Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Divinity's Calling

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Arkayne/OneCriesMercyBanner.png[/IMG]

(New logo in the works, if you can offer assistance then contact me)[/FONT]

A Breeze_Arkayne Presentation; Divinity's Calling

Main-Post #1: Intro & Backstory

Contents

01 - Project Summary
02 - Developer’s Note
03 - Influences
04 - Story Introduction
05 - World Lore [Terms]
06 - FAQ

Project Summary

Divinity's Calling offers players the chance to immerse themselves in an experience that breaks through the crowd. Divinity's Calling has all the spirit and personality that a project could need with its warm and unique cast, and its dark setting that is heavy on fantasy, nature, and the spirit of the human. Live among the times of Mersaeyis, during a breathtaking conflict full of sorrow, laughter, and mercy. Embark on a quest of epic proportions as you uncover the secrets of the Moon Child and his battle with the merciless Grim-Cast Djiin.​

Developer's Note

Breeze_Arkayne said:
Freelancing over the years as a writer for small projects and getting involved in the designing of game elements [and oh, have I improved!], I have acquired some knowledge on gaming [as an art, as entertainment]. The RPG-creation scene is a very challenging thing, to enter and emerge with a name for yourself and your project is no doubt an achievement. A majority of projects may luck out in finding their game willing members to work on game features and impressive visuals, but without a proper story and design the game will not live on over the years [probably falling from notice within months] My belief is [and I will use Square for reference as they have made quite a name for themselves in the RPG scene], if there is one thing that makes a developer thrive [at least in an artistic/designer sense] and make a true impact in the industry it will be that their games contain a personality and atmosphere true to them. Final Fantasy VII introduced a rebellious atmosphere and an amazing, involving design to a setting that cannot truly be likened to others. Chrono Cross had a very warm atmosphere that just ‘felt-right’ in its pacing, characters, and atmosphere. Final Fantasy IX had an amazing atmosphere and a setting with characters that just connected with players, so despite its ‘lack of depth’ compared to other Final Fantasy games, this remains among my favorites. I hope very much that Divinity's Calling will succeed in a way like the games of old that still live in our memories, not only based on gameplay elements, but very much on story and atmospheric values.[/FONT]

Influences

*Princess Mononoke: Atmosphere, manipulation of moods, darker story elements, artistic "views"
*Spirited Away: Atmosphere, light story writing, artistic "views"
*Final Fantasy IX: Gameplay, character design, environment and nation design
*Chrono Cross: Gameplay, flow in story and events, plot branches, character design
*Chrono Trigger/Chrono Crisis: Combat and character skill advancement design, artistic style
*Disgaea: Darker themes, character development and interaction, inspiration for Eisar story design
*Radiata Knights: Fantasy and art design, character interaction, inspiration for Val-Numan story design
*Legend of Zelda: World design, light story writing, gameplay elements

On a side note, I have not yet had the time to finish Chrono Cross or play Disgaea. My knowledge of Disgaea is of what I have seen from a distance, in its characters, atmosphere, and artwork.

Story Introduction

Divinity's Calling is set in Spirta (spear-ta) when the end of the Golden Age is nearing. The beautiful lands of the world are separated to the three major nations, the spiritual and great Eisar (ice-ear), the independent and industrial Val-Steadis (val-stead-eece), and the ancient and forgotten Shiv. While the Eisar celebrate amongst the spirits, the Val-Steadis continue developing a new and powerful future. Emerging from the very segregated Spirta, the nobles of Val-Steadis lead their nation into the Crusades. Succumbing immediately under their much larger invaders, Shiv is torn apart and its Djiin (jin) are taken. And this my friend, is where the age of Mersaeyis begins, a Demon to destroy, a Demon to unite…​

“And when the clouds clear, there he slumbers in Mother's arms. A shattered vision in his mind, and a scar over his body. May the Weeping Widow's tears grant him strength as he carries the world on his shoulders.â€Â

Main-Post #2: Game Elements and Plans

Contents

01 - Conflict In Spirta
02 - The Characters
03 - Immersion Elements
04 - Gameplay Elements
05 - Visual Section
06 - Walkthrough & Secrets
07 - Meet The Team
08 - Project Dates
09 - Script Listings
10 - Contact Us

Conflict In Spirta

Weeks after Shiv's destruction, the first wave of Shiv survivors scrambled unto Eisar territory. As the Val-Numans raided ancient Shiv libraries, the Council of Tiitis claimed war on the young nation of Val-Steadis.

As the Eisar, you are in control of the great demon Mersaeyis. One of the eight Demons summoned to the cause, his quest is one to support the region of Drake and collect the unclaimed Djiin of the world.

As the Val-Numans, you are in control of Myles Ivinson, a young soldier placed in the Seven Lions party. Your adventures take you from the capital of Val-Steadis to the now claimed Shiv. It is here where your party commander was summoned for urgent matters.​

The Characters

There are two seperate story-lines in Moon Child that cross over. Each has their own feel and unique elements, all of which is used to explain the Val-Eisar war in a way that could not be described from a single perspective. When playing as the Eisar, Moon Child is the base character and the story centers around him. When playing as the Val-Numans, Myles Ivinson is the main character, and the story is based around him. The game is *not* split up into two segments, control between these two characters is switched during certain points.​

CHAR Mersaeyis - The Moon Child The only Demon of the Drake region, living under the commands of Vahemin. A playful spirit in nature, yet when it comes to battle another side of him shows. Mersaeyis is a very manipulative and sadistic warrior, wielding his two short blades, Luna and Oktave, with grace and power. Although loved by his people [who he very much enjoys the company of], Mersaeyis is more of an adventurous and independent Demon who likes to travel to locations far off from his home region.

[Story Qualities] Humourous, Sadistic, Compassionate, Loved
[Game Qualities] Fighting style, powerful set of Djiin effects, very deadly in battle, supportive of other characters​

CHAR Bane A mischeavious little mystery to the elder Eisar, Bane is one-of-a-kind. Even when the most intelligent Council of Tiitis observed him, it was undecided whether this strange being was a Demon or an Eisar deformity. As he grew in time under the Tiitis' watchful eyes, it was quickly found out that Bane had quite the mouth and attitude that would get him into much trouble. Although some find this attitude interesting, the Tiitis found it quite annoying facing the complaints of the people. After an experience in the city, Moon Child stepped up and offered to take Bane under his watch, and they have now become traveling companions. Bane's closest link to the Eisar race is the Ellis [a fairy-like race] due to his small body type and the way that he hovers above ground [basically picture him as a small, red, flying, imp].

[Story Qualities] Comical, mischeavious, stuck-up, selfish, proud
[Game Qualities] Very useful support/enhance effects, very strong skill set, enjoyable to have around​

CHAR Vahemin The Tiitis of the Drake region, Vahemin's (Va-he-men) interests lie in success and prosperity, yet his darker sides show in his single Demon, Moon Child. Although not very accomplished as the Third Tiitis, Vahemin hopes that with Moon Child he can turn the tides of the war.

[Story Qualities] Elder of the Eisar race [as the third oldest being], powerful, caring, worried
[Game Qualities] Nice set of core warrior Demons, a few core surprises​

CHAR Commander [Brett] Isenharrow, Age: 37 Commander Brett Isenharrow (Eye-zen-hare-oh), leader of the Seven Lions scouting party. Brett Isenharrow spent much of his troubled childhood learning under the harsh expectations of a master swordsman. Although a failure in his master's eyes (due to Brett's many mistakes), Brett managed to muster enough strength to make a good showing to the Val-Numan army and was assigned as a scout commander. Due to his little experience though, Commander Isenharrow was stuck with quite the squad...

[Story Qualities] Nervous, easily angered and surprised, very humorous moments between him and the party, loyal to the cause yet ignorant of the reasons
[Game Qualities] Strong and very well guarded warrior with versatility in both wielding the sword and the Sapphire Essai (Es-ah-ya), nice support and fighting character with 'crushing' damage​

CHAR Myles Ivinson, Age: 20 Myles is a young and over-excited man whose dreams lie in the fame and glory of serving for the Crusades. A thrill-seeker, Myles will do anything in pursuit of adventure. Together with his long time childhood friend, Garret, Myles joined as a scout and was sent over to the Seven Lions party. A quick learner in the ways of combat, Myles has developed a very deadly style of using the sword and Essai in combat. He has found that the lighter Emerald Essai is much suited to his range of positions and speed in battle.

[Story Qualities] "I'm my own boss" attitude, easily excitable, thrill-seeker, simple needs, conflicts with Brett's attitude
[Game Qualities] Very versatile in combat, a lot of support abilities in his Essai range, 'sharper' damage​

CHAR Garret Allos, Age: 22 Although striving to be an intelligent person, Garret too shares the same problem that Myles has. Garret has always cared little about settling down, and seeks to journey the world and discover its secrets. Not much in support of the war, he saw the Crusades as an excellent opportunity to see the wonders of the world, and joined as a scout. Garret's abilities lie in between that of Myles and Brett, with a very high endurance and a powerful attack strength. As an intelligent warrior, Garret chose the Crimson Essai due to its vast school of knowledge.

[Story Qualities] Supports other characters and story development, ambitious, makes quite a few mistakes in his learning process
[Game Qualities] Powerful and intelligent warrior that can hold his own, very large ability set, his choice of axe as a weapon goes well with his battle skills​

Immersion Elements

Following Main-Post #1 on atmosphere, visuals and audio will play a huge part in the creation of Divinity's Calling. The visual style is still in development but I'm hoping that I can achieve a colorful yet sophisticated style with half-kaisers as the character base. Audio is a mixture of multiple game soundtracks, each full of tracks that set the perfect game atmosphere and style. More details will be announced at a later time.​

Gameplay Elements

Divinity's Calling will be a project that overcomes the basic problems of any other. It's gameplay elements have a simple interface yet are deep and allow for customization. Here are some major highlights planned for the final versions of Divinity's Calling:

Plot-Branch Design & Cultural Design: Divinity's Calling deals with its story in an unique way for RMXP games. Influenced very much by Chrono Cross, the story opens up and allows for different paths that the player can take. This feature will aid in developing characters and showing you multiple sides to the epic tale. Depending on the path you take during the game, the conclusion will differ. Now, in my opinion, culture has its own part in telling the tale. I believe that in creating a unique world, right down to the NPCs or items, you can shape how players view the story. Because of this I will focus plenty of attention into the culture of the land, its history and relations will be vital to the game.

Divine Combat Engine: Divinity's Calling will feature an unique take on the classic ATB combat engine. As the game progresses, I am planning to start work on a battle engine designed primarily with Divinity's Calling's gameplay in mind. The battle engine will be side-view with a new set of battle animations. Along with this, the engine is based around certain additions to the gameplay of Divinity's Calling. Besides major interface changes, the actual amount of characters in combat at a time differs with this system. There are a different set of options for each campaign.

The Val-Numans have these options in combat: Force [Strike/Missile], Guard [Guard/Counter], Skill, Essence, Supply, and Retreat.
The Demons have a different set of options in battle: Attack, Guard, Demon, Djiin, Resource, and Escape.

Skills in Divinity's Calling are gained differently than in the default battle system. Attacking opponents or using skills will increase a character's strength. For example, a character that attacks often will gain strength, using a certain skill a lot will lead to an advance to an upgrade to a higher skill (similar to FF7's system). As a character stays in combat and performs actions, they gain combat points which when gained enough will help the character raise in level (referred to as Rank for Val-Numans, Age for Demons). As the character raises in level they will gain access to newer skills which when used enough will be permanently learned (for visual aid, look at Chrono Crisis's excellent tech grid system).

Val-Side Combat: The Val-Numans campaign features a very different style of combat than the Demon's. As the adventures focus on the scout party and teamwork is needed to advance throughout the game, there are a set of features to draw on those elements.
*Troops trained in the Val army have gained access to new weapons. Many are trained in melee weapons and in addition to, the Essai. The Essai is a ranged weapon that draws upon the Elemental Essence of the land. Whether melee or Essai is used depends where characters are placed in battle (Craptacular Layout Sketch). As seen in my horrible flash art, there are up to five characters in battle at time. There is one protected unit at the back who will always use the Essai due to range, there are two units in the middle who have access to either melee weapons or the Essai, and there are two units in the front who have access to melee weapons. Character's that are heavy attackers may want to be put in the front while Essence-based ones should be put in the back. Also shown in this picture is the menu on the left, the enemy position, and the Time Gauge which will appear above every character.
*There are three different types of skills you can invest for Val-Numan characters. The first are battle skills (from weapon to command skills) based on the character, the second are Essai skills (all kinds, elemental attacks, stat boosts) based on both character and their Essai type, and the third is depending on which characters are in your party at the time. The Val-Numans can interact with certain Tactic Skills which are combined skills of multiple characters.
*Val-Numans gain slight stat boosts with increases in Rank but mainly gain boosts by investing in skills.
*The Val-Numan campaign will have around nine characters to experiment with.

Demon-Side Combat: Largely different than the Val-Numan campaign, the Demon campaign is much more focused on individual characters and their identities in battle. As seen in this, the Demons differ from the Val-Numans in that they only have three characters in combat at a time, two units on the front line and one unit behind.
*Demons have Demon skills (battle and personal) and Djiin skills to learn. Djiin are equipped to a Demon, and they provide the Demon with new skills to learn. As these skills are learned the Djiin grow stronger and provide bonuses to the Demon. Along with this, a Demon can have multiple Djiin for a wide variety of enhancing effects.
*The Demons gain large stat changes when they age and different enhancing effects from investing in their Djiin.
*In the Demon campaign there is a large cast of around 12-15 characters.

The gameplay may be very confusing from what you read, if you have any questions, then please ask.

Visual Section

*Game is currently at a very early state so images are nothing spectacular. As the game evolves from its design stage to a playable one, expect many more impressive screens.*
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Arkayne/th_Title.png[/IMG] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Arkayne/th_Test_Battle.png[/IMG] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Arkayne/th_Test_Grahentz.png[/IMG] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Arkayne/th_Poke1.png[/IMG]

#1 - The exciting title!!!! Fonts used: Runic MT Condensed, Final Fantasy Elements, Pictures used: Blizzard's Night Elf Warcraft 3 Wallpaper, Programs used: Adobe Photoshop CS2
#2 - A small test battle to see how the systems and database fare.
#3 - A skill testing.
#4 - Some creature concept art.​

Walkthrough & Secrets

-No installations yet-​

Meet The Team

LEAD Breeze_Arkayne: Creator, Lead Design & Writing, Database and Map Work
MAIN Chimp of Doom: Writer & Story Design
TEAM Mr Ishbuu: Sketch Artist

-PM or post back if you are interested in joining under the Sketch Artist, Game Arts, or Scripting/Engine Works positions, also check out the recruitment topic-
At this very moment, a logo artist and someone to help me rework the two main posts (in artwork, layout, and writing) are vital to the development of the game.

Project Dates

Release date is undecided at this point, further important dates are;
Introductory Demo: -?-​

Script Listings

Scripts currently used are:
RATB v 1.14

Contact Us

Email: divinenow@gmail.com
AIM: divinenow
or PM me and I will get back to you shortly!​

Thanks for your time, and please comment and criticize!
~Breeze_Arkayne, head of Breeze Productions developments.

(Before anyone asks, I did have permission from moderators to divide my topic into two major posts (thank you very much for helping me make the topic, psgels))​
[/FONT]

This sounds like a fun idea in concept so this is the advice Im gonna offer you after watching so many good concepts die due to not being able to form a team.
Make a demo, now, of what YOU can now, that shows YOUR strengths in refference to this game's concept. Pretty graphics wont show me how interactive and none-linear your environment is, that's something you outta demonstrate yourself. Dont call it a normal demo, call it a "_____ demo"(the _____ being the main aspect of the whole of the game you want to demonstrate).
Maybe its just story progression, maybe its just an interactive town, or whatever. Dont worry about filler, use that as a recrueting tool and as a hype tool because actions speak louder than words, and showing that you as the primary maker can deliver on your part of the bargain for what you promise here will encourage more people to notice your project and/or want to help you with the things you cant do (graphics, etc.)

You look like you know what you're doing, so get something intresting for people to toy with and a team will come.

Good luck, i'm watching this closely, it looks like you have things looking good so far.

Peace

@ryanwh: Although I won't be able to have much accomplished from the time and resources at hand currently, I'll try my best to release some kind of demo to the public to show them what kind of game this will be. Thanks for the advice!

@Durastik: Thanks very much!

@Myonosken: Heh, maybe "WOW" art does that to ya' but not Warcraft 3 art! I'm a big fan of the strategy series, not having ever touched the MMORPG expansion. Still, the image was used to capture attention until a custom one was made, and I'm sure that after looking at the detail in the posts above, they'll at least give it a quick shot (which would hopefully go on to getting hooked). But thank you for the advice, and know where you're coming from. I actually haven't seen many "noob" games using Warcraft artwork though...
[/FONT]

Post is old and needs to be updated
Heh, I missed the whole RM2K scene so I wouldn't know :P .

Highlight some things you all would like to see for the first demo:
*Battle Style
*Marketplace
*Characters
*Story

--Also on an other note (this applies to what ryanwh said), this game is not going for the open-ended style such as a game like Fable, as it very clearly has a story to tell. It's going for a more massive and branching style though, more similar to Chrono Cross and Jade Empire.
[/FONT]

Post is old and needs to be updated
@Draken - Thanks very much!

DEMO NEWS - I've chosen an Active demo (you'll see some Story [sections related to the game], Active [strict gameplay], and Passive [features and scenes] demos throughout the course of this project) as part of the showcase for One Cries Mercy. The demo is not related to the game's story very much, but shows an example of the gameplay and concepts that you'll see in it. Here's some features that you all can look forward to (as I'm creating the demo right now):

*You are MR. HERO, a hero, a tyrant, an outlaw, you are known by many different identities. How will YOU express yourself; on the battlefield, to the people? It is your choice to exist as a golden tale to the masses or a horrible nightmare for the generations.

*Play as a generic hero in the interactive demo of OCM. Test out your skills in the Training Rooms through its multiple tests:

-The Arena; packed with a diverse selection of combatants, this section allows the player to experience an 'alpha' version of the battle system. Get hands-on with the new statistics and skills system, and get an idea on how the class-change system works.

-The Pub; conversation skills lacking? Then you're going to have to freshen up, as the people of OCM will want to be impressed by their leader's abilities and feats. Converse with people, learning about daily news and spreading your own. In this specific demo the Pub also happens to be the local recruits spot, and is where you can be informed on who is up for the cause.

-The Market; Coming soon

-The Guild; Coming soon

TOPIC NEWS - I'd like to hear some criticism on the game, what is done right, what can be better (besides a playable demo). So please, post some criticism in the following weeks! *Ahem* Despain *Ahem*
[/FONT]​

Why, just why did you change the name? It's horribly long and sounds like some Flash Gordon episode. One Cries Mercy was much more cooler.

Meadow said:
Why, just why did you change the name? It's horribly long and sounds like some Flash Gordon episode. One Cries Mercy was much more cooler.

Hah, thanks for speaking up as your comment made me realize that the game name really isn't what I was going for. I've been going through some very heavy project revisions and I haven't been able to flesh everything out as much as I wanted. I actually didn't expect anyone watching the topic for a while so I was kind of taking my time with the two front posts here :P . For the most part I'm done with the writing, although I still need to do some revising and fix up the gameplay information to fit the new project (don't pay much attention to the 3rd and 4th posts for now).[/FONT]​

Actually, I talked to chimp_of_doom today online (thanks very much, your advice helped quite a lot), and I went through some new project name choices. What do you guys think of the name Divinity's Calling? It's catchy and deep at the same time.[/FONT]​

I've asked around and Divinity's Calling was the favored name. The setting has not changed with this new name so there is no huge update like last time. I have finally gotten the gameplay section reworked, and although it is very confusing at the current moment, at least it is better than nothing.

Still waiting for some of those comments and particularly, some criticism :P .
~Breeze_Arkayne (just because I feel cooler when I do it)
[/FONT]​

Cygnea

Sponsor

While I don't have any skills to offer you, I wanted to comment on how much thought seems to have gone into this. Everything I read seems interesting and you seem to be covering every aspect I could think of.

From the bit I've read since you rearranged the first page, this seems almost like a novel and it'll be interesting to see how it plays.

Thank you very much for the comment, Cygnea. I have put a lot of work into making this project deep and interesting, and am glad to know that you have noticed that. The story is going to be very large factor in the game although gameplay will be quite an important part as well.
[/FONT]

Mr Ishbuu has offered his skills as an artist for Divinity's Calling and has joined the team! We are currently working on a few drawings for the game, and experimenting to find the right style. Further updates on the game design are that I've been working on the battle, menu, and HUD systems (the features and possibly artwork [not quite as interactive as I would hope...]). I should be able to post some visual updates soon that would brighten up this topic a decent amount...

And hey, if you're going to read through the whole project topic all the way up to this post, the least you could do is leave an opinion (yell at me for wasting your time :P , tell me something that you found interesting, etc.). Anyways, thanks for your time and I hope that there are some out there that are keeping an eye on this project.

~Breeze_Arkayne​
[/FONT]

Ah... Changes, changes, changes. After a long halt there, I am picking up the project again and looking for a full team that will assist me. The direction of the game has changed in terms of pacing and characters (only slightly), and I hope to have more to show real soon (it's about time for the project to pick up some). Well, I'm open to all questions and comments.

Have a nice one,
Breeze Arkayne​
[/FONT]

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.