Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How to turn your RMXP/RMVX project into a single installable EXE.

During the process of making Fallen Shadows I started to wonder how I could turn my game into a single installable EXE.

Most other games use this function, so why not Rpg-Maker games?

This will work for both your Rpg Maker XP and Rpg Maker VX games.

I use a program called INNO Setup, that does all the work for you.

Step 1 - Download INNO Setup

Step 2 - Install the software

Step 3 - Compress/Encrypt your game

Step 4 - Run INNO setup compiler

Step 5 - Open a new project, usng the express wizard.

Step 6 - Type in the information for your project into the correct boxes.

Step 7 - Okay, once you enter that information, the wizard asks you to pick the main exectuable file. For this, use Game.exe file in your projects folder.

Step 8 - Directly below this, click the "Add Folder" option, and include the entire folder for your project.

Step 9 - The program also adds the option to open a text document up before and after installing. I use this to show information on the game, how to run it, how to play it, and after I show credits on who helped.

Step 10 - Now you can pick a custom folder and or the main installations file name, and also a custom Icon for your game. This must be a *.ICO, and be 32x32 pixels.

Step 11 - Run the compiler, and you have your game, all wrapped up into one nice and compact exectuable!

Links - http://www.innosetup.com/isdl.php

What Third333strike is explaining, is that inno setup allows you to create an installer for your game, not an actual EXE file (well, the EXE is the installer). The problem with including the RTP with VX (NOT XP, you need manually import everything from material base) is that it includes the entire RTP and that could sometimes include a lot of additional material that's not even used.

RMVX and XP already create a single exe file with everything in it.

I simply use winRar to make SFX installers when I feel the need (Self Extracting Archives) and they are pretty simple with additional things you can do like add a txt file, icon, tc.. The compressed game data that XP/VX creates are nothing more than SFX installers that you simply extract from.

I tried inno once but it failed me, crashed.. Heh.. :)

I think molebox does the same thing plus it prevents people from decompiling your project to steal your precious resources, I don't know if inno does it too.  But inno is nice since its free.

@Mimi Chan
I've never known about molebox...

As far as resources go, as long as you encrypt your game when you make the game disk, they will be encrypted automatically. That's not to say someone couldn't take your stuff no matter how you encrypt something, or pack it. I guess that would depend on the quality of your work, and how much someone would want it. :)

As far as encrypting goes with VX and XP, the Audio doesn't get encrypted by RPG Maker, so in reality, the encryption feature is more/less... useless. :-/ I guess you can at least save your graphics... to an extent.

Jking

Vorpal 86":38xibgfo said:
@Mimi Chan
I've never known about molebox...

As far as resources go, as long as you encrypt your game when you make the game disk, they will be encrypted automatically. That's not to say someone couldn't take your stuff no matter how you encrypt something, or pack it. I guess that would depend on the quality of your work, and how much someone would want it. :)

As far as encrypting goes with VX and XP, the Audio doesn't get encrypted by RPG Maker, so in reality, the encryption feature is more/less... useless. :-/ I guess you can at least save your graphics... to an extent.

there is some one making a program to...decompile them

misk

Custom installers, Hey people i have been reading up on this and well i make custom software and i
have started to play with the XP and VX and i went back to XP as i don't like VX but my point is
i am going to be making custom installers that will be able to install and unistall your game with
the files needed to run it, I would say include the files manuel to your images but the core would be
included in the installer if your intrested PM me.

yeah watch what you say....
when you sadi exe in your game folder totally misconstrewed what you said it's not and exe its an rssg file so change the first post and knock out the confusion

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.