Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

GTBS v1.5.1.4 - A FFT Styled Battle System (5/19/2010)

Dude, I'm not sure about you, but the mouse script is really effing with the game. I mean, right between dialogues and movements, if I press somewhere on the map, it could cause the aluxes player to move there, and pause the process of the eventing. I mean, on the second map, the battle map, I moved aluxes all the way to the enemies.
It also makes the controls a bit hard sometimes, because suddenly the cursor would blink on no sometimes when i meant yes. Also, I didn't even realize that there was a mouse script until I couldn't change the character's wait direction without the mouse- making it completely dependent on the mouse sorta kills the point of having keyboard controls in the first place, and vice versa.

I can't comment too much on the actual beta- sorry, but I don't have the time... The mouse thing is the only thing I can comment. I know that it's probably not embedded into the gtbs, but whatever.

Well, as someone who IS playing with the new beta, let me tell you I love it. It fixed an error that I was having in 1.5 with the Multi-Slot system.

...Of course, it also has a few issues too. The first is something that happened both in your demo and in my test map whenever... well, anyone tried to attack anything. I'll let you see.

error1.png

Then there's this when I try to go to the Iso + Battle Test, then go to the Battle Test and do a battle there(This is what happens when I try to move).

error2.png

It looks kinda cool, but 'looks cool' and 'actually is viable' are two different things. Possibly worth noting is this:

error3.png

The semi-transparent(If screwed up) movement range disappears once I move the cursor outside that range and doesn't reappear when I move back into range.

Well, those are my bug reports so far.

Oh, and on the smaller scale, using the Enhanced Equipment system by Charlie Lee, enhanced weapons and armor can't alter movement ranges.

EDIT: Actually, enhanced armor can alter movement. Enhanced weapons can't though. Weird.

EDIT2: My mistake. Enhanced armors don't work either. It's also worth noting I'm using both Enhanced Equipment AND Multi-Slot, but I don't think that's affecting anything.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

daxis,
Yes, I am aware that the mouse script has its own issues. I dont really feel like re-writing the mouse script, but I will see if I can make some bug improvements to it to resolve the issue. And yes, I completely agree in regards to the wait dir thing. It is quite annoying. I have plans to fix it, but I am not sure immediately how to do so.

azu,
First error, yes, I know of this and it will be fixed in the next version.
As for the iso tiles being used in normal combat, that is because the file "(Color)_range.png" exist in the GTBS folder. This was my fault in the b3 demo. Just delete the non ISO range files in the pictures/gtbs folder to resolve it. Or you can change them to be animated etc. Your choice.
Can you provide me a link to the Enhanced Equipment script so that I can possibly resolve that issue?

Okay this isn't a request. Just a question. You're an experienced scripter. How long would you think it would take to remove the SDK? Would it be worth it? I was planning on doing it for practice and script compatibility issues I've been having with the SDK itself.

I have absolutely no requirement to the SDK, I just have it in the demo to show that it is compatible if you need to use it for other scripts. As part of that, where to place it to ensure that it doesnt cause issues with my stuff.

I am looking into the Enh Equipment thing.

Gubid":211uh23s said:
I have absolutely no requirement to the SDK, I just have it in the demo to show that it is compatible if you need to use it for other scripts. As part of that, where to place it to ensure that it doesnt cause issues with my stuff.

I am looking into the Enh Equipment thing.

Ah Thank you. I had no idea it didn't require it. Might want to include that in the post. Thanks for letting me know :)

OK, new demo for you all. This is final candidate!

... downloads updated

I also included a patch (in the XP demo) for that mini map script by squall .

If you have any issues with the new demo, please let me know immediately!

I have fixed the Enhanced Equipment stuff and added some new features for equipment affecting skill ranges. This allows you to give them special equip that will enhance their ability to cast skills via range, reduced min range, and field. Couple other new features, but they are pretty small. See the demo for information on them.

Ran headfirst into this:

error4.png

When I loaded up the first battle.

And may I suggest when making equipment that can modify skill ranges to make a true/false for skill ranges being modifyable/unmodifyable? That way spell type skills will be effected while skills designated to be weapon skills or self-effect skills have their ranges unmodified.

Hmm, I even retested to make sure it wasnt a problem. Oh well, here is a new demo that should resolve the issue. For me it occurs randomly, no everytime.

...downloads updated

Sorry that I missed it.

Alright, no more Insta-Crash superbugs. I'm testing other things and seeing if/how they work now.

EDIT: Multiple attacks from Guillaume777's Multi-Slot script don't seem to be working. I don't know why as you have a patch which seems designed to make it work, but that's my observation.

Sabao

Sponsor

NINJA.

Hey, just dropping by to say excellent work on the latest version of your GTBS on both platforms. Mousie's finally working perfectly on XP and I love the ring menu on VX, fits the very compact graphics perfectly!

Quick question, by the time the final build is out will both VX and XP versions carry the same features?

Just FYI, in case you didn't notice this paragraph, Gubid. :)
Notes for scripters that want to create patches.

This script creates new weapons in the database, with new IDs of course. I use this technique because every enhanced weapon needs to be unique in order to store different sets of attached enhancements.
Since elements are copied during the duplication process, all the scripts that use element-tagging should work fine.
On the other hand, all the scripts that use a configuration with weapons' IDs written in some arrays cannot work properly without a patch. However the patch is usually simple. Infact, all the enhanced weapons contain a value "ref_id" that is the ID of the database weapon from which the enhanced weapon was generated. When the script checks if the ID of a weapon is included in some array, it needs to check if the weapon is an Enhanced Weapon (by using is_a? for example) and if this is the case, it must verify if ref_id (and not id) is included in that array.

If you need a patch you'd better ask to the author of the script to be patched, because he(she) knows where to insert the changes needed better than me.

His error is coming from something else. In particular its in the ai for the movement decision for an enemy or neutral char. I would question what skills etc are setup for the char/enemy? That is all that I can think would trigger the error.

Also, thanks Charlie, I got it fixed already. I had partial integration already, just didn't have it for armors.

Sabao, yes both XP and VX have the same feature base and match code EXACTLY! This makes supporting it way easier. Although it is still nice to have you guys report what version you are using so that I can ensure I do the appropriate testing to ensure it is fully corrected.

Az, I haven't had time to check into the multislot script not working. I will let you know when I have had a chance to review it.

I'm using 1.5.1.4. I made a new map, added 3 enemy events named enemy1, enemy2, enemy3, and enemy4. Did the same with actor events. Then placed a normal event on the map that initiated a battle with 2 ghosts. Right as the battle started it crashed.

EDIT: I havent configured anything. I downloaded the new one and just did the above.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.