Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Falling Platforms that fall after move

Let's see... page 1 would be a Player Touch event that would activate page 2.  Page 2... hm.  Without a script, you might need to have the event compare the player's map coordinates to the event's, parallel process, and then go to page 3 when they're different?

Or... could you have page 1, player touch, activate pages 2 and 3.  Page 2 has the platform fall, but page 3 is player touch, so while the player touches the event, Page 2 won't activate.

I need to try this and see if it would work.

I know the answer!!! YAY ME! VERY SIMPLE TOO
Ok the platform that falls must have a player touch turned on, then in the event code have it turn on a switch called fall.
Then make another event next to the falling platform that needs player touch on and also needs switch fall on to activate.
Then in the event box have turn on switch platform fall. Then on the falling platform make a 2nd page that can only be activated when switch falling platform is on. Help at all? Heres some pics.
see the red and blue squares? Read on!
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... 7/poop.jpg[/img]
The red events should look like this!
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... niefds.jpg[/img]
The blue event should look like this
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... reenei.jpg[/img]
The 2nd page should look like this
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... craone.jpg[/img]

There ya go! Hoped I helped! :lol:

I think you can use Terrain tags for this. Make a paralell process. In this process, set a variable (Control Variables) to:

Character: [Player] [Terrain Tag]

For the tiles you want this to occur on, set the terrain tag to any number above 0 that suits you (done in the Tileset tab). Now go back into your processing event. Make a conditional branch:

Conditional Branch: Variable [0001: Tag] == X
  @>: Whatever here
End

Change X into whatever terrain tag number you used.

Not sure if this should work, but as far as I can tell it should be a very suitable method for this.

EDIT: Basically, as an addition, you want all tiles to be independent. So this wouldn't work too well with the limit of tags. My bad.

Cheers.

on the player touch event, check if the player presses down, up, right, or left, if so, wait 10 frames (or whatever seems best) and then have your falling actions. 

I hope that makes sense.

Wouldn't that require the platforms to all be parallel process and require constant checking of player position? Having all those parallel process event executing checks every few frames would probably cause extreme lag.

THIS DOES WORK, READ IT

Have a parrelel process event that sets two variables to your player's X and Y coordinates, have when a player walks ON the tile the tile then switches page and the second page has a conditional branch where if the two varaibles of the player's X and Y do not match the coordinates of where the tile is the page switches to a 3rd page where the tile has fallen down.

I've done this before, that's how I did it.

The page two of the event has player touch as well. Only the first page is going to run. You have to put Parallel Process on page two in the tile event, otherwise it will not check for this position unless the player is on that tile (or touches it if it's not passable).

Cheers.

regi

Sponsor

The third page that calls the Common Event also needs to be Parallel, or Autorun. Or an alternative method is to put the "Call Common Event" in the Conditional Branch on the 2nd page, and keep the 3rd on Action Button.

You may also want to add some "Wait frames" after each Parallel Conditional Branch, this will reduce lag slightly.

I don't see why the third page needs to be parallel. The fall event is supposed to be execute if the player steps back on the event after it's "fallen". The problem right now is that i did Xilef's way, and the platforms still don't fall in 99% of the cases.

regi

Sponsor

Ahh, I see. I'd misinterpreted and thought the common event was for the platform falling, not the hero.

Now, on the 2nd page, you can try a Conditional Branch checking if a key is pressed (left, right, up, or down) and turn on self-switch B, instead of checking coordinates. I don't see why the latter method doesn't work, though.

Xaixis, might help if you show me the first page too?
EDIT: That also contains invalid scripting. I'm using RPG Maker XP here, as you would have noticed if you'd check my screenshots.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.