Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Is it illegal to make money off an RMXP game?

1. Is it illegal to sell a game made with RPG Maker XP?

2. Is it illegal to make an MMORPG out of RPG Maker XP and then offer premium membership by paying a monthly fee?

Two super important questions :D.

Oh and I don't want to hear any crap about ohhh no you can't make an MMORPG with RMXP. You have no idea what I'm intending to make.

Tindy

Sponsor

1. No. Many people have made commercial games. Notable ones are (most recently) Whisper of a Rose, and of course the notorious Aveyond series.

2. Can't help with that one...

Nolund

Sponsor

I believe that to make a commercial game using RMXP you need to make everything from scratch (tilesets, charsets, etc). However, I could be wrong on this.

And I would doubt it's illegal to charge a monthly fee. However, as I don't know what you're planning, I can say this:

Most people aren't going to be willing to pay monthly for a 32-bit system. Even some eye-candy games that start out as P2P end up F2P.

Anyway, good luck.

The game will be both F2P as well as P2P. The paid players will simply get more features such as being able to travel to other continents as well as a customized character look and other extras, except for EXP boosts, and probably be no more than $5/month. This would mainly be to support server costs but any extra money goes in my pocket and pays the other people who helped me with the game.

Syr

Oh. So you're making an online game?

Well good luck competing against games so people are wiling to pay for such as world of warcraft or other games worth paying for. (I can't really say worth because I never played warcraft or paid for an online game. And I'll never pay for one XD)

Anyway. Hopefully you'll get somewhere.

If you do. Notify me. I know some people who "might" play on you server.

Actually my game is going to be quite different from the typical MMORPG's.

It's going to be based on catching and fighting with pets... A lot like Pokemon! Kindof like a mix of Pokemon/Neopets. Battles will be like pokemon but there will also be lots of mini games like Neopets has. So generally speaking, I don't have much competition because there aren't any known pet-based MMORPG's I know of other than Pokemon World Online, which is... okay... But will probably eventually get shut down for violating pokemon's copyright? But I won't have copyright issues because everything will be original, other than the idea of catching pets and using them to fight... And that's a pretty broad idea. If it's illegal to make a game like that for profit then it's illegal to make a game that you can jump in for profit hahaha.

Steal my idea and I'll fry you >:O

If you have legally purchased a copy of RPG Maker XP, then the answer to both of your questions is: No, it is perfectly legal. You may even use the RTP graphics (though I advise against it, just because they are ugly) Now, this assumes that the creators of any scripts or graphics you use allow their works in commercial use. You will have to check the terms of use for each individual piece you use.

EDIT:

NNolund":1p5pqrnn said:
Most people aren't going to be willing to pay monthly for a 32-bit system.

32 bits refers to the number of colors. The highest color setting on your computer is 32 bit. That is 2 to the power of 32 different colors, which is about 4 and a quarter billion colors. I guarantee you have not played a game with more than 32-bits of color. I think you mean for a 2D game, which is a whole other issue. I've seen some games make money with a P2P system in 2D, but the most successful ones use a F2P plus some premium items.

All right great. I havn't actually bought RMXP but I have no problem buying it since I'm gonna try to make money off it haha. Wheres the best place to buy it? It's not the kind of thing you find at walmart, ya know.

Syr

lol Alot of people didn't buy it. Oh wow.

Why? It's kind of a waste of money when you have a friend give you it for free (expect he uh.. used a key generator)

^shame on him :)

Hahaha I'm poor and and.....

I have tons of downloaded software...

Oh well. It's too tempting to not pay 100$ for photoshop and just download it instead. Is it really wrong ? Idk. Hahaha. Adobe is plenty rich so I'm not hurting them... I'm just a kidd and the world is a nightmare :D

1. It depends.
If you only use the RTP-package then it probably is, but i dont expect ANYONE (i am serious) to pay for a game which is based on others work except some modification and 99% work made by others, not you, but that is only if they find out. But yet still, they wont buy it because of the poor quality.

WARNING (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AS HELL)!!!
If you are going to use resources such as sprites, graphics and further so on, made by others, perhaps scripts, graphical/pixelate-related or anything else made/created/produced et.c by others, then you HAVE to ask them for permission, thus it MUST be official positive answer if you want to use it. Cause if you dont, then you might get into some really serious problem. Some worth mentioning is: Lawproblem, Jail, Economic taxes rise and much much more to do with the law itself as you are violating the rule of Copyright, which is being taken serious in MANY countries. Also, you will also get alot of problem with some people (me for instance) as alot of people really hate when other people take credits for what they hav'nt done, and will take any actions nessecarily to make it hell for you. Justice is EXTREMELY important for me, and for ALOT others. Also, if you do get a positive permission to be able to use the resources, make sure to credit the resourcer and if there is any catches, make sure to follow/ancomplish them as a part of the deal. I had a few things left to say on my mind, but i've seem to have forgotten them.

Final Notice: Make sure to have positive permission to use everything you are using such as graphics, scripts and other stuff which is NOT made by you. Editing others work wont make the resource yours, you STILL have to ask for permission, unless it is 100% yours.. not 99% or what ever.
You must pass the copyright law justicefily and make sure to follow the law itself. Otherwise, not only will you have trouble with the law, but also haters.

2. The answer is the same as mine with some exceptions.
RPG Maker XP created by Enterbrain is especially designed and created for creating Rollplaying Games ONLY! It is NOT designed for Massive Multiplayer Rollplaying Games, AT ALL! Thus in some countries, most of them though, it is against the Copyright law to be using product for wrong purposes, unless the creators/producers/company of/behind the product lets the buyers/owners to. But in this case, Enterbrain have NOT included this right. In case you want to make an MMORPG by of RMXP, you MUST (Absolutely must!) ask Enterbrain for permission. And it wont be easy though. You can go black, but you will be risking alot as hell, also, you wont be successful as incase if you do, then Enterbrain will find out about it and since you are successful, it is worth sueing you as they will earn great profit out of you cause you will be in debt of probably million of dollars and your life is screwed. So basicly, you are just making it worse for yourself.

Another notice:
But i just want to tell you that it IS possible to make an MMORPG by RMXP but dont expect it to go smooth as Tibia or any other 2D MMORPGs or 3D incase you are going to make it 2D. RMXP is NOT 100% stable and there is ALWAYS some bug. When you fix one, another will come up and then another again and so on. In my opinion, i dont know you and what your capabilities are but you will NOT be able to create a smooth and/or successful MMORPG with RMXP. If you want to make an MMORPG, please use other programs. Trust me.. you will FAIL! (Repeat: FAIL!)!
RPG Maker XP (RPG Tsukuru XP) created by Enterbrain was NOT created/produced for the purpose of MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roll-Playing Games)-creation. It was created for the purpose to let other players create their own RPG games (Roll-Playing Games) - ONLY!

If you want to create an MMORPG, make sure to have a crew/staff. As it is most likely impossible to create a good one yourself. But a miserable one is perhaps possible but yet that takes ALOT of time and using resources by others, you have to ask for permission. Also, dont expect anyone to spend money such as premiums or any benefits on your game unless they have a reason to. Dont expect players to pay for your lousy epic-phailed game created by RMXP. If you really want to make an mmorpg, perhaps not the best but suitable and playable, THEN FOR THE SAKE OF GOD, dont use RPG Maker XP or any other products that are not capable of it/suitable or designed for it. As you will get into both technical problems in the game (massive of it) and economical, as well as law problems with the cops and the law itself. DONT USE RPG MAKER XP TO MAKE MMORPGS!

I dont think anyone would like to pay to play your lousy epic failed mmorpg game. I dont think they even want to pay their TIME to play it. Also, you will most likely lose your interrest of creating one. Its not that easy.
Many people have tried and wanted to make one, so why should YOU success among the many others.

If you really are desperate for an MMORPG, then make sure to use progrems and technologies that are designed and/or capable of it. And make sure to have a staff of at least one specialized in every category such as Graphic designer and further such. And it takes alot of time to create an MMORPG, and money and you will have to be spending alot.
You will NOT be able to make a game without risking alot, wasting alot of time AND money! You MUST have money.
Also, in case you want to earn money on it, you HAVE to have the suitable age, and in most countries it is at least of age 18 or 21, to be the VD / or / the leader of the company or the game itself, to be able to make money.
Also, as if it will be a work, you have to pay your staff for their work cause they have to pay rent, food and maybe some money for their freetime and hobbies.

I get the idea of you being like 13 years old =P
If you hav'nt gone of school yet, do that first and go study into gaming-industries. Life is not easy!

- As for you asking those questions.
Please make sure to study gaming-industries and such, as you must have to, to be able to make money and for your game/product to go smooth. Not being successful (as that requires luck too), but good, making it possible for you to survive and pay you and your staff the money at least of the minimum wage, which in the most countries is about apprx. 2000 dollers a month. It waries from country to country and the BMI the country holds.

I am right now studying for medicine and doctor.. and my best advice is to stay away from this industry as you wont earn much and chance of being successful is lower than having the opportunity to earn at least 25000 dollers a month.

In case of any further questions, please PM them.
If you cant w8 for my answers, you can add me on msn =P But i do not want to post it here. PM me incase you want it.

p.S I am NOT an adult, but i still know how most of it works (or atleast most of it). How ever, i'll wont answer questions which requires answers that i do NOT know. As economics and worldmarketing is an important subject at the end of 9th grade.

NOTE: I do NOT hold any resposibilities of any kind of situations revolving this, as i am right now just trying to help and answer the questions of my own knowledge, opinion and thoughts.

Yes. It was completely stable, populated with players, and free, and I remember playing it a few years back. And it used RTP graphics. Oh god. I honestly still can't remember the name, and it's probably long dead by now, but it is interesting to note, anyway.

Yeah um your long post was the reason I said you have NO idea who I am or my capabilities. I'm not stupid nor 13. Nor would it be an "MMORPG" it would be an "ORPG"

Not to mention it wouldn't have an active battle system. To top that off, all of the NPC's will be client side as well. The only server-side stuff is user registration, drawing other players, chat, and battling (turn-based in a SEPERATE window like pokemon). EASY AS HELL. In fact I already designed a server-client system which involved all of that... from scratch... in C... FOR PLAYSTATION PORTABLE. But I'm clueless and 13. LOL. I've read posts exactly like yours millions of times and you're exactly right there are TONS of people who try to make mmorpg but they're clueless and have no programming knowledge, just an idea and a dream. However that still doesn't give you a right to assume the same of me and bash me.

I'm pretty sure it'd be easy as hell to make. And I wasn't planning on making 25000 dollars a month. I'd be happy with making 1000 a month out of it >.>

You went way out of your way by insulting me, calling me 13 years old, and telling me I already epicly failed. All I asked was about the legality of it. Using RMXP would result in me not having to design my own mapping system which would save a ton of time.

I did not ask you SHIT about how to make a damn MMORPG nor any of the logistics of it. All I asked was if it would be illegal or not.

If it hasn't been mentionned before, you will need to make an agreement with the maker of NetPlay. Unless you want to script the whole thing yourself. But really, I never understand why people want to use RMXP to make ONLINE games.

Avgen, shut your mouth and try google to check your ROLL-playing game genre. Seriously, you got owned, Avgen.

Yes, Fire&Ice, so you can program and I believe in your abilities. But you will also have a limit on one of the resources you may need, like graphics, music, sound effects, etc. You will always need help from someone to complete your data files. Good luck with that.

Yes, you can make an MMMORPG with RMXP but as Ruby and RGSS isn't too powerful when it comes to handling graphics, it won't look as good as everything else you see nowadays. It is quite good with Rails though so database design and networking will work good with it. Especially with your C/C++ or whatever language you are good at, you could make it a lot better. I hope the Ruby scripting language will improve though.

With single player RPGs, you can sell them as long as (previous posts' conditions) are met. Not too many problems with that.
With MMMORPG though, you can charge the players, as far as I know, but it is a whole new issue with settling a contract with Enterbrain, or if they let you do it.

Good luck!

Has anybody actually read the license agreement?

The answers to your questions are: No, and No. It is not illegal to sell your game, or to make an ORPG (massive or otherwise) and charge to play.
(as long as you have a legally registered copy of RMXP to make your game with.)

By using RMXP to make your game, you implicitly indemnify Enterbrain from any & all liability that may arise from you "stealing resources or otherwise copyrighted intellectual property." In layman's terms, they don't give a shit. Neither of your scenarios in any way damages Enterbrain. In fact, they promote sales of additional copies of their software.

So, make your game, put it online, and let me know when it's up & running & I'll sign up. :scruff:

Be Well

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.