Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Event help!

I have a couple of events I need help with.

Okay, i have an event on square A and this event moves me to square B where an event shows some text. Now I want both events to only happen once, so when you land on square A and it brings you to square B the text comes up, but then the events stop working and never do it again, if anyone understands what i mean.

Now I have another even that tells you to run into a cave and stops you from moving past that point. Now I want it to do it but only until you go into the cave. If you come out of the cave I want it to stop and never do it again.

Now I want an event that makes a rockslide come down infront of a cave door when you enter the cave. I have no clue how to do said rockslide or anything, I need total help!

Thanks in advance, I'm useless with events but i need to learn!

Okay, I'm a little tired, but I'll help, anyway.

Switches. Switches, and pages. After all of the commands have been executed, you can turn on a switch.

If you make another page in the event, with a prerequisite, like, say, 'switch: Poo, is on', then that page of the event will only execute when the condition has been met.

If the action only affects one event(such as a treasure chest.), then a self switch can be used. If it alters events, other than itself(like having a conversation with the king.), then use a regular switch.

I don't think I need to be more specific than this, as using switches is pretty basic, so you can just use this info, and go from there. Unless, of course, I didn't explain it properly, enough.

Hope this helps.

Luminier;330478 said:
Okay, I'm a little tired, but I'll help, anyway.

Switches. Switches, and pages. After all of the commands have been executed, you can turn on a switch.

If you make another page in the event, with a prerequisite, like, say, 'switch: Poo, is on', then that page of the event will only execute when the condition has been met.

If the action only affects one event(such as a treasure chest.), then a self switch can be used. If it alters events, other than itself(like having a conversation with the king.), then use a regular switch.

I don't think I need to be more specific than this, as using switches is pretty basic, so you can just use this info, and go from there. Unless, of course, I didn't explain it properly, enough.

Hope this helps.

Okay...I don't understand switches. I'm sorry, I'm a total noob at this, but do I have to make a switch beforehand or do I just enter it in the event, if that makes sense.

khmp

Sponsor

Think of switches as a light switch. There is no other middle ground with switches, only be on or off.

Do I have to make a switch beforehand? No. The switches are created and saved without your input. Now if you mean, does a switch need to be named before you enter an event that uses said switch? No as well. The labeling is meant to be helpful feature to you but the switch still exists with or without the label.

khmp;330577 said:
Think of switches as a light switch. There is no other middle ground with switches, only be on or off.

Do I have to make a switch beforehand? No. The switches are created and saved without your input. Now if you mean, does a switch need to be named before you enter an event that uses said switch? No as well. The labeling is meant to be helpful feature to you but the switch still exists with or without the label.

Okay so I make the switch off before you go in the cave and make it so that it turns on after you enter the cave? And if it turns on then it nulls the event text and stuff?

Did I understand it right lol.

Actingman00;330981 said:
Okay so I make the switch off before you go in the cave and make it so that it turns on after you enter the cave? And if it turns on then it nulls the event text and stuff?

Did I understand it right lol.

Yep! You got it right!

Now, just testplay what you need, and see if you can apply it correctly.

Okay, I have the following:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s291/Actingman00/switch.png[/IMG]

It didn't work, I went to it and the text didn't show up nor did it move me. I need it to move me and show the text but only until I enter a cave that's on that map, I don't undertsand how to do that. Do you know any really good beginner tutorials i could use?

I double posted, sue me.

Mabey turn the switch off???

Unless its supose to not work unless you open something else, in that case, sometimes you might have a tile that your character cant move over or onto, and your character will just freeze facing that spot and nothing will work, so you might wana check the movement route.

No, no, no. You don't have it right at all.

You must set up a blank page that has the condition "Switch: Beginning: On". Then after what you have in that text, use the switch event command to turn that switch on.

In the event you have there, the move route, and message will not show unless the switch "Beginning" is on. You need to change it so there are no conditions for that event page.

What you should have it do is

Event page 1:
@>Set Move Route: Whatever you want

@>Show Text: Whatever you want

@>Control Switches :
"Beginning" is on

Then click the new event page button and on that one make the conditions be if "Beginning" is on.

This will make it so the event will set the move route and show the text and then turn on a switch.

The second page of your event is what will happen if the switch is on. In other words-Nothing.

See if that works.

-Syv

SyvarrisX;331082 said:
In the event you have there, the move route, and message will not show unless the switch "Beginning" is on. You need to change it so there are no conditions for that event page.

What you should have it do is

Event page 1:
@>Set Move Route: Whatever you want

@>Show Text: Whatever you want

@>Control Switches :
"Beginning" is on

Then click the new event page button and on that one make the conditions be if "Beginning" is on.

This will make it so the event will set the move route and show the text and then turn on a switch.

The second page of your event is what will happen if the switch is on. In other words-Nothing.

See if that works.

-Syv
Okay, I'll try it. So it starts on off and I have to turn it on? How does it know when to turn on?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.