Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Poison Feild

Sero

I need help making a poisoned map where you lose health every few seconds or steps. How can i do that? If it is already posted, tell me and give link in your reply.

Sero

Muffins ROX! Oh yeah! I had a muffin just now. Mmmm. Chocolate Chip.

And i'm trying to make a skill for a character where he turns into a beast-like thing. It works but when the timer hits 0:00, the conditional branch doesn't come in and make him turn to normal. I made it as 2 common events,

Common Event:David->Beast Activator        Parallel Process

Call Common event:Beast David

Control Timer:Startup (2 min. 0 sec.)
Screen Flash: (0,0,0,255), @10
Change Party Member: Remove [David]
Change Party Member: Add [Beast David],Initialize
Conditional Branch: Timer 0 min 1 sec or less
Screen Flash: (255,255,255,255), @10
Change Party Member: Remove [Beast David]
Change Party Member: Add [David], Initialize
@>
: Else
@>
: Branch End
When I did that, Beast David was still the same and the timer was 0:00
How can I fix that?
Oh, BTW, is there a way i can have David and Beast David the same level every time David uses the Transform skill?
It has a circle that shows your field of attack for skills. But its very large. Im wondering if i could limit it to very small for certain attacks like a super-powerful punch skill that is supposed to be short ranged, not hit the enemy across the screen(example)
(Can some one tell me how to insert Screen shots;i always come up with this: http://[/img])

If that entire event is parallel process, it's going to keep restarting that timer over and over again.  You'd better make the timer-checking event parallel process, and separate from the timer-starting event.

Okay, here's an example from my current project. 

Here's part of the event that starts the timer:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/UnkaJosh/TimerEvent1.png[/img]

It's Autorun, and that switch turning on stops the event from running again, among other things.  It also activates this very complex event here:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/UnkaJosh/TimerEvent2.png[/img]

This Parallel Process event checks the timer as it counts down and displays picture files (of the lyrics of the song that's playing) as the timer passes certain points.

The event that runs only once is what starts the timer.  The Parallel Process event, running separately, checks the timer.  Two events are needed.

As for your other questions:

You can adjust Beast David's level by having the game examine David's level (with Control Variable), subtract Beast David's level from that, and then use Change Level to add the difference to Beast David's level.

I'm not qualified to help you with the Blizzard ABS.

As for screenshots, they're fairly simple:

1:  Hit the PrtSc button when the thing you want to print is on your screen.

2:  Open your favorite paint program. 

3:  Hit Ctrl+v, aka Paste.  Your screenshot will now be printed to the open file.

4:  Save the file.

5:  Go to your favorite image hosting site.  (I use Photobucket, but there's no shortage of other sites out there.)  Upload your image to that site. 

6:  Put the image tags from that site in your post.  (If you want to see what they'd look like, just quote this post.)  Using spoiler tags like I did is considered polite-- anybody who's bored with seeing my screenshots has an easier time scrolling past them, and doesn't have to look at my lame artwork and overcomplex coding.

Although you seem to have found one, there is an easy as way to make a poison field.

Simply go into the database, and change the maximum of tilesets to have one extra. Copy and paste in the tileset that you want to be the one containing poison tiles.

Now, change the terrain tags to something like 2 or somehing like that.

Now, create a paralell process that does the following|:

Control variables [player terr tag] == PLayer's terrain tag

Conditional Branch [player terr tag] == 2 (or whatever you want poison to be)

(events to reduce hp, show poison effect etc)

end branch

set it to paralell process, and boom, you've got poison grass.

To make beast david and regular david the same level, simply do the following:

Control Variable [David level] == Actor David's level
Control Variable [Beast David Level] == Beast david level
Control Variable [David level difference] - [Beast David Level]
Change Level actor Beast David (increase) [David level difference]

Now attach this to the form changing event at the top, and boom, levels are now equal.

Hopefully this helps you a little bit.

Peace

Durastik, the only thing you've done there is making the entire thing alot more comlicated. all he wanted is a map where the little running guy with the arrows is getting damaged ever bit =O

Sero-create a variable equal to David's level, and the Beast David's level. when ever they're not equal, check for the highest one and then level the lower one for the amount of levels difference:D
and also theres a major simple way to do the entire thingie!
Just create a beast state, and a Common Event that checks if he's in it, and then changes his graphics n' all.
Simple.

^ I think he wants different stats etc for the beast though.

I assumed he meant poison terrain. But I would like to say that terrain tags are there for a reason, and this kind of thing is it.

Peace

I'm just going to further pimp my favorite notion of using States for transformations here... but this idea may not apply in this case, since he's using an ABS.  (Of course, with an ABS, changing party members would work a bit differently, wouldn't it...?)

Yea you had.
Frist thing, it needs to be a parallel process
Theres no state in there. you missed the entire idea.
in the database go to the state tab.
change the max and create a new state called Beast David
create a transform spell that triggers that state...
at the common events, create one that is triggered by a switch at the start of the game.
put a conditional branch to check if the state is affecting david.
if it is, change graphics to beast david, add abillities
if not put things back
~done~
BTW, I don't understand why you created three comon events there, if they're just to call each other that does nothing. you could've just do whats at the end event inside the conditional branch.

Uh... yes, there's some room for improvement there.  Let's go through this step by step.

Image 1:  The transformation skill itself.  Looks fine, as far as I can tell.  Calls Common Event 1.

Image 4:  Common Event 1 (Beast David.)  Lots of work to do here...

1:  The trigger should not be Autorun-- it should be "None."  "None" means that the event will not run until it's called by another event or skill, and that's exactly what you want. 

2:  Part of the event turns Switch 0003 ON.  When this switch is ON, CE 1 will Autorun-- that is, it will stop the player from doing anything while the event runs.  But there is nothing in the event that turns Switch 0003 OFF.  This means that the event will cycle endlessly, freezing the game.  (It will cycle the entire event, too-- the timer will keep getting reset to two minutes.)

3:  When Beast David is added to the party, you included the "Initialize" flag.  This will reset Beast David to whatever level you have as the starting level for that character.  In other words, Beast David will never gain levels.

4:  You have the Conditional Branch for the timer in the same event that starts the timer.  This, as I have explained before, will not work.  The event that checks the timer need to be a separate, Parallel Process event.

Image 3:  Common Event 3 (Beast Revert)

This event is Parallel Process-- it will run forever, in the background, as long as switch 51 is ON.  When this event is activated, it only calls another Common Event.  Therefore, this event serves no purpose whatsoever.

Image 4:  Common Event 4 (End)

This event is also Parallel Process, and will run forever, in the background, as long as switch 52 is ON.  It removes Beast David from the party, and returns David.  Because the Initialize Flag is ON, David will be reverted to his starting level (presumably 1) whenever he transforms back. 

Here's how I'd construct the events you want:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee10 ... Event1.png[/img]

Note that its trigger is "None"-- it runs when the transformation skill calls it, only.

Also note that I don't have the party change set to Initialize the party members.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee10 ... Event2.png[/img]

This one's Parallel Process, and it's activated by the switch that the previous event turned ON.  Note that it turns itself off when the timer runs out.

Is that more helpful?

Sero

That was helpful.

And I just noticed that my brother who is a ,Zelda fan, was messing with my database and changed stuff to Wolf Link. Thats what he wanted me to do, but i refused. I kinda forgot to fix that switch. (I need a better password on my pc.) :lol:

Thanks!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.