Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Gosu basics

Sorry this tutorial is quite basic, see here for a better one: http://code.google.com/p/gosu/wiki/RubyTutorial

Gosu has the following useful classes:

Window
Font
Song
Sample

Window

The window is basically where the game is played. Kinda like what game.exe makes in RMXP.

You create it like so:

Code:
require 'gosu'

class GWindow < Gosu::Window

def initialize

super(width, height, fullscreen?)

self.caption = "caption"

end

def update

# update method

end

end

$window = GWindow.new

$window.show

To draw an image you use the following:

@image = Gosu::Image.new($window, "imagename", hardborders?)
@image.draw(x, y, z)

Font

Text is drawn just like an image.

@text = Gosu::Font.new($window, "text", height)
@text.draw(x, y, z)

Sound

There are two types of sound:

Song: imagine this as a BGM from RMXP.
Sample: imagine as a SE from RMXP.

@short = Gosu::Sample.new($window, "samplename")
@short.play

@long = Gosu::Song.new($window, "songname")
@long.play

mawk

Sponsor

what sound formats can Gosu play natively? is it limited to wav and mp3, or can it process ogg and/or module files (xm, mod) as well?

depends in what OS are you running it.
In Windows uses FMOD, in Mac uses OpenAL and in Linux uses SDL_mixer

so check the supported format for your library.

You can check this screenshot taken from Gosu team's website.

http://code.google.com/p/gosu/wiki/SupportedAudioFormats

gosuaudioformatos.png

Ah, totally missed this... I guess I didn't really count on anyone being interested in Gosu anymore at all :p

For examples what's being made, you can check out the Showcase Forums on libgosu.org (official site). Don't expect graphical overflow (as I said in my indie community thread, no other community is picky about graphics before mechanics as RM folks are, and therefore, most of the stuff there is selfmade), but do expect interesting concepts on a every-third-thread-the-least basis.

Hello. Gosu can play .ogg. It's significantly less limited than RMXP/VX in what sound formats it can play. HOWEVER! MIDI is not generally supported. IIRC, it's coming in Win/Linux but not for Mac yet unless someone patches in an interface to Core Audio. Also, Windows uses Audiere now instead of FMOD.

I've been working on an interface from RMXP games to the Gosu engine, preserving the RMXP interface. This could also be used for RMVX; the main thing I'm probably never going to code myself is a rewrite of the Tilemap class (all I would need is a good description though, especially how autotiles work), although sprite wave effects are a close second. Right now I'm waiting for better MIDI support. A bug in Gosu that had affected RTP resources has been fixed, and a new Image#insert method looks promising for trying out ImageMagick instead of Texplay to make text rendering and certain other effects much faster.

Sorry if this is a necro, but I was wondering what everyone thinks of Gosu performance?
i.e. Can Ruby be used for serious (2D) game development?
Also, how much of a difference does it make that the rendering is written in C++?

Ruby 1.9.x, especially 1.9.3 is perfectly fine for serious game development.
keeping the rendering part in C++ removes the overhead from the ruby internal operations, and thats a lot since it gets called almost everytime.

Gosu performs especially well on handling images, so if you have a graphics-exhaustive game, you might've found a mate here.
Also, note that there is not only a Ruby-based, but also a C(++)-based version of Gosu that is obviously still better in terms of performance.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.