Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [Full]Sacred Earth: Bonds

Dead content awaiting restoration.
This game is so much fun and hard enough on normal mode too, reminds me of playing Summon Night only in a semi-turn-based setting.  :grin:

I did find a minor glitch in the menu though:
In the upgrade screen you can press down and it will cycle though between the weapon and the armor but if you press up (lets say 2 times) then you have to press down 3 times to get the cursor to move down instead of it cycling down to the armor. (I'm not sure how much sense that made but I hope you can understand it.) Other than that and the lack of a go-all-the-way-back-to-the-main-title-menu-selection-if-you-don't-want-to-start-a-new-game option, I'm loving playing this game  :thumb:

oneintwo":1phymybm said:
This game is so much fun and hard enough on normal mode too, reminds me of playing Summon Night only in a semi-turn-based setting.  :grin:

Heh, well I suppose that with the graphics style, it does seem like that.

I did find a minor glitch in the menu though:
In the upgrade screen you can press down and it will cycle though between the weapon and the armor but if you press up (lets say 2 times) then you have to press down 3 times to get the cursor to move down instead of it cycling down to the armor. (I'm not sure how much sense that made but I hope you can understand it.)

Yes, I managed to catch this one. It's being addressed. Thanks.

Other than that and the lack of a go-all-the-way-back-to-the-main-title-menu-selection-if-you-don't-want-to-start-a-new-game option, I'm loving playing this game  :thumb:

Yep, the new menu will have this option.

Blaredose":1phymybm said:
Sorry for this off topic thing, but.. are they supposed to look so alike?

That's the nature of the style. Sorry if you can't look past it. nonetheless that's not changing any.

Some menu progress. The menu no longer has leading zeros, the transitions are fixed, and the layout is much cleaner. Hopefully this takes care of the last real issue the game has.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... /MLG85.png[/img]

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... /MLG86.png[/img]

The game looks beautiful on paper and screenshot, but doesn't do so well in the actual playing.

The system concepts and gameplay would be above average compared to a lot of other RM2K3 games, but are stunted by the fact that they were poorly coded. I've counted a fair number of bugs in the CMS so far and the maps aren't so good either. There is one glaring bug at the beginning of the game, just after the intro and that is the Encounter bar disappears after accessing the menu. Also, accessing the menu royally screws up the tinting of the maps. The transition between maps and menus is choppy and poor and the values shown on the menu often do not correspond with those in battle. Also, after Gunnar's explanation of the elements, the message box failed to revert to regular format when I examined the locked door.

Battles in this game seem to be slightly unsynchronised for some reason, if that were possible - I can sometimes hear the sound clip for initiating Ether attacks sound twice when playing. If you were going to do a release of this, you should at least have released it as a Beta instead as a full, because that is how many bugs there are in this game.

This game may have plenty of potential to be great, but it will require a good deal more streamlining before it reaches that point because as of now, it is 80% eyecandy and only 20% substance.

Let us hope that Sacred Earth: Bonds Ver. 2 will balance those figures, maximize this potential and acheive what Ver. 1 failed to become.

List of bugs so far:
-CMS screws the map tinting.
-CMS LF/EP values messed up to heck.
-CMS makes the Encounter Bar frame vanish. The actual bar keeps going.
-The Encounter Bar appears just after the intro. It doesn't start moving until you go into floor one.
-Double transition when accessing CMS.
-CMS is actually randomly accessible on puzzle floors. Seems to depends on the entrance taken. Appears more often when backtracking.
-Finish Burst usable when gauge is not full - Veili's is anyway. Occured after depleting guage on prior battle.
-"I can't focus..." message AFTER using Finish Burst - twice.
-Gunnar's F. Burst did absolutely nothing when I tried it during the Gauge-Not-Full-But-Option-Available scenario.
-"Mystic Powers awaken!" randomly repeats softer after casting.
-Message box not reset after Gunnar's elements explanation until moving into another area or opening menu.
-Veilli appears to have some issues with the fire tile jumping puzzle.

This is really saying something, considering that I have only been playing for a couple of minutes. More time than that was spent trying to patch up the menu. This is also why I am hoping that Ver. 2 will provide the massive clean-up which I can see the game needs. Oh yes, one more bug.

-The "Menu-Fix Map" doesn't do squat with the menu! Well, yes it did, actually - it overwrote the temporary fixes I put in to actually make Gunnar's LF values tally with his Status and Battle ones in the main menu. Well, at least I managed to put it back in again, but that isn't the point.

To conclude, I give you points for trying and inventiveness as well as for the character graphics/art, but that's about it. I shall now take my leave and hope that the next release isn't as unimpressive as this one.

EDIT: New bug discovered.
-I love being Lazy. Because using Lazy in battle allows the characters to rush enemies with Outbursts even if their Outburst gauges aren't full.

There's something funny about the battles and the damage values, too. I can't quite put my finger on it...

There's something funny about the battles and the damage values, too. I can't quite put my finger on it...
Well, Outburst tend to be stronger than normal attacks, but after I've stacked a couple of stat ups, normal attacks start to outdamage outbursts. Then there's Patchoulli who has, among other things, two spells called Testament and Judgment respectively. Testament is more expensive, but I have yet to encounter any situation where Judgment doesn't outdamage Testament by far.

What you may have reacted to though is that resistances decreases when you're hit by a respective element. If anything gets hit by a fire attack, then subsequent fire attacks will do more damage.

Skie, a pretty annoying bug, on the floor where:

you fight the boss in the library

It's very easy for the boxes to move incorrectly and get suck the wrong side of them when going to get the chests... I think they contained elixirs.  Thus I had to close the game and I stupidly had bypassed the last few save points so I'm giving up there for a while.

I really like the look of what you have, I'm hoping the use of tools become a bit more complex later on but they are fun to use none the less.  At times I feel the dialog is off a bit but then I SUCK at that so I can't really say much about that.  I really like your dungeon designs though and the battle system is wonderful, if a little unforgiving at times.

Not sure about not being able to use healing items on the filed, at one point after the first boss I had one dead character and one with low hp at the end of the fight, so when I was getting into fights I was just getting wiped out before I could even act.  Took 5 times for me to be able to advance.

I don't want this to become too negative though cause I really rather enjoyed it, the amount of details in the battles were of sheer excellence.  Very polished overall too.

What you may have reacted to though is that resistances decreases when you're hit by a respective element. If anything gets hit by a fire attack, then subsequent fire attacks will do more damage.

That could possibly have been it. Getting hit by an 80 damage attack once, then taking 300 damage from the same attack a second time tends to leave the player a little confused. Using a Protection/Shield Ether and taking 80 damage again the third time doesn't help too much in solving the problem either (though it did help me from getting killed by Flann yet again).

New bugs discovered.
-Veilli's dying animation kept repeating when she got killed and it Game Overed.
-On Floor 8, there's something really messed up about the room to the Right of the main Ice Slider puzzle, at least in my game. Whenever I press the down key there, the screen flickers and produces a double image for about half a second (if nobody else has this problem, it might just be the computer I'm using).

*tosses Diedrupo off a cliff*

Back to Breen with you!

Seriously though. I'm just about finished with this game. Going back in and adding new stuff honestly feels like a waste to me after a while. I'll get the voiced version out eventually, but menus and writing are staying the same. legitimate gameplay bugs will be addressed.

So this game is what it is now. I'm going to work much harder on my next project using the critiques I got and make sure this doesn't happen again...at least to this degree. That's all, thanks to those who played so far, heh.

New menu is scrapped? Pity. From the screenshots, it actually looks a lot better than the old one - something to do with a lot less empty space in it. And the background doesn't looks as depressing as the other one either (or maybe it's just the music). Plus, it would probably give some sort of reassurance to those who had played it (namely me) that the bugs were gone... but then, looking at the screenshots, I wouldn't really have expected that the current menu could be this unfriendly either.

New Bugs:
-There are two very nasty tiles in the Floor Ten left area jumping tiles puzzle which FREEZE the game when activated. Well, not exactly true. What they do is put the hero sprite in limbo because they try to make Veili jump onto the water. Which she can't, because it's too deep to swim through and she'll get pneumonia. But guess what? The encounter bar continues. Lovely - enemy encounters till the end of time (or until you face the inevitable and quit the game, anyway). These two tiles appear on the only platforms with four event tiles.
-There's something funny with the Zuleika/Balcruade battle and I'm not saying that because I had to max out all my stats with Awakening, spend my stockpile of Angel Feathers AND shoot Balcruade with about 50 ethers spells before he finally kicked the bucket. No, it's actually with Zuleika. For some reason, every time Balcruade revives Zuleika, she drops dead on her next turn or when she tries to attack. I think this is something to do with that fact that Smelling Salts mightn't give Zuleika quite enough liveliness to stay above 30% LF.
-Not exactly a bug, per se, but I just realized that I've never actually seen any of the characters' MAXIMUM LF in this game.   
-The next degree in the Menu LF values screw-up - the thousands value doesn't computer properly, even for Veili (who at least had proper LF values below 100).

Well, at least one thing which I can see as particularly interesting is how the voice clips were fitted into the battles. Commendations on how you made the random voice clip play at the beginning of each enemy encounter, that was a fairly intuitive concept (and one which I fortunately haven't seen any glitching in as of yet). This is also the first time I've seen Battle Animations used for the character poses instead of a spriteset. It might not be the first game to ever do it, but it doesn't seem too common anyway.

That's all, thanks to those who played so far, heh.

You're welcome.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.