Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Game Maker? Or should I just learn a language, and start from scratch?

Alright, been trying for a long time to get info on how to make a two player (online) RPG. RMXP has appeared to be difficult as all hell to get going online, but Game Maker has online built in. GM though, I dunno if it is even capable of making a decent 2player rpg.

So anyone know much about GM? Or should I just take up C++/VB. I have NO CLUE about programming, but if it's gunna be what I need, I'll go learn it. Maybe some day I'll free up a block in my college schedule and take a class too.

So what do you recommend? GM, VB, or C++. And why should I use that one? [And point me in a direction to learn how to connect 2ppl (with me as server-easier I think), and how to learn to make games via VB/C++, if that's your choice]

(A little info- FF is the way to go. I'd like to make a game similar to FF Tactics.) (And yes, I've made other topics in many places, and no, none of them have seen a single response. So, I give up. Guess I may just have to start from scratch, and spend a few years on it.)

It really depends what you want out of a two player RPG (I assume your making it for you and a friend to play?)
Game maker would be a good start, giving you the engine and a (relatively) simple method of game creation, however, VB and C++ would undoubtedly give you more control over what exactly goes into the game, but at a cost, you cant just sit down to a language like VB or C++ and decide, "I want to make a game" (believe me, Ive tried :D) It takes a lot of time and effort.

So, if this is a hobby based idea, go with game maker, if you play around with that and after a while find it doesnt meet your needs, learn a language, (Out of the two, VB is easier in my opinion)

I hope I helped.

SDL + VB.net or C#.net.
Managed DirectX + C#

There you go.. now is just starting to learn, If you don't know any Programing, don't start with C++ it will surely confuse you, belive me i know ho wto program in Ruby C# VB and a bit of C, and it still confuses me. Well but SDl is the way to go if you want a 2d game, search for SDL.NEt it will surely prove to be the easiest choice, also don't start with online, make the engine first then start and make it online, otherwise you will quit, for instance I have redone my engine about 7 times in a 3 month Timeframe.

Good Luck!

Mystic Warrior;318134 said:
Alright, been trying for a long time to get info on how to make a two player (online) RPG. RMXP has appeared to be difficult as all hell to get going online, but Game Maker has online built in. GM though, I dunno if it is even capable of making a decent 2player rpg.

So anyone know much about GM? Or should I just take up C++/VB. I have NO CLUE about programming, but if it's gunna be what I need, I'll go learn it. Maybe some day I'll free up a block in my college schedule and take a class too.

So what do you recommend? GM, VB, or C++. And why should I use that one? [And point me in a direction to learn how to connect 2ppl (with me as server-easier I think), and how to learn to make games via VB/C++, if that's your choice]

(A little info- FF is the way to go. I'd like to make a game similar to FF Tactics.) (And yes, I've made other topics in many places, and no, none of them have seen a single response. So, I give up. Guess I may just have to start from scratch, and spend a few years on it.)

Since you have no prior programming experience, I suggest that you start off with GameMaker, which does have some internet capabiltiies in that it uses DirectPlay. Start off small, and make simple games, and as your proficiency with GM increases, then you can begin trying to make an online Game.

Programming and making games is very difficult and laborious for everyone. You can easily get frustrated, and give up. So it's important to realistically assess your current capabilities and take it from there, small step at a time.

Good luck!

I wanna thank everyone for their replies. I'll definetly have to take a look into VB(.net) and SDL in the future. I recently got lucky and found somethign called ECLIPSE, which SEEMS to have a simple network setup, with plenty of support spelled out. Simple enough that it has a client and server folder, and just needs your IP adress (as far as I can see). I'm gunna take a look at that, because a short cut would probably be better for a hobby than learning a language, at least until I'm more used to things, and know I want to sit for ever and get serious about one hell of a game. So anyone know about THAT one, as apposed to GM? (I also know GM costs, but Eclipse is free.)

So, for a side hobby, are there any learning resources available for VB.net and SDL, etc? And are there free programs that use them? ...or however you ask that question I'm trying to ask :p. I've always found that tutorials (especially videos) can really hasten progress, and get you on the fast track out of noob-ville. Again, thanks alot.

Game Maker is free, at least it was.
There is a paid version with more features, but since you are a hobbyst you shouldn't realy need that kind of features.

Good Luck none the less, choose the thing you are more confortable with.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.