Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Multimedia Fusion 2 - Yay or nay?

It's versatile, easy to use, and powerful... So why do so many people seem to dislike it? I've tried Game Maker, MMF2 and Construct 2, and I actually prefer MMF2 so far. I've seen many games created with the program that could be considered professional quality, most often Sonic fangames and engines for such things.

My concern is that there is a reason for its unpopularity... Is there some gaping downside to making a game in MMF2 that I don't know about? I've actually enjoyed more MMF2 games than Construct 2 ones. Any comments, opinions, information, etc. is appreciated!

It's an artist's engine. Not much to it on the coding side of things. A lot of it has to do with "indie elitism" from people who will never finish a God damn thing anyway.

If you're serious about finishing a project and you aren't too knowledgeable on the programming side if things, but can make your own graphics, it's a great buy.

I haven't actually used MMF2, so I don't really have an informed opinion on the subject, but I personally wouldn't want to use an engine I couldn't program in. Making complex or unique things without access to the code is tough. But if you're not a programmer and don't want to learn, something like MMF2 is much better than something where you have to code to get anything done.

MMF2 rocks! It is similar to Game Maker in many ways.

I've used both and attempted to use Construct and much prefer MMF2.
MMF2 can be as complex as you need and in my opinion its pretty powerful.

You can use advanced math, make your own engines, use alterable variables, global values, INI, Mode7, OpenGL, Directx support.

This is what i'm making with it at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=78&p=904574#p904574

MMF2 is alright, but I agree with UWE. It's an artists engine. The sprite editor is fantastic however I don't think it allows for diagonal movement sprites.
The coding side of things is really rather lacking and to me I found it somewhat disappointing.
I'm an avid user of C2 and so it gave me something to compare it to. C2 is by no means perfect but I think it has more positives than MMF2. And besides, running MMF2 on XP is just horrible to look at...
Perhaps I need to use MMF2 more. I mean. I described it quite badly but it isn't entirely horrible.

They mention netbooks on their website so I presume it should be fine even on a small resolution. I can't test mine 'til my laptop arrives but will let you know if I get the same problem. :/

My opinion, I agree with [united washcloth express].

If your an artist but can't code worth your life and are determined to finish the project, then look into it.
I've taken Java courses and one C++ course. I want to go into game development, but yet to have any credits to apply towards such with just the 3 courses.

I got it through one of Humble Bundles Weekly sales, looking at both sides, if you take the time to code, you have more freedom to edit things and change them to the way you want, but it takes up time and you have to understand where things are; in a sense, you need to have good 'Spacial Reasoning' or idea of how things look before they are made.

On the flip side, your sacrificing a few flexible freedoms, however you can see what your doing and have the ability to finish your projects much more quickly.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.