Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How many sprites can I create?

Straight to the point: I am scripting a pure RGSS-based lighting system, i.e. I'll not invoke any bitmap file outside of the program. The idea is to make a lighting system much more realistic and less laggy than the ones I have found on-line.

I am progressing quite well. The idea is pretty similar to how the standard "weather" option is programmed. It is based on a new viewport, one layer above the characters' viewport (@viewport1), which creates "shadow particles" sprites. Finally, the way the light would be seen by the player is simply the way these "shadow particles" behave dynamically among the update steps.

At finally last, my doubt:
I am constantly being quenched by some kind of sprite limit, that suddently shut the game down whenever the number of sprites raise to a certain level (and really, that does not mean the game is getting laggy, it isn't!). Anyone knows about this limit? How many sprites can't I exceed? Is it viewport related (i.e. would I enlarge this limit by creating more viewports?)? Is there any manner I could enlarge it?

best regards, thanks

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.