Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Project Aether

Project Aether

Intro

Project Aether will be an RPG Maker MV game. As of now, we plan on using the default sideview battle system for combat. The game will be heavy on story, not so much on lore or backstory. Consider it an ode to old-school RPGs such as Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

At this point in time, I am the only one working on the game. I would like that to change, and I would also like to break away from using default tiles/battlers/systems at some point in the distant future when things really get going development-wise.

I have no plans to commercialize the game right now, but would like to use it as a stepping stone into learning the ins and outs of both programming and game development in general. I would also like to form a solid development team to grow with and begin working on bigger games, whether its a sequel to this project or games in other genres/veins.

Backstory

The kingdom of Blackgard has achieved and maintained peace for twenty-something years. Many of its small villages have prospered, and the kingdom's capital of Lancaster is flourishing with wealth and culture. There are those who would end this peace, and because of this, King Lynus II has founded a secret agency called, appropriately, the Peacekeepers.

The Peacekeepers have been a force to be reckoned with, made up of hand-picked men and women with skills beyond that of typical soldiers. Led by Ariyah Maven, daughter of the legendary King's Hand Garret Maven, she has lived up to her family name tenfold by undergoing perilous missions and always succeeding.

For the last three years, the Peacekeepers have had naught to combat save for petty bandits and the occasional band of pirates. However, dark forces set events in motion that unleash hellish monsters into the world, plunging the entire kingdom into an uproar.

Merchants and companies associated with war have seen their profits rise nearly triple since the monsters began appearing, and villages have begun forming their own militias to deal with them. Many are profiting from the outbreak of monstrosities, but there are also many casualties. King Lynus demands his Peacekeepers to get to the bottom of the appearance of the monsters immediately.

Synopsis

Desch Renar, the young leader of a harmless gang of thieves living outside the village of Aurelia, seeks a life of adventure and fortune. His opportunity arrives when a Peacekeeper named Lyric appears in his village, and he follows her into a hidden temple nearby, stumbling upon a top-secret mission. While Lyric and her team are attacked by powerful monsters, Desch swoops in to save the day, expecting to be rewarded handsomely. Instead, he is arrested for treason in the form of espionage against the kingdom, and brought to the Black Castle in Lancaster.

Desch appears before the King's Court, and King Lynus, seeing something within Desch, finds him guilty but sentences him to a lifetime of servitude to the Peacekeepers as punishment. To Lyric's surprise and disdain, he is assigned to her care, since she is the one who arrested him. The newly-formed duo are given orders to set out on their first mission just outside the capital, and thus, the story truly begins.

Characters

83bT0Bk.png

[Desch Renar]
Desch, on the outside, seems like a typical young, arrogant guy; he leads a small band of thieves, is incredibly lucky, and is as charming as he is handsome. But inside is someone who wants to change the world for himself as well as the ones around him. He isn't the strongest, but he's highly intelligent and quick to boot, making him a valuable asset to any team.

/ / / Classes / / /

> Thief: Desch's default class. He focuses more on quick strikes and snaring enemies in his status ailment-inducing traps than brute strength. He can also (surprise) steal items off of enemies.

> Rogue: Choosing to increase his speed and the amount of skills he can learn, Desch's Rogue class is perfect for wide-range status effects and turning the tide of the battle in the most dire of situations.

> Assassin: Becoming one with the shadows, Desch chooses power and speed over all else. This class is ideal for immense single-target damage while also inducing minor status ailments such as Poison or Sleep.

> Forsaken: Desch's Secret Class. Can only be unlocked by meeting certain in-game criteria. He gains immense power while sacrificing his own life force.

---------

Z3gPkX5.png

[Lyric Ayleth]

Lyric is a new hopeful for the Peacekeepers. She has been training since the age of 12 to be hand-picked as a Peacekeeper as her father's dying wish. She is stubborn and strong-willed, and believes in swift justice. She has been looked at as a child her whole life, and she despises when people talk down to her or she is given obviously trivial tasks due to her gender or age. She believes becoming a True Peacekeeper will allow her to promote justice and protect those who can't protect themselves.

/ / / Classes / / /

> Knight: Lyric's default class. A Knight of the Peacekeepers must be able to take as much punishment as they can dole out. While Lyric isn't particularly strong, she certainly can take a beating. She focuses on keeping her friends out of harm's way while taking the brunt of the enemy's damage.

> Paladin: Choosing to go against her wishes as glorified babysitter, Lyric's Paladin class allows her to heal her allies and take even more damage, while giving her a host of new magic spells that will shake unholy monsters at their very core.

> Dragoon: Forsaking magic for actual techniques, Lyric's Dragoon class gives her the ability to wield any weapons and armor, and grants her access to powerful abilities that will shred any enemies that stand in her way of becoming a True Peacekeeper.

> True Peacekeeper: Lyric's Secret Class. Can only be unlocked by meeting certain in-game criteria. She realizes her dreams and becomes a true member of her sacred order, unlocking her potential.

-----------

dRQwMAy.png

[Amara Daalen]

Amara is an Erdenian, known typically as Elves to the uneducated. She tends to take on tasks that are far out of her league in order to prove her worth to her clan. She is fiercely loyal and her resolve, much like Lyric's, never waivers. She is mostly quiet and reserved, except when she has important information to relay, or when asked her opinion on matters.

/ / / Classes / / /

> Mage: Amara's default class. She is adept at controlling the battlefield with the elements. She inflicts incredible damage, powerful buffs on her comrades, and also has great healing abilities. Since she has not mastered the arts yet, she doesn't have that much mana to perform incredible feats... for now.

> Sorceress: Amara has mastered most spells, and therefore has becoming faster with her incantations. Her pool of mana has also increased thanks to being in touch with the Aether. She has much more mana to expend during battles, making her even more helpful.

> Dark Knight: Amara forgoes staves and tomes for a sword and shield. Her mana has increased exponentially, as well as her melee attack damage. She is capable of battling on the frontlines or supporting her allies from the back.

> Sage: Amara's Secret Class. Can only be unlocked by meeting certain in-game criteria. Having learned all there is to know about novice and intermediate magic, she begins the end of her quest of limitless knowledge regarding the arcane arts. Her bones are also no longer made of glass.

-----------

oFvKpZ0.png

[Marcus Tyran]

/ / / Classes / / /

> Swordsman: Marcus' default class. brandishes a sword like no other. His speed already rivals that of Desch's, and his strength is almost inhuman.

> Duelist: Sacrificing attack for higher defense and slightly increased speed, Marcus becomes nearly a blur on the field and is capable of withstanding almost the toughest of blows.

> Brawler: Choosing to increase his knowledge of multiple combat styles and techniques, Marcus trains to become ready in all aspects of battle.

> Mageknight: Marcus' Secret Class. Can only be unlocked by meeting certain in-game criteria. Dabbling in a bit of magic helps Marcus truly round out his abilities and become the ultimate guardian of the Nox Rune. The other Guardians can't make fun of him for not knowing any spells, now.

Based on the character descriptions I think Desch needs to be strengthened as a character. The way you've presented him it doesn't look like he'll have much at stake because he's forced into a life sentence from the beginning. He could make a good foil for the other characters: Shining light on Lyric's leadership abilities, contrasting Marcus's selflessness and Amara's higher standards.

I don't know; as a supporting role he's fine great as a static character. I just think leading point-of-view characters are expected to be dynamic. But I wouldn't suggest changing his rogue ways or adopting traits from the other characters to make him honorable because it takes away from the interchange of the other characters. Ok, I'm assuming they're all on the same peacekeeper team.
But if Lyric can lead him, she can lead anyone. And Amara can learn to compromise. Marcus can lighten up.

Desch needs a personal struggle, one that can possible tie directly to the overall plot of dark forces.

That's true, he really doesn't have much at stake. I have him planned to be the wise-cracking, Han Solo-type of character who's kinda set in his old ways but over the course of the game develops into something more. What that is, exactly, is something that will mostly be up to the player via dialogue choices and also important plot decisions.

My goal with Desch is to be something like Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher games; the way Projekt CDR wrote him yet made him flexible enough to be a tool for character choice was amazing. I'm sure they had a bunch of qualified people writing for him, whereas I'm just a regular dude writing everything myself haha.

The only real problem is what kind of struggle to give someone who really doesn't have anything to begin with.

I think you can easily solve that problem by adding more characters. You mentioned he lead a small band of thieves. There's potential for conflict there once Desch becomes a peacekeeper. Like he's expected to hunt down his old friends and they feel like he's betrayed them.
Kind of a classic scenario for the bad guy turned good you'd see alot in Xena: Warrior Princess. She'd encounter a warlord who used to be one of her allies. Or she'd recognize their tactics and know exactly who was behind it. Some time it was like, "That trick won't work on me. I taught you everything you know".

Basically stuff from the past keeps popping up and it's in conflict with their new lifestyle.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I don't know, I feel like that would be kinda drastic. Like, there is no honor among thieves but this is something they've all known most of their lives. It's similar to a brotherhood or even a family. Maybe something would force him to come to terms with confronting his former allies or something, like someone else taking the reigns and messing up what he's been building for years? That's actually a really interesting plot point.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.