Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Need ideas on how to make this system of mine work...

Hello again all!

I'm having some trouble getting an important part of my game to work. The crux of the game is that the player selects a party of up to 4 characters out of a possible 8, and then specifies where each member of that party goes on a map to intercept oncoming enemies that are following paths toward an event that would signal a game over. The player may switch between these parties of one character to move them around on the fly. If any of you have played Final Fantasy VI, the parts in the game where you have multiple parties (like when you play as Locke and the moogles to protect Terra from the incoming soldiers) is exactly how I'd like mine to go, except that each "party" that you place is composed of only one the member you specified there.

This is a video of the scene I just mentioned from FFVI. If any of the enemies reach the woman at the top (Terra), the game is over. The player can choose where to put each of their parties to intercept those enemies. As I was saying though, unlike here, I'd like each "party" to only consist of a single character, one from the 4 the player specified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_PzVt7AMxY

Does anyone have an ideas? I've looked into several party changing scripts, but none seem to fit the purpose I'm looking for =/ All help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: There exists a multiple party script for VX by Modern Algebra: http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=25710.0 that would work excellently, I think. However, after searching over the past day, it appears that there's no equivalent for XP. I'll post my request to convert that script in the appropriate forum. In case that doesn't work out, anyone know way to achieve this system via eventing?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.