Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How to make the player walk up and down diagonal platforms

Jason

Awesome Bro

Hmm...

So I can't figure this out to save my life, I've drawn the hearts I'll be using to display lives, and I've set it out like this;

If lives are equal to 2 (This is just for an example)
   ^
   Draw the lives as image
   Draw number of lives
   v

And each time the player collides with an enemy (Just using some spikes at the mo), I've made it do "Set lives: -1"

But nothing even displays at all, even before I hit the spikes or anything...

Does anyone know how to properly display lives like this ?

Cheers.

So I don't know how to really put a name to this problem for the title... but what I'm trying to do is;

When you jump on an enemies head, the enemy dies, but if you hit it from the side, you lose a life...

Now, I know how to make it so the player loses a life, or so the enemy "dies", but what I don't know is how to check the position of the player, like how to check if you're on the enemies head, or side...

I would prefer if someone could make a demo for it, as well as explain how it was done, although either will work as long as it's clear enough for me to follow,

Cheers.

So instead of having just plain flat surfaces to walk on, I've decided to have bumpy floors (Simulating the ourdoors), and diagonal sloped floors,

However, the problem is that as soon as it comes to a bumpy surface or diagonal floor, my player just stops completely and won't budge...

Same as before, if someone could make me a demo and/or explain it as simple as possible, I'd be very grateful,

Cheers.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Lol yeah, haha.

Well atleast I've got around or just over half of my games "features" done now, and when I've got them all, making the game itself will be VERY easy, infact, once I've got the objects created (Only need a few more), then I'll be able to easily make a game with a dozen levels or so in like an hour, lol.

My two priorities at the moment is projectiles, and proper enemy AI... the latter which seems impossible, lol.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.