Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Downfall of SONY

Western Sony are assholes.
Sony Japan doesn't seem to be as incompetent.
The problem is that we only have contact with Sony America/Europe.

Sony America doesn't give a shit about its handhelds, whereas it's doing fine in Japan, hence the monopoly on the weeb games. I've always preferred their consoles over Nintendo's, the problem with the Vita gen is the lack of games caused by Sony America's incompetence.

The fact that they have an MMO Monster Hunter on the Vita (the only MH on vita) that isn't translated for western audiences but is translated into other languages screams bullshit.

Vita isn't suitable for western AAA due to high specifications, graphics are what drives western game marketing, so to make a successful Vita game it needs to look good, which means high production costs, which needs to be justified by market demand - of which Vita isn't very popular.

The best course of action would be to make it popular by translating the Japanese games like Monster Hunter, build up the market so the return on AAA marketed titles justifies the high production costs.

On PS4 they solved the problem by funding the games and paying for marketing efforts. A few games on PS4 and PC only exist because Sony paid for them to exist. This would not make sense on Vita as the losses would be too much.

Xilef":22i083vf said:
Vita isn't suitable for western AAA due to high specifications, graphics are what drives western game marketing, so to make a successful Vita game it needs to look good, which means high production costs, which needs to be justified by market demand - of which Vita isn't very popular.
After the snowball started, yeah. I do feel like they could have tried at the start to prevent it from getting to that point though.

Xilef":22i083vf said:
The best course of action would be to make it popular by translating the Japanese games like Monster Hunter, build up the market so the return on AAA marketed titles justifies the high production costs.

On PS4 they solved the problem by funding the games and paying for marketing efforts. A few games on PS4 and PC only exist because Sony paid for them to exist. This would make sense on Vita as the losses would be too much.
I agree.

Thank god the hacking scene is working on a Kancolle Kai translation. At least they have my back
Kappa.png

I meant to write "This would not make sense on Vita as the losses would be too much" - when I wrote this I was feeling incredibly faint and dizzy so probably messed up something else too.
You may not agree with that!

The PSP scene was kept alive by home-brew; I actually expected the Vita to go public with an SDK to revitalise the platform. Problem there is people can easily make piracy software that load ripped game images; an Apple-style developer license could help here, with expiring certificates forcing developers to sell their software through the Vita digital store. I still think this is another option - it's something Nintendo hinted towards with their public developer program at-the-last-second with 3DS/WiiU.

Xilef":3b900l55 said:
I meant to write "This would not make sense on Vita as the losses would be too much" - when I wrote this I was feeling incredibly faint and dizzy so probably messed up something else too.
You may not agree with that!
No don't worry, I knew what you meant, otherwise you'd be contradicting your entire point.

Xilef":3b900l55 said:
The PSP scene was kept alive by home-brew; I actually expected the Vita to go public with an SDK to revitalise the platform. Problem there is people can easily make piracy software that load ripped game images; an Apple-style developer license could help here, with expiring certificates forcing developers to sell their software through the Vita digital store. I still think this is another option - it's something Nintendo hinted towards with their public developer program at-the-last-second with 3DS/WiiU.
I think they did come out with an SDK at one point, but quickly retracted it and wiped it from the internet. I found references to it around, but all info is broken up and hard to find. Also the Vita homebrew (and piracy) scene has already exploded now anyway, so at this point Sony should just cut their losses and release it.

But again, for them to do that, they would have to give a shit first.
:sad:

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Sony is gonna merged the failing movie sector with the PlayStation sector. The gaming division will fund the movie division as I forseen...

I knew it would happen if it weren't already. It's confirmed now. So yes the gaming and movie department are one...

Also:
PSVR was a disaster. Billions lost... Notice the media silence...

Jason

Awesome Bro

Hybrida":4pqa7yol said:
Sony is gonna merged the failing movie sector with the PlayStation sector. The gaming division will fund the movie division as I forseen...

I knew it would happen if it weren't already. It's confirmed now. So yes the gaming and movie department are one....

You do realise that was just a rumour, right? And that Sony have dismissed it? I thought you kept up to date on these things?

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Naww. The media run with every dumb ass Nintendo rumor, so I'm running with this one. Damn facts just like the media does with Nintendo. :box:

Going by the 900+ million lost on Sony movie flops, I say the rumor is true. It would be a logical move anyway. The PlayStation department is the only area of about 8(?) that's making huge money... Like really huge. Sony should stop with movies at this point.

I'm positive that media will down play it and damage control for SONY. They always do.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Companies lie. Don't know why you believe everything SONY says. Not really a honest company. The PS4 pro proves that.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I don't recall ever saying I believe everything they say, and I've not a clue how the PS4 Pro proves it... I chose to believe that the PS4 Pro would give me a better gaming experience compared to my PS4, and on every game I've played with Pro support, that has always been the case.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Jason":ardsh6ft said:
I don't recall ever saying I believe everything they say, and I've not a clue how the PS4 Pro proves it... I chose to believe that the PS4 Pro would give me a better gaming experience compared to my PS4, and on every game I've played with Pro support, that has always been the case.

See, you just proved me right. LMAO. If you already own a ps4 there's absolutely no reason to get a pro. This comes from people who made the upgrade. Sony even confirmed some games are locked at 30 fps even though it can do 60. Little to no improvement on most games, the disappointment is real...

Jason

Awesome Bro

That's like saying there's no need to buy Bluray films or UHD films because we have DVD... have you seen The Last Guardian played on a PS4, and then on a PS4 Pro?

Hybrida":29s7plag said:
See, you just proved me right. LMAO. If you already own a ps4 there's absolutely no reason to get a pro.
consoles are questionable enough at the moment, let alone buying two of the same thing lmao

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

ZenVirZan":38wzgxs2 said:
Hybrida":38wzgxs2 said:
See, you just proved me right. LMAO. If you already own a ps4 there's absolutely no reason to get a pro.
consoles are questionable enough at the moment, let alone buying two of the same thing lmao

Yeah, there's actually three PlayStation 4's available right now:

Original
Slim
Pro

There's no difference in the 1st two except appearance. The pro actually played a few games worse. It was just one or two games, but still. It's funny...

I heard that it was for other facets of Sony like Sony Music rather than releasing games. I think that was Sony's official statement

But there is also rumor that the crash bandicoot collection is coming to the switch so idk

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

If Nintendo's shoe department was making games for Sony, the internet would be losing its shit right now. Funny how that works.

Crash collection might come to xbox 1 also, just rumors. Xbox 1 is kinda meh atm.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.