Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Post what's on your mind about the Rec Room

What do you think to moving all contests to a contests board? (Like we used to have as RMXP.org).

It would be a place for:

- "Official" site-ran contests
- Contests on other sites that we may be interested in
- Contests made by other members for fun

PWOYM was created in 2008 when GamingW was at it's peak - Despain made it to try and replicate their success - and they have subsequently completely skydived off the Internet to the point where they are basically not a site any more. They are dead. Maybe we should take this as a hint.

?? actually i made it as a dumb little joke to call teloch a faggot iirc (seems the first post has been edited to say dissonance but hell that might have happened years ago)

was kind of expected to be a random nfg thread that dies after a couple days like all the others

(also gw's peak was way before 2008 imo)

anyway delete the rec room and that shit. i joined here because i didnt have a place to talk about GAMS and rec rooms just taking attention away from that. shitpost in irc like everyone else

actually you can delete a LOT of forums. the userbase is small now. maybe the smallest its ever been. sadly, we're not the largest english-speaking rpg maker forum anymore (blame me if ya want for that :box: ). in fact we're not even close.

delete a LOT of board, bring it down to make 5 or six. get rid of lots of sub-board too.

when you have a smaller userbase and activity is slow, lesser boards is the way to go (i mad a rhyme). it makes the place look busier to see those boards more often updated with new posts. its also less intimidating to new members. what you have now is also MESSY AS FUCK

ditch as many forums and subforums as possible. condense and streamline. take advantage of the fact that we have a smaller community now. maybe, if we grow back up again, we can add some back if there is a demand.

my proposal:

Community Center
-Announcements and Updates
-Introductions
- Feedback
~Archives

(ezine announcements would just go into regular announcements. it's "official" isnt it?)

Game Making
- Game Making Discussion
- Game Making Support
- Completed Games
- Projects in Development
- Tutorials
- Resources
~ Scripts, Graphics, Requests

(ditch the arcade subforum. why is that listed as a subforum? it links to a browser arcade. you have links to that elsewhere. ditch recruitment. we're not so big a forum that we need that as a subforum. if people want to recruit, have them add a few lines about it as part of their actual project thread)

combined a shitload of useless forums and subforums here. if you WANT to support more engines than rpg maker, that's swell! but the userbase isn't large enough to require each engine to have its own forum, let alone its own subforum for tutorials or all that other shit. we have a nice tag system here with sweet icons. encourage that within forums that encompass all programs.) resources is easy. scripts, graphics and requests get subforums. everything else (music, tools, etc) can go in the main resources forum, because they're usually not as often as the other stuff. hell, i might take it a step further and only have "requests" as a subforum and just use tags for everything within the resources forum.

The Other Hand
- General Discussion
- The Arts

(subforums in the arts are dropped. web development is a part of the arts. programming too, unless its specifically for a game, in which case it goes in one of the above forums. entertainment threads (talk abour ur fave game or tv lol) just go into general discussion)

Personal Forums
(w/e i guess this once's needed for dat sweet sponsor money)

congrats i just solved the problem for ya :cheers: :toot: :angel: :cheers: :rock:

or hell. fuck it, go even deeper. move general discussion and the arts into the community center. remove "the other hand" completely. remove the feedback forum. have a feedback thread stickied in the general discussion or the announcements forum and linked to in the mainbar navigation. when an admin has something big to talk about (like this thread maybe), he posts it in general discussion or as an announcement.

Community Center
-Announcements and Updates
-General Discussion
-Introductions
-The Arts

Game Dev
- Projects in Development
~ Completed Games
- Game Making Discussion
- Game Making Support
- Tutorials
- Resources
~ Requests

Personal Forums
- w/e

Injury

Awesome Bro

I think your suggestion removes the community factor from this site. As much as it makes sense to condense the site down to the core content, your also taking away the personality of the site, the ability for users to integrate and socialize with each other.

just the opposite. socialization is easier when you don't have to wade through a maze of subforums. the entire goal of the steamlining is an emphasis on the discussion themselves rather than on the organization of those discussions. it also brings the users and the conversations closer—highlighted by the fact that they are physically closer on the page.

simply put, this is a forum and not a website. we want to maximize the appeal of the place as a discussion-based hangout, and the way to do that is to make the conversation immediately accessible. the current main page is a mess. a new user sees it and is just confused/frustrated/intimidated by the amount of boards and subforums.

and then, if he takes the time to understand the unnecessarily-complex structure of the boards, he's turned away when he sees that a lot of them with their "latest post" half a year ago.

Arcade is a subforum because it technically is a forum, that's how it was coded (so as to have the comment system be posts and whatnot). We could remove it from the board listings though.

I'm against General Discussion showing before game making because we're trying to be a game making site again.

Feedback could be a subforum of announcements.

eZines are separate so we can have the eZine directory.

The arts at current are a clusterfuck and need sorting out. I'm against them all being merged together, simply because they don't need to be, undoing it takes forever, and we'd lose a set place for those things. But that's just my opinions. But as it stands, it's a complete mess. Why is Website Development in with Computer Support? Why is there a separate programming section? (Put computer support in general discussion and merge web dev and programming).

I like that having separate boards for each engine creates a kind of directoried system. It doesn't hurt anything to be this way, and there would be no benefit to a user having everything merged in one board. It's also easier to link to as "RPG Maker", "Game Maker"; I want to have big logos on the homepage linking to them, to show people visiting the first time LOOK WE DO RPG MAKER HERE: LOOK HOW GOOD IT IS. I don't think the extra pixels harm anything.

Merging say, RPG Maker tutorials with Game Maker tutorials does nothing but save vertical space on the forum listing.

Video Games need their own section.

The Rec Room is unnecessary when General Discussion is so dead. Rec Room content could just go in General Discussion, with PWOYM in there as a place for unworthy quick content.

Feedback looks better as a sub forum. I think games are the main part of the site and could be merge with Announcements and Introductions so there would be four topics in the first bit. So,

Announcements
Introductions
Completed Games - Projects in Discussion as a sub topic

Game Making Support
RPG Maker Support
Construct Support
Game Maker Support

Game Making Discussion
Game Making Resources

General Discussion
Artwork And Programming
Video Games
Other Entertanent

Princess Amy":14lfss64 said:
I want to have big logos on the homepage linking to them, to show people visiting the first time LOOK WE DO RPG MAKER HERE: LOOK HOW GOOD IT IS. I don't think the extra pixels harm anything.

there's nothing like this? if you're talking about a major rehaul to the design of the site (which i am 100% in favor of because this place is ugly as FUCK) then a lot of my suggestions probably don't make sense. my suggestions were based on the current forum layout which is cluttered as fuck and seriously off-putting to someone who happens to come across the page.

like the portal (portals for forums themselves are ugly as fuck and a shitty frontpage. and mad outdated. what you want is a blog that is regularly updated with content (its really not much different if you think about it other than the way its presented)) is an ugly mess.

in fact nearly everything about this place is outdated. you do need a major rehaul if you dont want the place to continue in the direction that its going.

also here's a suggestion for removing the indimitating clutter from the forum directory: remove forum descriptions. The forum titles themselves should be enough. thesis: make this shit CLEANER

Completed Games - Projects in Discussion as a sub topic

other way around if you want to use subforums at all.

games that are currently in the process of being developed leads to more conversation. more back-and forth comes from feedback.

the big reason i like merging the support forums is because there are much larger places (official forums!) for all of these products with better support teams. people aren't coming here for engine support. it's an added bonus.

WHY would people come here, then? right now, there's not much of an aswer for that. most of the people here come here from habit. they come here for that fucking pyoym thread.

we want a focus on something, and maybe serious project critique is that thing. right now, this forum is ALL OVER THE PLACE. you need a fucking PURPOSE for this site. hone in one thing, one DRAW, that this site does better than any others, and build around that.

Forum descriptions can be turned on and off via a link beneath the personal forums category. It'd be easy to just flip a switch and have it off by default and turn-on-able if that's the general consensus.

there's nothing like this?
I can't do anything 'til my laptop comes, but what I want is the first thing the user to see (within the portal) to be three images in a row, of the logos of RPG Maker, Game maker, Construct 2, linking to these:

viewforum.php?f=309

So everything's self contained for that maker. Easy to find support, easy to find anything for that maker.

As for big changes to the looks and such there ARE big plans, but they're taking some time to come about, so anything now is just temporary but how temporary is uncertain. We can clean things up, and make it a better place for right now, but there are bigger things going on that will make it all redundant.

And if we're going to work together to make the site look better, you're going to have to be a little less of an ass about it, sorry. I can take criticism, but you gotta appreciate how it feels to hear the stuff you made is ugly as fuck especially when there's been no real feedback for ages when and since it was developed. I can work with "this would look better if it was -> here", but not general "ugh it's fucking ugly".

Forums just aren't the trend right now. They are only good for support; and rpg maker has been around long enough that any questions will have been asked a hundred times before on any forum.

Blogs are better for development because people can comment anonymously or without signing up and can subscribe to feeds.

Amy, you already said it once that members ARE the forum. I personally prefer this small collective of people who know each other.

What are your thoughts on an "Extending RPG Maker" section, within the RPG Maker section? There are a bunch of projects in the Programming boards, more than enough to fill a board, that would fit this genre, but that don't really get much exposure as they're hidden away. Things like custom game.exes, utilities for managing the database, etc.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.