Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

NetVX, so close yet so far...

I decided to try again with NetVX, and I got so close this time.

I have HOST set to localhost, and PORT set to 22(already forwarded).

I run the NetVX.rb, and it works, so I open Game.exe and it gives me:

Tried to access unreachable host.

Any help with this?

It sounds like an error with the server more than anything, if you've got the port already forwarded and its running on localhost it should connect just fine. Try and get in contact with NowaySkill (kono) and see if he knows how to help but you'd probably be better off using an XP alternative in all honesty, the NetVX has always been very buggy, even more so than the XP alternatives such as NetplayPlus 2.0 which I highly recommend using rather than other versions.

Netplay+, I've had many bad experiences with it.

By the way, is Kono still working on NetXP? I liked that idea. Also, I saw the requiem blog(vlad's)and it had a netplay like system, but it was in the alpha state and had no demo.

But I really, really want to make an online game. I'm not saying MMO, I just need to be able to have a few people on at a time. Is there anything I could use, that doesn't cost much?

NetplayPlus 2.0 is very stable if you have some scripting experience to set it up and get it running the way you want it, its very nice in my opinion. I'd honestly just suggest trying it and asking for help if you get stuck. Its ideal for just having a few people on at a time and if enough effort is put into it can be developed into a larger scale game.

I've got no idea with Kono my past experiences with him would lead me to believe no (Look how long he worked on NetVX...) but you can always hope. Also got no idea about Vlad's blog or Netplay system.

Can you help me get a jumpstart on NP+? I have an sql database, and I have my ports forwarded. What do I do now? I know I need to set up the config.ini but that's always where i mess up -.-'

Do you know anything about that?

Well I can set the Config.ini up when I run my local server yeah, so I can try to give you a hand. Post your current Config.ini and whatever error the server is pumping out at you. Also which version are you using? The default 2.0 or the jumped up version which was a whole lot buggier? Probably easy to see which one I prefer.

My Config.ini is:
Code:

Host = "localhost"

Port = 22

ServerName = "Netplay Plus Server"

ServerVersion = "3.0"

GameCode = "918302475"

WebServer = ""

SMTPServer = ""

AdminEmail = "tempnear@gmail.com"

DB_server = "uuuq.com"

DB_user = "near_gotdb"

DB_password ="******"

DB_name = "_netvx"

Message = "Entering the Official Netplay Plus Server..."

And it says in main.rb:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. - connect(2)uninitialized class variable @@_mysql in NetplayServer
Server has been terminated

Right well your Config.ini differs from mine ever so slightly, I'll post what I think it should look like then you can try it and get back to me on if it works or not. I've also got another idea on what may be causing the error, but we'll try this first.

Code:
Host = "YOURIPHERENOTLOCALHOST -> [url=http://www.whatismyip.org]http://www.whatismyip.org[/url]"

Port = 50000

ServerName = "Netplay Plus Server"

ServerVersion = "3.0"

GameCode = "918302475"

WebServer = "localhost"

SMTPServer = "localhost"

AdminEmail = "tempnear@gmail.com"

DB_server = "uuuq.com"

DB_user = "near_gotdb"

DB_password = "******"

DB_name = "_netvx"

Message = "Entering the Official Netplay Plus Server..."

There is one thing I notice, you point your DB_server to a url, which seems odd to me if your running a localhost. When I run my own local server I typically have this setup (this is using a WAMP local server).
Code:
DB_server = "localhost"

DB_user = "root"

DB_password = ""

DB_name = "netplay"

Nope, same error. But I did get NetVX to work locally(without SQL -_-' )!

Whenever I try to connect my real IP with NetVX, it automatically closes the server program. Without giving me an error...

But if I use localhost, and SQL_USE is false, it connects fine. What's up with that?

Oh, you know what, I just took WampServer off my computer...

Can't you use just an ip and a port for netpley 1.6?

EDIT: Yes! I got it working on Netplay 1.6.3! But I still can't connect to my actual IP, only localhost...

Yeah, I tried to get it set up with my ip and failed though... using my other computer and my ip as a server option, i uploaded the client(with the rtp graphics as necessary and RGSS102E.dll)and downloaded it on my other comp, and it keeps saying 'Offline', and when i click it just gives me old 'Target machine actively refused' error.

Any ideas?

Not a clue, it seems very odd. I've personally never had trouble using my IP to connect to the server, it could be a case of your firewall blocking the server accessing anything from your machine when using your IP or something. I'm really not sure. Which server are you using with your Netplay 1.6.3, NowaySkill's or the original teams version?

The original server 0.8.4, and I told my firewall to unblock the server program.
I can use localhost to run 2 of the same client though, which means it connects... do you mean that i may have to run the server on another computer(i was going to have to anyway but, you know)? But yeah, I can definitely get it to work with 2 or more players online.

Mmm its both connecting to your local machine, unless the clients are on seperate PC's the fact you've got two running makes little difference. Try using NowaySkills server see if that produces any better results, if not bite the bullet and go with an unmodified 2.0 version in my opinion, far better than any previous version in my opinion. Rather than keep up this thread as it seems to be mainly us two, PM me or add me on msn or something might be easier to talk then.

Near":29k1latz said:
I decided to try again with NetVX, and I got so close this time.

I have HOST set to localhost, and PORT set to 22(already forwarded).

I run the NetVX.rb, and it works, so I open Game.exe and it gives me:

Tried to access unreachable host.

Any help with this?

Man, I made this NetVX right?
You shouldn't use it.
In a normal ORPG everything is managed in the server
In this case the client manage everything which cause lag, just
don't use it..
Incase you want to make an ORPG just learn programming.
I suggest you to use C# with the XNA framework.
In RMXP/VX you can make small online rpgs but if you will
have a greater community then 10 users PM me and I'll help you
coding a better system.

Well with the new RGSS player I'd have to disagree, RMXP will be more than capable of handling large communties of way more than 10 players. Server hardware will also play a key role in the amount of players the game can hold and how stable the game is but this is depending on if your server is handling majority of the work rather than the client which will indeed cause lag.

Desecration":1a2xv71x said:
Well with the new RGSS player I'd have to disagree, RMXP will be more than capable of handling large communties of way more than 10 players. Server hardware will also play a key role in the amount of players the game can hold and how stable the game is but this is depending on if your server is handling majority of the work rather than the client which will indeed cause lag.
That's not the problem,. RMVX can hold more then 10 players already
neither does RMXP! the problem is that the system is suckish,
you probably don't know the structure of a casual mmorpg.
On a mmorpg everything is managed within the server, the server
is incharge of event triggers, message showing, tile display, everything
is sent by the server to the client, the client part is to display the image.
The problem is that the systems that have been released doesen't feature
server management, everything is done within the client well, except of
Netplay Plus 2.0. Netplay Plus 2.0 manage it maps in the server
and Netplay plus 2.0 also runs a monster factory for each map,
the abs is located in the server = less lags more globalization.

I know the structure of popular MMO's, but its basically the same for all of them as they follow the same networking principles so dont assume what I know or what I dont know. The fact Netplay Plus 2.0 manages the maps from the server shows that the other factors in which are currently client based can be transfered over too. You're wrong about the ABS being entirly server side, without client imput the ABS wouldnt work so it has to be a two way system. The system can be improved, the fact your just telling him to go from 'your' system to another entire language is a bit shit. You could have tried to help him solve the problem.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.