Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Game Compression

This tutorial will explain how to compress your RPG Maker XP or RPG Maker VX game and create an encrypted archive. I'll be explaining the way in which you can do so while creating the smallest file size possible and allowing anyone (not just someone with the program) to play your game.

Customizing the RTP
The first thing you have to do is "customize" the RTP that your game will use. This is done in the Resource Manager, but you first need to know what RTP you're using. This includes any graphics - characters, battlers, tilesets, windowskins, etc. - and music that isn't already custom. You may wish to customize all of the RTP for convenience, and although that's an option, it would make your game folder larger, which means it would take longer to upload and download. Plus, it takes a while to customize a large amount of items.

Now, go into the Resource Manager. Find each file you need and, for each of them, click the "Extract" button on the right. When you're prompted to choose a location, put it in its original folder. For example, if you're using "Project1/Audio/BGM/001-Battle01", you'd place it in "Project1/Audio/BGM". What this does is classify the files as custom. If you go into a different directory and return, the file you extracted should now have an orange circle instead of a blue one.

Alternatively, if you're using RPG Maker VX, you could check the "Include RTP" box when you compress the game. However, this includes all the RTP, not just what you need.

Creating an Encrypted Archive
This is something extra you need to do if you want to create an encrypted archive. Inside the editor, go into File > Compress Game Data... , check the "Create Encrypted Archive" box, and save the file somewhere easy to find (I recommend your desktop). Now, find the *.exe file and extract it (be aware that you can't extract it in the same place that the original game folder was, so I suggest sticking with the desktop). This seems completely counter-productive, but you'll now notice that your archive is encrypted, not open for editing.

Including the RGSS Library
Without the RGSS library, the game can't run. You'd normally need the full RTP (in VX) to include these files, but you can find the files on your computer, as well (if you have the legal version). For XP, do a computer search for RGSS102E.dll. For VX, search for RGSS202E.dll. Copy the file and paste it into your game folder (if you've encrypted the database, put it in that folder).

Configuring And Zipping it Up
There's one more thing you have to do to the game folder before you compress it. Go into the Configuration Settings file located in the project folder. If you're using RPG Maker XP, delete "Standard" next to RTP1= so it'll just be "RTP1=" on that line. If you're using RPG Maker VX, delete "RPGVX" next to RTP= so it'll just be "RTP=" on that line. That's all you have to do with the configuration settings.

The most common form of compression using this method is the *.zip file. Alternatively, you could use a *.rar file using WinRAR, but I've found that not everyone has WinRAR, which is required to extract files from a *.rar file. To make either file, right click in an empty space in any directory (desktop, a folder, etc.) and go down to New > Compressed/Zipped File. Name the compressed file. Now, drag and drop the game folder (with the RGSS library) into the zipped file. Your computer should compress the data automatically. You've now made a game that can work whether or not the user has the RTP! Now, just upload it to a file hosting site and give people the link so they can download it.

Holly":3ql07wef said:
plis i new plis halp

[fileulpoadplease]C:\Documents and Settings\Holly\My Documents\RMXP\Sith_Lord_Guardians\Project29.exe[/fileulpoadplease]

I have seen this before

oh, and, um, yes, good tut, Guardian! :thumb:

Aerif

You should probably also include the DLL (RGSS102e.dll for RMXP) file since not everybody who wants to play a RPG Maker game will have the program (I experianced this when doing beta testing with people who didn't have RMXP).

Also there is a limit on how RMXP can compress a file (128Mb) so if you have a stupid amount of MP3s your game won't encrypt right.

Aerif":3rz0lluv said:
You should probably also include the DLL (RGSS102e.dll for RMXP) file since not everybody who wants to play a RPG Maker game will have the program (I experianced this when doing beta testing with people who didn't have RMXP).
I originally thought the scripts were encrypted whether you included the RTP or not.  Apparently, I was wrong.  I haven't had a computer without the programs until recently, when I had to clear my desktop computer after getting a virus.  Anyway, I'll need to work on finding a solution for this.

Twin Matrix":3rz0lluv said:
Wait..You can delete the Audio folder? Since when? I thought that didn't get encrypted.
Like I said, I haven't been able to test this until recently, so I'm not entirely sure.  I'll have to take some time to work with stuff and I'll get back to you.

I was hoping that any problems with this method would have been pointed out earlier because I don't have the time to work on it tonight.  I'll get to it tomorrow, though.  I have to see if I can find a way to include the RGSS without including all the other RTP and then I'll check whether or not the Audio folder gets encrypted.

:| @ Arbiter, Wyatt, Holly, and Lumi.  You didn't spot the problems?  I'm not perfect, y'know, so I need people to look over stuff like this for errors.

Aerif

Actually, all you have to do to include the DLL is too put a copy of it in the game directory before encrypting. The thing is it won't be encrypted and people will be able to see it, though that's probably better than telling them to download the DLL  :blush:

Wyatt, I know that you were doubtful with the 128Mb limit, but that's the size that came back to me when I just filled the audio file with 100 MP3s (or thereabouts). I also think it's been mentioned in a topic here before.

It wasn't working for me when I tried putting the DLL file in the game folder.  Regardless, I'm going to change the tutorial to the basic method - including the RTP with the file.  It's easier and it actually works. ^_^;

I'll probably still play around with it a little, but for the purpose of this tutorial, it's a bad idea to be giving people false information.  Thanks, everyone, for helping me.

There's just one more thing I need from you.  Is there a way to include the RTP data with an RMXP game?  I didn't work with XP very long before I moved to VX, so I'm not sure if there's an easier way than making the person download the RTP.

That's simple, just import the graphics as if they were custom made, then go into the game settings file and delete the bit that says "STANDARD"

So that t just says

RTP1 = ""
RTP2 = ""
RTP3 = ""

Or something to that extent.

Then include the .dll in the game folder.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.