Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Hokuto no Ken RPG - Chapter 1: Cry of the Heart

Hokuto no Ken RPG - Chapter 1: Cry of the Heart

dani3

I have just released a demo of the first chapter of a fangame based on the Hokuto no Ken anime and manga. The game is a beat'em up rpg mainly programmed with a edited version of the XAS battle system.

Story:
Kenshiro is the heir of Hokuto Shin Ken, a deadly martial art originated from China. His girlfriend was kidnapped and he's wandering hopelessly in the desert to find her in a post-nuclear holocaust world.

System:
The main core of the battle system is a edited (by me) XAS battle system by Moghunter. Event systems play a major role as well. Other scripts are also used.

Gameplay:
This game can be defined as a "2d version" of Ken's Rage, the Koei beat'em up. I "stole" the character's growth system idea from it as well as the time-press finisher (credits go to Moghunter again for the chain command script). The character will be able to purchase skills through the Meridian Chart by obtaining ability points after defeating enemies. The character will be able to equip 3 different battle skills (combo attacks/main weapons, offhand weapons and special skills) as well as 1 support skill (to boost the character's stats).

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43AYC7vBaoQ

Demo:

https://rpgmaker.net/games/5317

You might need the Rpg Maker XP RTP as I am afraid there is a couple of things that are default.

Looks like the font file is missing so all the text boxes are blank.
My eyes rolled into the back of my head when the control schematic showed a Ps3 controller while explaining what letter keys did what. My brain couldn't comprehend. It suddenly looked more complicated than what I was expecting. I tried the first fight anyways and died.
I can't remember ever playing a fighting game made in RMXP, and it ran pretty smooth. Kudos.

dani3

Thank you for your feedback, I did put a lot of work in the battle system, I am glad you like it :)
I re-uploaded the demo and added the missing font in the main folder.

dani3

I used ezvideo to record that. The audio was uploaded later, it's not in-game music (as you can probably tell because it's missing sound effects).

Those videos were amazing. This really does look special. Nice work using XAS for a beat 'em up, thinking outside of the box.

dani3

Princess Amy":11qkakv5 said:
Those videos were amazing. This really does look special. Nice work using XAS for a beat 'em up, thinking outside of the box.

Thank you Amy, I really appreciate your comments, I really put a lot of work on the battle system, and while it's not perfect (it has some minor glitches here and there due to its complexity and evented features) it runs pretty smooth. I am trying to vary the gameplay by programming side quests and minigames, such as the archery one (I am working on a car race one now).
I wish I had a better tool to record videos from my laptop :)

P.S= If you ever want to beta test let me know :)

that car racing video.. :O lol .. way it moves reminds me of F-Zero for the Snes/Sfc.. will you be releasing the script for that racing? looks like it'd be a lot of fun to work some stuff with.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.