Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Hawke's Tale

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Arcanum-edge/HawkesTale1.png[/IMG]

“I thought I knew this world better than most, being a well traveled scientist of the highest regard.
It turns out, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

It all started on my expedition to the deepest reaches of the Congo, when we came across traces of plant life with bizarre mutations. Something at the core of me was telling me to turn back, but I ignored it in the name of science, and our expedition pressed on. My closest childhood friend, Isaac, had come along on the expedition, and when we had pressed on for another few miles, he noted that the trees were thinning in a way uncharacteristic of the jungle. According to our GPS, we were far from any civilization, so there was no explanation for the thinning of the trees. But then, we noticed that a large fissure was running parallel to our path. We followed it to a massive cleft in the ground, and gazed across its depths. I wondered how such a massive feature in the landscape had gone unnoticed for so long. I turned to congratulate Isaac and the other researchers on our discovery, but when I turned, a horrible sight met my eyes. Isaac had disappeared, and my companions lay dead behind me, with horrible disfigurations upon their bodies. I backed away in fear from the atrocities that lay before me, but in my horror, I neglected to watch my step. Before I knew what had happened, the great abyss yawned below me, and I felt a great rush of air as I fell.

One would believe that the one misstep I took would have been the end of my horrors for good.

How wrong anyone would be to assume such a thing.â€ÂÂ

No Gaia?

Nice concept ;) very mysterious, but I think you and Big Billy are so funny, because you both use the sterotypical Caucasian who seems to put themselves in danger where they could have avoided it.

Anyway, your character design looks awesome. The walking motion of that sprite is so smooth going.

The title screen doesn't mesh well.

Danny

Sponsor

The story is a very interesting one and the way you've managed to set it in our present day, but still have the un-earthly world touch to it which seems to be expressed through the Cleft is very good.

You put your art talents to good work and have made good use of the VEX template. It's great to see another game with an original design in the grpahics department and I'll be watching the develpement of this for sure.

@J-street(I'm not quite used to your whole Mr. 9mm thing yet) - Thanks about the character design. :) But what about the title screen doesn't mesh? Is it the semi-realistic background underneath a computer colored drawing?

@Hydrolic - I absolutely love mixing the present day with fantastic settings. It gives a sort of "what if this happened to you tomorrow?" feel to things. Glad you'll be watching this.

I think this looks great, especially if you're going with original graphics like this.

My only gripe is that ugly jagged font. It's hard to read when it's smaller.

Good luck!

Danny

Sponsor

Looking at those blue rocks, you've shaded them very well and made good use of dithering, it creates a good 3D effect.

That's what I was aiming for. :) I'm still trying to figure out what else to add to that tileset though. It's tough designing a dungeon from scratch...

On another note:
I guess if I want this moved to the main forum I should just report it? I haven't really been around here since .net went down and am not quite up with the program about that yet. If I need to add more screenshots, I can take a few more if need be.

Danny

Sponsor

I'd say it meets topic requirments and should be moved so yeah report it, the rules havn't changed too much.

Lovin' the originality here. Is it just me or are more and more promising games beginning to pop out of the woodwork? *smacks the 100 noob games into the ground* Anyways please keep it up, I'd love to see a finished project!

Rain

Sponsor

Johnny da Slasha said:
Lovin' the originality here. Is it just me or are more and more promising games beginning to pop out of the woodwork? *smacks the 100 noob games into the ground* Anyways please keep it up, I'd love to see a finished project!

It's just a natural Progression as people get more used to the program (and a good thing at that :D)

It looks like the main character is laughing in his battler or is it just me? lol

Johnny da Slasha said:
Hey, you said that about Rye's project too. Haha, thanks though. I will surely keep working.
psgels said:
*moved*

So far, it looks great. What happened to your previous game, (Gaia Resurrection) by the way?
A while back, I decided that there were too many similarities to an existing video game (Terranigma) in Gaia Resurrection, and that I wanted to tackle something smaller plotwise and lengthwise. Also, it was a fairly old idea, and had quite a few plot holes. A couple other factors went into me ditching the project too. Though I'm quite a bit more determined to stick with this one. I think this holds much more room for character development too, and since I'm only using two human characters in total, it'll be much easier to flesh their personalities out.

Neat. A lot of people here seem to be saying "screw it, Im just going to do something short enough that I KNOW I can finish it". Its a good attitude to have, after all these are free amature games. They dont need to be epic, and in fact many people would preffer something short and sweet and FINISHED over an ambitious 5 year "50 hour" monster.

This just about explains the lack of updates.

I officially get back tomorrow, but I just managed to get a hold of a computer today. Updates'll probably start coming again as soon as I can open up my scanner and scan all the planning I've drawn while in Hawaii. I've planned out the dungeons a little bit, and have done concept art for the characters, so tomorrow or the day after, there'll be plenty to feast your eyes on.

Wow Arcanum, that "Embodiment" is excellent! They're cute, I want one ^^
The chest is good, but is the lid sliding back into the chest in a kind of curving shape, or is it opening upwards? Because if it's opening upwards - the edges that show when it is closed should still stick out a little as it is opening. It looks like they kinda cut off. Anyway, good to see you working on something again, can't beleive I missed this topic before. Keep it up :>

This looks like a pretty sweet game! The story is very interesting and unique and the idea of the embodiments is really cool. The Hawke battler is also very good, I really like your art!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.