Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Odd Happening With Chat

Rye

Ok, I've got really peeved at it.

Randomly, it will say that everyone left and I will be the only one in chat. That doesn't make sense. So, I just let it go. Now, it did it to me and Night came with me. We both use the Java thing, and were wondering why does it do this? Or are people really logging off in unison?

And now Nix has joined Night and I, he also uses java.

Anonymous

No, it's a problem with Espernet and communication between the various servers. Nothing we can do about it, it's something that just happens periodically.

It's called a netsplit- it happens when servers on the network get disconnected from each other.

It's happening to those on the Java chat because, on the java chat, you are on the same server.

I'd suggest downloading a real irc client such as mIRC. While it won't solve the problem (as netsplits cannot be avoided- they tend to be random), it will most likely make these things less common- you could also select the server you wish to join instead of using the Java Chat default.

Good luck,
Serenade

Anonymous

Actually netsplits can be avoided, but it's an issue that Esper themselves have to deal with. Considering they've been happening for the last few months I highly doubt if they care enough, so.

Okay, guys, you need to quit worrying about Espernet and its netsplits. I've seen people freaking out over this in the channel too. Seriously, there are much worse servers to be on... I remember my horrific days on DALnet.

Sure, netsplits are annoying, but they fix themselves quickly enough.

The only way for everyone to avoid netsplits is to make a conscious agreement to all join the same server, and hope that particular server isn't the one that goes down and causes the netsplit. Again, for this, get a real client like mIRC.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.