Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Making moogles

Making Moogles

This Event Scripting tutorial will guide you through how to make World Map Moogle events. Similar to Final fantasy IX, where you press [square] to show a moogle!

First of all we need our moogle event. Place this in the bottom-left corner of your world map map.

Have it's graphic as "none", it's speed as 6 and it's frequency as 6. Set it to "through". (Thanks Chaosg1)

Now create a second event, anywhere on the screen, as a parallel process. Put in this event:

<>Conditional branch: L button is pressed. # Change L to any key you like.
: <>Set move route: [moogle (event 1)]
: : <>Change graphic: "mooglecharset"
: : <>SE: 010-system10 # Running SE, works well for this.
: : <>Move towards player
# There is probably a better way to do this, but measure the diagonal size of your map, then put move towards player that many times.
<>Wait for move's completion
Label: Restart_e
<>Message: Moogle:
: : : : : : : : You called, kupo?
<>Show choices: Save?, Tent?, Mognet?, Cancel
: <>When [Save?]
: : <>Message: Let's save, kupo!
: : <>Call save screen
: : <>Jump to label: Restart_e
: <>When [Tent?]
: : <>Conditional branch: [Tent] is possessed
: : : <>Message: Tent was used.
: : : <>Remove item: Tent
: : : <>Change HP: Whole party, max
: : : <>Change SP: Whole party, max
: : <>Else
: : : <>Message: You have no tents left!
: : <>End
: <>When [Mognet?]
: : <> # You'll have to do this bit. :)
: : <> Jump to label: Restart_e
: <>When [Cancel]
: : <>Message: Moogle:
: : : : : : : : : : Seeya, kupo!
: : <>Set move route: [Moogle (event1)]
: : # I haven't worked out a better way to do this either. ':|
: : <>Move down (the amount of tiles your map is high)
: : <>Move left (the amount of tiles your map is wide)
: : <>Change graphic: None
: :<>Wait for move's completion
: <>Else
:
<> Branch end
:

And that's it!

A complete FFIX style moogle event on the world map.

: <>When [Tent?]
: : <>Message: Tent was used.
: : <>Remove item: Tent
: : <>Change HP: Whole party, max
: : <>Change SP: Whole party, max

Don't you have to make a Conditional Branch stating that if player has Tent, then do that else do nothing?

Anyways, good tutorial, might find use for this.

It wouldn't be exactly the same as FF IX, but it'd work better if the Moogle would teleport near the player.

But I'm not exactly sure.

Anonymous

Indeed. It would be better to move the event to just out of visible range using Set Event Location, then move it to player.

Urgh... I said similar to Final Fantasy IX, meaning if you haven't played FFIX you wont know what one is.

You can't say there's no point just because you don't know what a moogle is, that's like not knowing what a car is and saying "I don't know what a car is so there is no point in people teaching people to drive". ;)

A moogle is a little critter that allows you to save, use tents, and do something called "mognet" to contact other moogles. It is a vital part if FFIX instead of save points. When [square] is pressed on the world map (in this case, L) a moogle appears running towards you.

@above people: I see what you mean... My brain has gone numb and I can't think how to move the event to just out of vision. I'll sleep on it.

take the player x and y then set the x, -15 maybe, then teleport the moggle there and bam, move from there. YOu'll need error handeling if your at the edge of the map, to make sure he comes for the other side, and if there was water, you'd still have the issue of the mog walking on water :)

Jason

Awesome Bro

Wouldn't it be easier if you just got the 8 direction script? so if you were at x: 15, y:15, you could make it run straight diagonal instead of right 15 then up 15? (Only a Suggestion.)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.