Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Re: Echoside: 120 hours \m/

Disclaimer: All graphics and music generated here is exclusive to my project, please do not use them or redistribute them without asking me for permission first! Other than that, you're free to use whatever script I post here and I encourage you to notify me if there is any errors. Please note that I do not have a working battle system at all, so anything battle related hasn't been tested.

Oh yes, this tutorial took an hour to write. It took me less time to draw the cactus than to write the tutorial, so I'm only counting compiling the tutorial on its own, 1 hour.

Cactus Tutorial
I worked on two tracks. I usually spend an hour on whatever music I'm working on before I can't deal with it any more, so I'll say two tracks, two hours.

Monster Bumps
For Your Twisted Amusement

This panorama was originally airbrushed earlier in the year with Photoshop, so I'm not counting those hours. However, I will count the hours that I spent converting it from an airbrush pic to purely pixel art. 10 hours.

Heavenly-Skyline1.gif

Started a Quake-type animation, the ground splitting and all that fun jazz, 1 hour.

Quake.png

Spent about an hour on TV screens. I'm going to have to sit down and draw a bunch of basic TV sets, figure out my different shapes and sizes, and continue from there.

TV%20Screens.png
I've spent an hour tweaking and fine tuning my custom windowskin system and various other options to my Config menu, just to make things more efficient.
Config%20-%20Windowskin.png

Starting male animated battler template. The sword idle pose is new, the rest have been there. Its sprited up to the 'for sake of function' level, I'll do details later on. I'm trying to get all the poses for different weapons done.

Battle-Animation.gif
Granted, two hours of this was me wasting my time, making a bunch of tracks that I couldn't get to go together for the life of me. So I deleted two hours of nonsense then afterwards I banged this out in about a half hour. So "meh," its something done at least ;D

Shadows in the Dark
See post.
Dug through a pool of 103 BGMs, looped each one a few times, took notes on what sounds bad and needs changed. A few of them have been archived because, while I might still listen to them, I doubt they'll be useful as game music. Made some new tracks too!

Funk This Nonsense!
Just Another Suburb
Lair of Necromancy
Quaintboro Logistics

Been working since 7am, now its a few mins from 2pm. Seven hours!
Remember those TV screen animations from a few days back? Well, now I have 4 character sets for TVs. That took me about an hour, but I'm happy with how the newscaster turned out.

TV-Sets1.gif

I spent another hour and a half writing about modern technology, and how some of it will be interactive with my project. For instance, the cell phone unlocking the party menu, you can listen to a TV like you would an NPC, the laptop allows you to remotely control your vehicles and save anywhere, etc.
Just see post, I'll update this later.
Well... this day was mostly a waste of time. I did some minor updates to music files based on notes taken a few days ago, which took up about 2 hours. The other SIX hours I spent trying to get anything done involved interruptions every 5 minutes over mostly petty bullshit, so I'm dividing that in half and yeah lets just say 5 hours of actual *work* done. Yeah, that sounds about right, I'm sticking to that.
This is basically a continuation of everything I worked on yesterday, but this time things are coming to fruitation. See post for more details.
You can see my work down below. I'll probably take the rest of the day off after this.

Yeah, I'm not updating this anymore^ haha

Total: 121 hours MOTHERFUCKER \m/ (as of November 29th.)

My nick is already registered by somebody else but I'll make a point to stop in IRC more often regardless. I kind of miss when #slackers was #hbgames on the slacked server :(

I'm always writing down what to do next but don't really gauge the productivity cycles of what has already been done. This contest reminds me that I should log my completed workload and in-progress stuff, just so I can find good trends and debunk bottlenecks in my development process.

btw; added cactus tutorial in top post, its development related too ;D

Updated top post, mostly just fiddling around with script stuff. Since I've been like a year or two sober, I tend to make more script problems than I solve. Matter of fact, I think I just broke something :(

I'll probably stop by and grab a beer after work tonight, treat myself to something refreshing so I can sit down and do the damn thing!

Beware of shadows in the dark my friends, the ghost of the person on the other side of the screen might hit you with too much reverb. Nah, on a serious note, its a rough mix, I probably got carried away with some effects.

This track here is supposed to be the sister track to it, they go to the same dungeon. There is a vast difference in volume and effects levels, I'll have to re-apply everything in the new track until they transition nicely together. In case you're wondering, "Dark Caverns" is just your regular cave explore song, while "Shadows in the Night" is supposed to be when things start getting more serious.

Woohoo, logged another hour! I altered all the effects and volume levels of both tracks, they should transition nicely together now. Made some minor sprite edits, diddled around with some mapping. Fun times!

Anyways, gonna update the top post and hurry off to work.

I'm going to try and crank out some significant hours tonight, hopefully it'll put a dent in our average. I only work 3.5 hours tonight (job-wise, not game making), some kind of meeting I have to attend to. I'm aiming to get at least 4 hours of work done prior to 12am, although I'll probably do some more stuff after midnight lol

EDIT: Okay, killing time before work, got another half hour in to make a new track. This one is going nicely, I already have plans on what to do when I come home to finish it.

Seven hours! That track from last night is finished, I got 3 new tracks done today as well. Several other pieces to the OST have been revisited, and notes taken on others that I sat down and listened to. Some rejects were sent to the reject folder, some things are neat to listen to but simply can't envision being in a game. There are a couple turds that I've been hanging onto as well, they're in my recycle bin finally.

Tomorrow (or later tonight) I plan on going through and revisiting some work from the previous days, finish the quake animation, make those TV sets, etc. Then again, who knows, I'm disorganized and haven't been keeping to plans lately, I might do something entirely different lol.

lol I just keep trying to push it! I've been trying to get to this all day since 11am, but my daughter is on my ass today.

TV-Sets.gif

Sample TVs, 30 minutes. Hopefully she'll leave me alone long enough for me to do get more done.

TV-Sets1.gif

Okay, kiddos have officially worn me out today, I went to rest my head for 5 minutes and woke up realizing I just took a 5 hour nap. I did get the generic news caster screenie done, but so much for getting a bunch of other stuff done on my day off! D:

My test and event bed is growing. I made a map that has all my commonly used events, such as doors, treasures, treasure + key, pit falls, etc. Wrote some scripts for weapon effects : drain, osmosis, sacrifice HP/MP, randomly cast [assigned spell] for 0 MP, but have yet to test 'em all out.

I've got the basic "pick a random chest from the room for $" event already, but now I'm trying to do a movable chest scramble. I also went to my snowboarding map and added obstacles such as trees, rocks and debris that each take down HP. Lastly, I remade my set of "rocks that randomly fall around your player's walking area" event that was in my last project.

I've got ideas pouring out of my head, so I'm trying to catch them all in buckets and dump 'em in a .doc file before they wind up all over my floor. Logging approx 2 hours for now, I'll update top post later.

New stuff done today, 7.5 hours total work! (4am-11:30am)

House Interior
%5BKN%5D-House01-Interior1.png

House Exterior
%5BKN%5D-House01-Exterior.png

Southwest Boogie.mp3

Weapons.Absorb
Code:
#===============================================================================

# ** Weapons : Absorb

#===============================================================================

if Object.const_defined?(:SDK)

SDK.log('Weapons.Absorb', 'Kain Nobel ©', 3.5, '2011.09.11')

end

# ** RPG::Weapon

class RPG::Weapon

#=============================================================================

# ** RPG::Weapon::Absorb

#=============================================================================

module Absorb

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * HP Percent

HP = {

}

# * SP Percent

SP = {

}

# * Default Values

HP.default = 0

SP.default = 0

end

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * Absorb HP/SP ?

def absorb_hpsp?

return true if Absorb::HP[@id] > 0

return true if Absorb::SP[@id] > 0

false

end

# * Absorb HP Effect

def absorb_hp_effect(n)

percentile = Absorb::HP[@id]

Integer(n.percent([[percentile, 0].max, 200].min))

end

# * Absorb SP Effect

def absorb_sp_effect(n)

percentile = Absorb::SP[@id] 

Integer(n.percent([[percentile, 0].max, 200].min))

end

end

# ** Game_Battler

class Game_Battler

# * Alias Listings

alias_method :weaponabsorb_gmbattler_attackeffect, :attack_effect

# * Attack Effect

def attack_effect(attacker)

result = weaponabsorb_gmbattler_attackeffect(attacker)

if self.weapon_absorb_effect?(attacker)

self.weapon_absorb_effect(attacker)

end

result

end

# * Weapon Absorb Effect ?

def weapon_absorb_effect?(attacker)

return false unless self.damage.is_a?(Integer)

return false unless attacker.respond_to?(:weapon_id)

weapon = attacker.weapon_id

return false unless weapon.is_a?(Integer) && weapon > 0

weapon = $data_weapons[weapon]

weapon.absorb_hpsp?

end

# * Weapon Absorb Effect

def weapon_absorb_effect(attacker)

weapon = $data_weapons[attacker.weapon_id]

attacker.hp += weapon.absorb_hp_effect(self.damage)

attacker.sp += weapon.absorb_sp_effect(self.damage)

end

end

Weapons.UseHP&SP
Code:

# ** Weapons : Use HP & SP

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * SDK Log

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if Object.const_defined?(:SDK)

SDK.log('Weapons.UseHP&SP', 'Kain Nobel ©', 3.5, '2011.09.11')

end

# ** RPG::Weapon

class RPG::Weapon

# * HP_Use = {weapon_id => [hp_direct, hp_percent, hp_required]}

#     weapon_id   : The ID of the weapon according to database

#     hp_direct   : HP loss when using weapon (Direct)

#     hp_percent  : HP loss when using weapon (Percent)

#     hp_required : Can you still attack if you don't have enough HP?

HP_Use = {

}

HP_Use.default = [0, 0, false]

# * SP_Use = {weapon_id => [sp_direct, sp_percent, sp_required]}

#     weapon_id   : The ID of the weapon according to database

#     sp_direct   : SP loss when using weapon (Direct)

#     sp_percent  : SP loss when using weapon (Percent)

#     sp_required : Can you still attack if you don't have enough SP?

SP_Use = {

}

SP_Use.default = [0, 0, false]

# * HP Loss ()

def hp_loss_d

HP_Use[@id][0]

end

# * HP Loss ()

def hp_loss_p

HP_Use[@id][1]

end

# * HP Loss ()

def hp_loss_r

HP_Use[@id][2]

end

# * SP Loss ()

def sp_loss_d

SP_Use[@id][0]

end

# * SP Loss ()

def sp_loss_p

SP_Use[@id][1]

end

# * SP Loss ()

def sp_loss_r

SP_Use[@id][2]

end

end

# ** Game_Battler

class Game_Battler

# * Alias Listings

alias_method :weaponsusehpsp_gmbattler_attackkeffect, :attack_effect

# * Attack Effect

def attack_effect(attacker)

# Skip attack effect if attacker uses weapon and doesn't have enough hp/sp

return true unless attacker.weapon_enough_hpsp?

# Apply the weapon's hp/sp effect to the attacker first

attacker.weapon_effect_hpsp

# The usual

weaponsusehpsp_gmbattler_attackkeffect(attacker)

end

# * Weapon Effect HP/SP

def weapon_effect_hpsp

# Skip method unless weapon ID is a valid integer

return unless @weapon_id.is_a?(Integer) && @weapon_id > 0

# Get the RPG::Weapon object

w = $data_weapons[@weapon_id]

# Apply direct and percent loss of HP/SP

self.hp -= w.hp_loss_d ; self.hp -= Integer(maxhp * (w.hp_loss_p * 0.01))

self.sp -= w.sp_loss_d ; self.sp -= Integer(maxsp * (w.sp_loss_p * 0.01))

# Leave at hp 1 if dead

self.hp = 1 if self.hp0?

end

# * Weapon Effect HP/SP?

def weapon_enough_hpsp?

# Automatically true if weapon's ID isn't a valid numeric

return true unless @weapon_id.is_a?(Numeric)

# Get the RPG::Weapon object

weapon = $data_weapons[@weapon_id]

# Unable to attack if insufficient direct HP/SP where required

return false if (self.hp < weapon.hp_loss_d) && weapon.hp_loss_r

return false if (self.sp < weapon.sp_loss_d) && weapon.sp_loss_r

# Unable to attack if an HP/SP percent is required and your HP or SP

# is only 1

return false if self.hp <= 1 && weapon.hp_loss_p > 0 && !weapon.sp_loss_r

return false if self.sp <= 1 && weapon.sp_loss_p > 0 && !weapon.sp_loss_r

# Attacking is allowed

true

end

end

My battle system situation prevents me from being able to test anything, I'm currently recoding it.

I've put in significant hours yesterday and today, but have yet to calculate them.

Anyways, worked on Quake animation some more. I even slapped together a little script that will allow me to set certain animations to appear underneath the target (because, lets face it, as epic as an earthquake happening on Undead01's face is, its not proper.) As "finished" as this script appears to be, its still WIP because later on I'm going to change it so, instead of only the whole animation being a 'ground animation', I'll have it dictate frames later.

Code:

# ** RPG::Animation

class RPG::Animation

# * Ground Animation IDs

GroundAnimation = [108]

end

# ** RPG::Sprite

class RPG::Sprite

# * Alias Listings

alias_method :fixz_animation,             :animation

alias_method :fixz_animation_set_sprites, :animation_set_sprites

alias_method :fixz_dispose_animation,     :dispose_animation

# * Animation

def animation(id, hit)

@_animation_id = id

fixz_animation(id, hit)

end

# * Dispose Animation

def dispose_animation

fixz_dispose_animation

@_animation_id = nil

end

# * Animation Set Sprites

def animation_set_sprites(sprites, cell_data, position)

fixz_animation_set_sprites(sprites, cell_data, position)

unless RPG::Animation::GroundAnimation.include?(@_animation_id)

for i in 0..15

sprite = sprites[i]

pattern = cell_data[i, 0]

next if sprite == nil or [nil, -1].include?(pattern)

sprite.z = 0

end

end

end

end

Oh yeah, and a new BGM: Quiet or They'll Hear You

I wrote some new concept notes on battle animations, both for character and spell effects. Since all/most of my main party is human, I'll template their animations and they'll have all actions such as idle, attack, spell, defend, escape, etc. The enemies on the other hand come in many different shapes and sizes so a template wouldn't work, I'm cutting them down to bare minimum key frames of idle, attack, death. Animation is a pain in the ass, so I'm keeping things as dynamic yet truly bare bones as possible.

Right now my CBS stands as generic FF style ATB (I made and am using everything except the FF7 characters, they're placeholders for this mockup.)

Battle%20Scene3.png

I'm thinking of still using ATB, but changing the battle screen layout to be more like Shining Force... maybe?

shinforce2-2.gif

Hell, I don't know what I'm doing, but... back to work! :D

UPDATE: Started over Quake animation.

Quake.gif

Oh yeah, updating database and Dr. Hybrida's lab, the scientist behind the "DARPA" program in my game. Basically, in the beginning you can procrastinate before doing your first mission by visiting the looney doctor, who wants to test new medicines on you. His treatments are a marvel, and he doesn't mind going as far as killing you a couple times just to prove that nobody can fuck with Dr. Hybrida's concoctions! Yes, you will die, yes, you will be revived, yes he'll give you some samples and no you cannot buy them in stores.

UPDATE: New ghost animated battler attack

Ghost.gif

Since I'm a n00b animator, I will be doing n00b animations such as this. Hopefully by the end of the month, I'll be able to do some kick ass shit! Oh yeah, and the quake animation has been updated too, it gets fatter now haha! And the whole 'crumbling into the void' of the dirt looks better now as well.

Quake1.png

Between spikes erecting from the ground, the floor cracking and a giant boulder landing on your head and cracking right open, not to mention the spinning quicksand animation, I figure I've done all I need to do with Quake.

New animated battler I named "Crazy Train" in tribute to Ozzy Osborne and Randy Rhoads (R.I.P.)! And yes, I do plan on adding a flame to that rocket.

Crazy-Train.gif

Started a mall tileset

%5BKN%5D-Mall.png

Updated my desert tileset too! Added a small palm tree, rocky cave entrance, blocked rocky cave entrance, rocky cave entrance with stairs, sand stairs, signs, rock variations, etc. I've been going all day, I'll post the rest of this stuff tomorrow.

Okay, its the next day and I'm right about here with my desert/beach tileset.

%5BKN%5D-Beach4.png

Spent 2 hours working on concept notes about my shop license system. "License... what do you mean," you ask? Well, the license system would run off of a group of variables and specially formulated to generate what items and equipment you can purchase and let you preview the next locked tier of goods. So for instance, if your Weapon License is Class C, you'll be able to purchase anything from weapon tiers D and C, a locked preview of tier B, while tiers A and S are still not even viewable yet.

Started working on my battle animations again. I really need to take my ass over to Pixelation and get some emergency help, my sword attack animation is poorly executed. It probably wouldn't hurt to study btwYeti's sprites too, I look up to that dude as an animator. The biggest difficulty I'm having is how to make a convincing sword swipe. There is something about the two hands joined together and the arms moving together, I just don't know how to do it correctly. (2 hours again, I think... I don't know anymore lol.)

Anim-Battler.gif

Battle%20Animation4.png

Kain's Semi-Naked Templates II : Battle Animation posted @ WotP forums.

I wasn't going to do anything today but work and rest and work again (at my job, not the game, I'm closing and then opening yuck!). Well, work is out of the way (round 1) but I have to go in first thing in the morning. Anyways, can't sleep, kid is sick, wife is sleeping diagonal, I'm not in the mood for bedroom Tetris so... new music track! :D

Take a trip to Outlaw City! Actually, this is just a simple but pleasing loop track for a town or city, only took me a half hour to crank this out. Anaryu once made a game called Outlaw City, which I remember actually being pretty fun, so I named my track in tribute.

Truth is, in the process of making that track, I started out by just attempting to extend my Boss Theme track. Half hour of that, then approximately 15 minutes to make this and hey I can't complain. Gonna try and catch a nap, c'ya!

In attempt to take a break today, I started playing that Modern Warfare 3 game I bought my stepson. I found myself getting quickly bored (its way better than that Black Ops game, but idk... MW2 was epic enough for me, I'm having a hard time caring anymore.) So yeah, got bored and decided to make some music, but wound up making gun sound effects instead.

Gun - Reload
Gun - Pistol (1 Shot)
Gun - Pistol (3 Shot)
Gun - Shotgun
Gun - Uzi (Burst Fire)
Gun - Uzi (Automatic)
Gun - Assault (Burst Fire)
Gun - Assault (Automatic)

I've done quite a bit of editing to that tileset up there, and quite a bit more is being added. Since my lead character will be going through basic training, I'm adding an obstacle course such as him having to go through a shallow creek, climb up a rope course, jump on the ledge and cross a narrow plank, so I've got the beginnings of that in the set now. Also, there is going to be two mine fields in basic training...

Field 1 : Follow the Flags

The player has no equipment for detecting mines but somebody has already crossed this field. The player must use faith and judgement to determine the safest path to cross. Flags are set as clues to where its safe to step, but they're set every 3 or so tiles away. If you see any foot prints, its probably good to follow them, ironically especially if it leads to an already blown up spot.

Field 2 : Radar Flagging

The player is equipped with Proximity Radar, he can see any mine that is within 5 tiles from him. The goal is to place flags properly around a mine path so that your allies know where to cross to avoid them. Putting a way point too close to a mine or having a mine in the middle of two way points is risky business, you have to ensure that this is a fail-safe path. If you see a trail of mines already blown up, its probably safe to use those as way points. Lastly, you may remote trigger no more than 3 mines to clear a path, some will domino effect over to the others.

I wrote some concept notes on battle actions too. I'm going to have a compound battle action selection menu, where the commands can scroll left and right as well as up and down. Example...

Attack -> Weapon Techs -> Steal
Magic -> Focus -> Charge
Defend -> Counter -> Cover
Item -> Equip

...something along those lines.

I'm going to attempt today (maybe, hopefully, no promises) a scope script for weapons. Each weapon has an attribute of single attack, selective attack 2 enemies, selective attack 3 enemies, selective attack 1 enemy (the rest get 25% spread damage), attack all enemies, etc. For instance, a shotgun would have that select 1 enemy the rest get 25% spread damage dealio. I also want to make gunners so they can switch from single round to burst fire to automatic in the middle of combat (depending on weapon.)

I'll figure out hours later, I don't know how long I've been writing lol. What I described is basic details, the notes are starting to get pretty in depth. I'm intimidated to script it all and am not sure if I'm going to stick with this CBS (after I fix something) or start from scratch or what.

Thank you, I really hope I get it finished one day haha! I'm aiming to at least be halfway done by mid June, but I have alot planned and am ready to push myself past the limits!

OMG I've been busy! And no I haven't been keeping track of hours, I almost don't even care anymore I'm just having too much fun working lol. At one point I was doing 5 things at once; working on my desert tileset, making a new BGM titled "Unholy Rituals," playing around with custom battle systems, I had concept notes open about battle actions again, also working on a transition effect.

The desert tileset has been significantly updated, I added one more shade to the rock walls and smoothed them out. The sand was too bright and saturated, so I took care of that, as well as adding new and faded footprint tiles and blown up landmine marks. I've started my obstacle course, but its still early WIP, it'll probably double the size of this set though when its done. Not to mention, I've got new trees in the starting process too. I need to redo all my trees, they look inconsistent going from old to new, nothing looks better than all my newest cacti and palm tree tiles.

I'm thinking of taking a more thematic approach to my music, sitting down and finding new genres depending on the location. For instance, a gritty urban city would probably play more hip and funky music, maybe some pleasing techno for a futuristic town full of geeks, heavy drum and base for rain forest areas, fist pumping heavy metal for a biker town, etc. The town theme, dungeon theme, fight theme and boss theme would all share something in common with each other and the area its representing, whether it be instruments, effects, tones, tempos, whatever.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Bullseye
%5BKN%5D-Bullseye.png

Jokerface
%5BKN%5D-Jokerface.png

Swirly
%5BKN%5D-Swirly.png

Into The Void
%5BKN%5D-Into%20The%20Void.png

There is so much to do, I have to catch sleep for work. I'm putting down 8 hours because to be honest, that's how long I've been sitting here messing with all this stuff.

Wow, you've gotten a lot better at spriting! Great work. :biggrin: My only complaint is that your leaves on your trees are somewhat blobby in places.

Seiken_Densetsu_3_00027.png

You see how there are separate protruding areas within the ball because of the highlights and the leaf structure? Try something more like that.

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of doing all my trees over. This time, instead of developing a bunch of random trees, I'm going to pay attention to nature and develop them in different variations and families. For instance, a family of pines, a family of palms, a family of cacti, etc. There is that one guy at pixelation that does awesome foilage, I need to find his tut and study that again lol.

Oh yeah, your reply is making me forget about rest haha! I'm going to bed, will probably get to more goodies tomorrow :D

New BGM: Chamber of Lost Souls

I made it in the same track that I used for Unholy Rituals, but the mixer levels and effect volumes have been slightly changed. At this point, both tracks volumes have been leveled out but I'm too lazy to re-upload them lol.

FAIL.gif

So... maybe an hour? I'm going to bed.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.