Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How do i add a starting screen with text and pictures?

How would i make an intro with pictures and text?
I would like to know this please and thank you guys, because i am very new at RPG Maker XP and i just bought it :)

Fusty

Sponsor

Make a black picture (or whatever you want your background to look like) using paint for instance and add text to it. (don't forget, it has to be 640x480)
Then import it into the Picture Folder of RMXP.
Then make a blank intro map and create an autostart event with the Show Picture command.
You can add a move picture command to make the text scroll off the screen.
If one picture isn't enough you can make a second one appear by adding another Show Picture command.

Set the character set of your actor to none so that he's invisible when you see the intro.
I hope you can understand this since you are new to the program, if you don't I can try to make a demo for you.

Thanks but can you explain how i make a blank intro map? and how i create an autostart with the show picture command?
Thanks, but i am very new so that is why i dont know alot about it xD

viperj":xfpcpnxu said:
Open the event and check the Autorun box somewhere in the lower left corner.
Thanks man! And just wondering, after i finish my intro on my first map, how do i make it go to the second map automatically aswell? and the same about my character, how do i make him invisible and on the next make make him visible?
Thanks! xD

Fusty

Sponsor

On the same event as before add a wait command after your Show Picture command so you won't teleport until the intro is over, then add a Transfer Player command (2nd page of the event commands) to the map you want him to pop up.

To make your character invisible go to the database (F9) go to the actors tab and double-click the Character Graphic box and set it to None.

To make him visible again you can use the Change Actor Graphic command on the 3rd page of the event commands.

One thing to keep in mind, before you teleport, you set an erase event. If you dont do this, the picture will stay there forever;) The number in upperleft on the erase and show picture command, is the image layer. 1 is the lowest, 8 is the highest. Just like mapping layers;)

That's erase Picture, not Erase Event.

Also, to the OP: We are telling you how basic, simple event commands work. You might want to consider reading the manual, playing with the options, or even right-clicking the various controls, which tells you what they do.

Okay, here are what my event pages look like

Event page 1:
help-1.jpg

Event page 2:
help2.jpg

Fusty

Sponsor

On the first page you must not check the self switch box but you have to add an event command: Control Selfswitch and then choose selfswitch A.

Also, you have to add wait commands between the Show picture and Erase picture.

And again, this is basic stuff you really should read the help file.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.