Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

player jump (move route) to activate game over

im trying to have the players use a grapple to get from one area to another

im having troubles activating the Game over screen when players jump over the edge or into a wall.

im using the Set move route command Player jump -3 +0 so when the player jumps three. but its a jump into the wall.. how do i then call it game over so its like you died

I'm sure he means: how does he make the game over happen when the jump causes the player to jump into an impassable area on the map.
Calling the game over screen is simple enough, but you are looking for a conditional branch to solve your problem.

There is currently no option within the conditional branch event that will do this for you, except the script condition. So my solution to you (if I understood correctly, of course) is to use a conditional branch with a script that returns if the given player tile position is passable on the map. If it isn't, then you call game over.

I am not familiar with VX Ace map scripts, so I can't tell you what the method is called. At least in XP you'd call: !$game_map.passable?($game_player.x, $game_player.y)
If it's not the same, at least you have an idea of what to look for.

If I was completely mistaken about what you wanted to accomplish, then at least I tried to understand!

Jason

Awesome Bro

Just put a terrain tag on all of the impassable tiles on the map, and use a conditional branch, if the player is stood on that terrain tag, call the game over screen... it's VERY simple

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.