Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
One Night 2: The Beyond

One Night 2: The Beyond *horror game*

mawk

Sponsor

well, there's sort of a tradeoff there. completely unrestricted saving can allow a really dedicated dude to save just before pretty much anything, thereby guaranteeing himself the best possible outcome and sort of getting rid of whatever tension's present. also, the advent of a quicksave function in many games (which means you don't even have to wait through navigating menus or w/e) has seen a lot of people saving in situations that are totally impossible to recover from, accidentally or just foolishly, and that pretty much ruins the game entirely. it can happen with just a regular "save anywhere" feature, too.

survival horror is often contributed to by a feeling of vulnerability. if you can't just save wherever you like, you find yourself dreading each encounter, which is pretty much exactly in line with that the designers want. of course, I'm not talking about this game so much as I'm talking about the actual survival horror franchise.

and to be fair, the more recent silent hill games have not been silent hill games, if you catch my meaning. The Room was the last hurrah of that particular series, and everything since then has just been trying to cash in on successful property above all else.

I agree with Mawk. I haven't actually played SH Homecoming or Shattered Memories as to me they just don't feel like normal SH games. Origins was perhaps the last one.

Anyway, for this game, I was influenced by Alone In The Dark for the atmosphere and also by the first Resident Evil, you'll notice in the whole haunted mansion setting and the two seperate scenarios. The save system is drawn from the classic survival horror games.

I'm sorry but I think the business card problem is wrong o_o I already looked at the readme file but the numbers dont fit unless the font is playing with me

It says

3X+21-5= 31 ; 2Y+42=18

if thats the case X = 5 and Y = -12

common factors of X added together would be 6, halved it would be 3 and added to the value of Y would be -9, but the answer is 21 o_o I know this isnt really important story-wise or anything but I think you should check it anyways ^^;

Update

The site hosting my uploads (RPGMaker.net) overhauled their site URLs today so the links I had posted previously died. I have now updated them. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Friday, 4th June, 2010

As of this moment (8:38 PM AEST) I have uploaded a new version of The Beyond to celebrate the first anniversary of its release. This new version contains the entire Special Edition version of the game plus a new Expansion Pack which adds new locations, gameplay, puzzles and scares, all up making this the ultimate version of the game and worthy enough to be played even if you've clocked The Beyond before.

Snap it up when it's fully uploaded and approved on RMN... Should be by this time tomorrow.

Hey everyone, I've had a few complaints about RMN being down a fair bit and downloads being inaccessible, so I've added an extra download mirror (FileFront) for One Night 2.

An undisclosed reason. Black Valley has a population of only 300, only a small fraction of the 1200 people it housed during the mining era.
Reportedly, Black Valley is a center for paranormal activity, with many bizarre incidents being reported each month.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.