Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

FFVIII SeeD money system - Help!

Chouru

I'm not quite sure exactly where this should go (not sure if it can be done with scripting or without) and I've searched for this type of thing, and could only find someone suggesting it be done. Basically I want to create a system like FFVIII to get money.

For those of you who haven't played the game, basically you are part of an elite group called "SeeD" (forgot the meaning) and if you are on task doing the things you're supposed to (in the storyline) then your "SeeD level" will go up. You can also take a "SeeD exam" (with various questions about the game and gameplay) to raise it. The point of this is every so often (Hour?) depending on your level, you will get money. Monster's don't drop money, so the only way to get a lot of money is to raise your SeeD level (or sell items; not very profitable).

I'm looking for a way to implement this system, where every 20 or 30 minutes (suggest a better time?) the player is awarded with a sum of money depending on a specific level (separate from the character's level) defined by the actions and choices of the player. Also, something on the menu should tell the player what that level is.

I'm guessing that the level can be defined by variables, but the menu and the "every so often" things are what I am needing help with. Is there anyone who can at least point me in the right direction? I'd appreciate the help.

If this is in the wrong place, please let me know so it won't happen again

Thank you both for the nice words. :scruff:

My motivations are not entirely pure. I'm learning this stuff as I'm helping.

I do plan to submit several of the scripts I've been working on. I need to clean them up, and whip up some much better instructions. (to reduce the number of support questions.)
I have about 80 projects in "My Documents\RMXP", and I have to sort through them.

And, quite honestly, I have a bit of an attitude regarding systems that are 'borrowed' from commercial games. I'd much rather see RMXP be used as a tool to encourage / enable creativity. But... hey, if it keeps you off the streets and exercises your brain, it can't be all bad!

Be Well

Chouru

Well, I'm only borrowing the system of making money, I'm going to create an otherwise completely original game. I just liked the idea of a different type of system to get money. I think that it is really boring to have to fight monsters to get money. Which reminds me...

How do I make it so that when a monster is killed, the exp goes up by 1? Do I call the script after each battle?

In your Battle Processing command, set "Continue even when loser"
Then you will get basically a Choice or Conditional Branch type of format....

@>Battle Processing: Ghost*2
  :  If Win
    @>Control Variables: [0001: Seed EXP] += 1
  :  If Lose
    @>Game Over
    @>
  :  Branch End
@>

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.