Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Musician for hire!

Hey guys, I recently quit my job to focus 100% on what I love to do most, and that's making music.
I can make songs for basically any reason you may need them, including video games, videos, movies, royalty free beats, and more.

To check out a lot of the video game music I've made, go to https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B77U ... lBSX3pyNUk
For some beats that I have made, go to http://www.pond5.com/video-sound-effect ... scott.html
To listen to some of my actual music, you can go to http://prescottofficial.bandcamp.com/

I have 3 years of experience making music electronically and every time I make a track I get better and better. I use a combination of Logic Pro 9 (mainly), Acoustica Mixcraft 5, and Audacity.

If any of you are interested, please send me an email at prescottofficial@gmail.com and we can discuss what you need and what rates. All of my music is royalty free (just a credit to Carter Eggenberger in your game or video is fine; music not needed but at slightly higher rates) and is generally $12 a piece (which I understand is pretty cheap), but we can work something else out if need be.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope I can make music for a lot of you!

moog

Sponsor

best of luck to you man but I wouldnt have quit my job just to make computer music, unless you get some AMAZING GIGS or have a college degree to fall back on. that just sounds stupid

I have mixed feelings about your music. I write music myself and I like the amount of stuff you've done, and after looking through the tracklist of Final Judgement I was pretty impressed.

The quality on the other hand, is a different story.
If you'd like to read my criticism, it's just here. I give you the option because I am aware this is not a thread asking for criticism.
Please understand that I am trying to help you, even if I sound really harsh.
Honestly, a large number of your tracks sound like you just had to power them out and get them done. There is very little mixing, most songs sound empty (this is from what I listened to) and lacking a proper number of instruments to make it sound complete.
Also, it sounds like you got midis and just threw soundfonts on them, as the music is very rough. The experience isn't all that great listening to the music on its own.

I strongly suggest you spend two weeks or so just on one track and make it as polished as possible. Choose instruments that compliment each other and spend the time to fill it with as many layers as you think it needs to sound like a complete song. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a song needs to have 10 instrument tracks in it, I'm saying that with the style you've chosen, it sounds empty with the number you have at the moment.

Lets take 'Prologue' for example. There is nothing wrong with the notes at all, and the theory is fine. The issue is the execution.
1. The strings cut off so fast. Having no release on them makes them sound really synthed and it breaks the mood.
2. It's empty. Even if it's a strings-only piece, it should at least have a full string sound
3. It's empty. Anything to compliment them would be fine. A timpani in the background would go a long way.
4. It's empty. Perhaps a little reverb? More than 2 different notes at a time would make it much more complete sounding.
5. Dynamics. If it's a prologue, it has a mood to convey, right?

Iremos Forest was a little better. It had a bit more happening, and it clearly took a bit longer to make. Already by just having 4 or 5 instruments (even if it is repetitive) it was still much more enjoyable to listen to. Whether or not that's because the other instruments masked the strings, I'm not sure. It was definitely an improvement.

Help Needed needed a bit of help. The drums were very empty, and the piano seriously needs dynamics.

Mageia Village I could tell was a castle/busy town, which it conveyed well. The virtual people playing brass section sounded like they wanted to kill themselves though - It really needs dynamics. Also, I don't think they paused for a break to breathe through the entire song - Keep note lengths in mind. Hopefully the player didn't need to be in the town for too long, because it was pretty repetitive and the brass didn't help.

House was alright. Pretty chilled. Repetitive though.

Mystikistí̱s Caves was okay - I see what you were aiming for, but the music box running up and down would drive me crazy. Repetitive. It sounds good as an intro, but I expected a drop at 0:30 where deep strings come in with a choir and drums.

Robber's Theme conveys the idea. The drums sounded a bit silly.

Shop is the best one I've heard so far. The rhythm was interesting, and it was interesting to listen to. The melody did seem a bit too all-over-the-place, kinda like you were just choosing notes that were in the scale however.

Mavros Mines shows me that you're getting better. I don't really have much to say about it - The choirs were good, but I would say it would benefit from having the drums sound a bit more drum like and less like a bouncing yoga ball.

Basilisk Boss Battle - Very empty. It has melody, it has bass, but 50% of the sound is completely missing. It seriously needs more filler sound. The drums sounded really really good though. I hope they're not premade loops.

Mount Karotsiéri̱s - The piano was way too loud. The rhythm was okay, but it sounded like strings should have come in at 0:12 with a more complex melody

That was the last one I'll talk about. I highly suggest ensuring that each piece is at least 1 minute long without looping. That would kill the repetitive bug in it's tracks because at the moment they hardly hit 10 seconds, and yet each song has been looped to 2 minutes or so.
Also, keep in mind that composition is only half the battle. Mixing is also very important.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.