Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[ISSUE] Annoying priorities / savegames bug - Help!

Phrono

Hi people!

I found a curious (and annoying) bug related to the priority of the tilesets and saved games in my RPGMaker XP game:

When testing the game from the beginning all priorities are displayed correctly, or when I place the beginning of the game in a specific map and then make an event where some character is automatically added to the party.

BUT when I load a saved game, priorities are "out of step", making objects that would normally be above the character, are showed below.

You can imagine the result: The character goes above a LOT of objects, giving the feeling that I have not properly configured tileset priorities (which I assure it's done) :grin:

It seems that the character "loses" its priorities regarding the objects when loading a previous savegame, but not when starting a new game or adding a character to the party (I always use "return to the initial state", does it matter?). In this cases, the priorities are displayed perfectly.

I have no idea about programming, just some basics (just enough to implement some scripts that I may like, and hardly), so do not think it's an incompatibility with some script because I've used very few. However, I removed all scripts that had implemented except the "auto full screen Alt+Intro" trick.

Does anyone have any idea where this bug can be located and if there is any way to fix it? It's quite annoying and affects badly the gameplay... :cry:

Thank you very much in advance.

Phrono

Always on top? What's that?

You mean something like the check marked in the "Options" area from this screenshot? This is my save game menu event.
I have RPgXP in spanish, but i think the translation for the check is "Above Character".

vct2co.jpg

If it's not something like that, i don't really know what are you talking about.
Thanks a lot! :smile:

That makes the event always on top. Appearing above other events and the player. Like if you wanted a bird flying over everything you'd turn on "Always on top" and "Through". You can apply this to the player with "set move route"

If both the event and player are set to "always on top" the player will be higher

Phrono

I've checked it and that functions are not used... Do you mean this ones, right?

nq4t2c.jpg

If that's the case... No, there's no single use of these in all the game...

EDIT: Oooops!! Sorry for double posting!

This happens in every file you load? Or just that one save file? Humor me and add an event(you call them objects?) that turns off the player's "move to front". Just see if it changes anything when you run it in that file.

You got to be careful with old saves. Changing something in the database isn't always reflecting in the save data. If you accidentally turned on "Move to front" and saved it's going to stay on when you load even if you deleted the Event that turned it on.
----------------------------------------------------------
The "return to the initial state" resets the character data back to the starting level, skills, and equipment. You don't want your character wearing the best equipment to leave and come back at level 1 and that equipment gone.

Phrono

You're the f*cking master! I created an object that disables "bring to front" in contact with character and everything is displayed correctly playing with one of the "corrupt" saves!!

So apparently I used it somewhere and I forgot to turn it off... probably not even noticing it :eek:uch: Although it is strange because I never knew what that function is used for (I'm pretty noob) and I do not usually use things that do not understand...

I think I'll have to make a deeper review of the code. However, thanks THANKS a lot! You gave me the clue I needed!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.