Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Disable Debug

The world's smallest script - but important to prevent ez cheaters.

Insert a new script at the very, very top of the list (before original scripts!)
Name it Disable Debug.

Here's the code.
Code:

$DEBUG = false

$BTEST = false

How it works:
When Game.exe runs, it checks a commandline parameter, specifically "-debug". If this is present, it enables F9, and "hold CTRL to walk through walls and ignore encounters". The editor typically provides this parameter automatically. But assuming that your consumers don't know how to use command line parameters is a bit naive. This simple edit disables the features added by debug, problem solved.

If you're worried about more advanced cheaters, use a replacement Game.exe as that eliminates the "generic RPG Maker Game trainer"s (because known RAM addresses are suddenly very wrong). I won't provide a tutorial here as its kind of unclear how that falls on the rulebook, but there are plenty of tutorials out there, and I've done it myself a number of different ways.

Cheaters will still cheat. So these are more like a padlock - they won't stop a career criminal, but they'll keep the honest people honest.
(Did you know you can open a padlock with a soda can? You're welcome, YouTube, for the extra traffic :wink: )
(Edit: Did you know you can open canned goods with nothing but a cement floor? (cleanly!))

Hah, I normally edit out all the debug parts, it never occurred to me to just turn the flag off at the end of all the scripts. Cheers.

More precisely, at the *beginning* of all the scripts. Just in case ;) (shouldn't matter tremendously)

Edit: Updated to include forcing $BTEST off as well.

Not that it'll prevent people from decrypting your project anyway if they really wanted to, I suppose. But as you said, it's like a padlock. Deters the mostly honest ones, doesn't affect the completely honest ones, and hardly puts up a fight for the dishonest ones. That's really what DRM should do, but...so difficult to convince major corporations of that kind of thing.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.