Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Master of the Wind

Master of the Wind (Complete!)

You won't have to wait much longer friend. The final chapter of the series, arc 7, is at the tail end of development. I'll be updating this thread with new details in the coming months.

ArtBane":3gx84hcy said:
You won't have to wait much longer friend. The final chapter of the series, arc 7, is at the tail end of development. I'll be updating this thread with new details in the coming months.

sweet finally dude. i like to think that i've been a part of this game for years. let me know if you need someone to test or anything. also i have my own place now so if you guys wanna come over sometime and go through the game that would be rad.

Haven't posted here in a long time, but with MotW's final arc so close to complete, I figured now was the time. ArtBane and I expect the last arc to enter its testing phase within a couple of weeks, and once we're satisfied that bugs and other issues have been dealt with, it's time to put the game's last chapter out to the general public. Testing is done through our forums. Des, we should be able to arrange some kind of live testplay if you're interested.

When you've been working on something for so long, you start to look back at how it began. Summer 2005 seems like a long time ago. I'd be curious if anyone here remembers the rough demo that was posted on rmxp.net in November of that year. We had our concept and characters in place at the start, but there was a long way to go in terms of polish. Thankfully, we had some very invested players from the start, folks like Des, Wumpi, Monkey Salt, and some others. By the time we got to Arc III and IV, we seemed to have really found our groove and folks here at rmxp.org (formerly known as, at least) overwhelmed us with praise and enthusiasm.

I left these forums during Arc V following some dissatisfaction with the tenor of this place...that too seems like a long time ago and I can't really get a sense yet of what it's like today - though it's oddly refreshing to see that people are still having overwrought arguments about the importance of mapping, haha. While we still released the chapters here, unless you followed us to our own site, a lot of you probably haven't been kept up to speed on the work we've done on the project since then.

A brief recap - Once Arc V was completed, we began a major revision to the previous arcs based on feedback we had received here and on some other sites where MotW has been played. ArtBane totally re-balanced the battle system...the previous arcs are probably much easier than longtime fans remember...though that's not to say the game has become a cakewalk. The endgame battles in Arc VII are pretty rough. We implemented an encounter rate bar that gave players the ability to anticipate fights...there were also new items that would decrease the encounters (if you're sick of them) or increase them (if you want to grind). We had a great update regarding the display of status effects...it is no longer difficult to keep track of which ones are currently active and what effects they have. Some of the older maps got redone (Port Arianna especially). I made some tweaks to the structure of the cutscene heavy Arc V - All the content is still there, but it's broken up more so it's not quite as much at once.

But I know you all are more interested in Arc VII, so I have a few screenshots for you.

7screenie3.PNG

The heroes get ready to take to the skies.

7screen02.png

A puzzle revolving around statues...

laurelvketsu2.PNG

Air duel between Laurel and Ketsu. This screenshot's a tad outdated, we played around with the filter more since I took it.

I also completed what will probably be the last trailer I ever create for this project. The audio timing I had in mind didn't totally translate to the YouTube version, but hopefully it still works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNh5KKFndMM

Here's an image worth sharing too.
nomoremaps.png

Feels like an Xbox 360 achievement should have popped up on my computer screen for that one. RMXP doesn't let you make more than 999 maps. Luckily, there are lot of testing/organizational maps that we can clear out to make room for the ones we need, but it's pretty tricky to manage.

Anyhow, expect a lot of news in this thread in the near future!

ok trailer got me pumped dude. mostly because i hadn't realized just how long ago that first arc was. 2005, really? that's fucking impressive. congratulations on making it this far and i'll definitely be the first in line to test this thing. i'd be happy to play it again all the way through (for what, the fourth time now?)

Testing has begun. It shouldn't be much longer before the full game is released. If anyone here is still interested in testing shoot me a PM and I'll give you access.

Well, it's obviously been a while since we promised that the last arc was coming "soon." The delay has resulted from outside interference (damn real world responsibilities, what a pain. Don't they realize we have a game to get out?) and not from any problem with the game. Testing is done, some bug-fixing and final tweaks need to occur and then we're done. We're hoping for October, but I wouldn't be especially surprised if it spilled into early November. :rock:

Yeah, so we weren't planning on having a freak October snowstorm utterly kick Connecticut's ass. Both ArtBane and I currently without power at our homes, but hopefully it will come back before too long. Before this happened, there had been some good progress on the last round of bug-fixing and artwork. Thanks for your patience and we hope to have this bad boy out as soon as we can.

Another update: The game is done, but we're not releasing it on the larger forums just yet. The reason for this is we had some concerns that some of the structural changes to scripts and whatnot that we needed to make some parts of Arc VII possible could feasibly have an impact on the previous arcs. It was hard to talk our testers into playing the entire game AGAIN just to look out for that, so we figured we would have something of a "public beta" on our forums. So once we're confident that we've weeded out any major issues, we'll formally bring it over here. But if you really can't wait, you can get a hold of the public beta at our forums on http://www.solest.org.

Okay, this is IT. The complete Master of the Wind (including Arc VII) is now available on the first page of this thread! (and here if you don't want to waste time getting there) We've had it on our website for a while, allowing our players to find bugs and other issues that we've fixed for this version. It's possible we may update it in the future for additional artwork and stuff, but this is the real deal. Thanks for the years of support and we hope you enjoy the end of MotW!

gRaViJa":uu26cjke said:
This is a great achievement man, why isn't everyone all over this thread?
Because they're too busy playing :P Yeah you're right though, it is a great achievement. Congrats! I'm really looking forward to finishing the game now :D

Congratulations, it must feel great! I honestly would probably rank this as one of the best RPGs I've ever played and probably the best RPGMaker game I have played (I'd say there is one more that I consider equal.)

I plan to download and finish the new version with haste. Although, it has been so long since I made my original file, perhaps I should start all over from the beginning...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.