd page... I think already give her so many perfumes O_O

Ballow, if you want each perfume to be worth 5 points, then change the conditional on page 2 to 25 points (or "points per item" x "number of items required")

In the 2nd problem. You need to change the "operation" on the "control variables" command from "set" to "add". "Set" will keep setting it to 1 explicitly. "Add" will add the Constant to the current value.

Be Well

errrr....the 1st ...you didnt get me...
in the penelope event...you must give her 5 perfumes to be able to marry her...
but in my side.. when i give her 1 perfume, I can marry her quick ...it means that if i gave her 1 perfume it automatically jumps on the 2nd page... but I must give her 5 perfume first before it jumps to 2nd page right >.< ....its confusing @_@

regi

Sponsor

If you want her to marry you after you give her 5 perfumes, set each time you give her a perfume to add 1 to the variable, and on the second page, set the conditions "Variable 1: Penelope Affection > 5". If you want her to marry you after 9, 10, or 11 perfumes, just change that number to the variable condition.

SPN!  You just made my game about 45 feet deeper!  That's a great idea.  I never really thought about that in such a way.  Thank you so much!

And a side note:  If all I had to do is buy my girlfriend 11 perfumes to get her to marry me... I would have saved a LOT of money on that ring.

oh sorry....I didnt notice that the variable that i was using was used on the time system >.<...
it uses the variables 001,002,003,004 and 005 >.<...

I try the penelope event using 006 variable ...and it work now >.< sorry for the confusing error XD heheheeh...thnx for replying  ^__^

Star

Sponsor

Mikee":1vc8522q said:
SPN!  You just made my game about 45 feet deeper!  That's a great idea.  I never really thought about that in such a way.  Thank you so much!

And a side note:  If all I had to do is buy my girlfriend 11 perfumes to get her to marry me... I would have saved a LOT of money on that ring.
HAHHAHAHHAHAA..  XD 

If I bought my Girlfriend 11 perfumes she would get the impression that I think she stinks XD  And probably smack me for -5 Affection points.

This is a great idea.  I love it because my project is actually a Star Ocean Game with the ABSystem, and I'm also using Private Actions (PA's)  so this is going to be sweet

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.