Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Destined Journeys I: Renewal of a Dream

Dead content awaiting restoration.
logo_text.jpg

Hey guys, BradleyDFC talking, and I'm here to tell you about my new project. "Destined Journeys". Now you may remember my old project, "Those Who Wish, Life Giver". It was a very cliche game, and very boring to make, so I began this project. I am loving every second of making it, and now it is out in the public for some constructive critisism, things can only get better and better! *touches wood* This project is quite new, and some things in this project may be changed, and definitely a lot will be added, but, nonetheless, here is my project.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Folks! The screenshots are up! Introducing my new battle system! Please check them out!

The Demo of Vivid Depths is still up! Please download, and hopefully comment...!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

storyline.jpg

Brad, Silk, Souhaits and Chanson. Four young children from the advanced technological city of Suntopia. Bought up through the religian that shared the people of the modern world, they were all theoreticly the same. Until when Brad, coincedently or not so, overhears the new guardian of their parish speaking of unheard words, their world is spoilt. Adults to them now appear corrupt, things were changing. The great city of Suntopia was seeming all the less great, and when Brad stumbles upon the relation of religian and lifestyle, they four protagonists discover how the similarities between the public, is they key to the destruction of the world.

By something ending, another can be anew.
When something is renewed, then it cannot have possibled ended.

characters.jpg

Bradley Destine
Nickname: Brad
Class: Death Lancer
Weapon: Spears
Description: The leader. This protagonist is quick and speedy, ready to strike and any given moment. Bought up in Suntopia with his lifelong friend Silk, the pair were unseparable. He currently has an on-off relationship with Chanson, but neither bring it up, and show their true feelings for eachother. His past, he desires not to mention. He says it is not important, and that of the future is. But nonetheless, something must have happened.

Sarah "Silk" Natallie
Nickname- Silk
Age- 16
Class: Lightning Thief
Weapon: Knifes
Description: Brad's childhood friend. She chose to wield knifes for offensive means, which gives her brilliant agility and accuracy. She will sometimes act like the Mature one, which is probably blamed on the fact that she has just been bought up too fast, and needs to accept the fact that she needs to "chill out." Her past, parallel to Brad's, is rarely spoke of. Though she does give more information that Brad. She was an orphan.

Chanson de Harpe
Nickname- Chanson
Age- 19
Class: Blissfull Musician
Weapon: Harps
Description: Only moving to Suntopia when she was 14, she was yet to experince hormones or deep feelings for anyone due to her spoilt upbringing in the western, desert districts. When she meets Brad, she falls in love with him, and makes Silk seem like just a puppy to Brad.
features.jpg

- Intresting and non-cliche story.
- Intense scenery and believable atmospheres.
- Diverse music. Choosen especially.
- Superb dungeon design inspired by TLoZ.
- In-Depth puzzles. Some inspired by brilliant puzzles, others completely original.
- Planned in chapters, so each chapter will improve on the last.

screenshots.jpg

Here they are. Sorry for the delay.

statue_puzzle.jpg

Somewhat, confusing puzzles.

mines.jpg

You may need some Logic...

check_them_ou.jpg

A VERY big city.

bossfight.jpg

Some intresting, and frustratingly hard fights.

battle_with_souhaits.jpg

And some battles, with familiar faces...

demo.jpg

DJ I: Renewal of a Dream - Vivid Depths

http://www.box.net/shared/rue19c12fg

Please download. :D

I do believe that on average it should deliver 30-60 minutes of gameplay. All depending of your skill of the puzzles (or luck in some cases) and your choice to explore the dungeon for treasure and such.

Please note the following: I know that you can fight the Main Boss, and the Skeleton at the start unlimited times, and I do obviously know how to fix it, but at the present time, I feel that if you get bored with the demo, you can go and train up more easily than with purely wild monsters. Thanks.

A BBBIIIGGG Thanks to ARTBANE here, for saving me the forgotten hours of searching for a battle theme. ;)

progress.jpg

Story- 95%
Characters- 100%
Mapping- 50%
Events- 50%
Database- 95%
Scripts- 95%
Planning- 95%
Other- 90%

Overall- 83.75%

updates.jpg

~~~1st July '07~~~
- New Screenshots.
- Story clearer and even more non-cliche.
- Added character's full names.
- Added the picture/title thingys.
- Added DEMO_ONE Details!!! :D :D :D
- Changed title of Demo. It was quite rubbish.
~~~2nd July '07~~~
- Added Chanson!
~~~3rd July '07~~~
- Updated the story ever so slightly. Demo coming soon!
- If you're reading this please bump this thread!
~~~8th July '07~~~
- Updated the story immensely. They previous story is generally added onto the end of the first one, but this new story will add a lot more depth to the world.
~~~21st July '07~~~
- Updated the story.
- Updated (-ish) Screenshots.
- Updated DEMO release date and details.
~~~24th July '07~~~
- Added to the Demo. It's now in more detail.
- Incredibly updated the Percentages! I had forgot about that part.
- Added some big text at the top, where thee shall see the latest news on my project. :D
~~~25th July '07~~~
- DEMO ADDED! :D
~~~27th July '07~~~
- Screenshots added.
~~~28th July '07~~~
- Updated character descriptions and past. Souhaits should be up soon.

It seems that there is no reason why the beast is in the temple. Which is sort of weird. Maybe you could clarify that. Also, that quest seems a little too big for two kids just starting off, trying to be heroes or whatever. The next twist in the plot totally comes out of nowhere. So, as you can tell the story doesn't really pull me in. But, maybe the gameplay could make up for that.

Totti;229389 said:
It seems that there is no reason why the beast is in the temple. Which is sort of weird. Maybe you could clarify that. Also, that quest seems a little too big for two kids just starting off, trying to be heroes or whatever. The next twist in the plot totally comes out of nowhere. So, as you can tell the story doesn't really pull me in. But, maybe the gameplay could make up for that.

No need to do this no more!

The story seems a bit cliche with the "Chosen By God" thing, but then again, what isn't cliche anymore nowadays? The screenshots look pretty fun! The mapping could be better, I would reccomend adding some more middle and upper layer little plants and what not, though it is understandably in the desert where there shouldnt be much of that. Make your cliffs a little more curvey though.

All in all though, this looks to me like an enjoyable and fun game to play, which is what, when it boils down to it, is important, right?

Thanks. I know there not brilliant.

Please everyone! Post your replys!

Plus, does anyone want to test my Demo before I release it? Please post here if you want to!

Tim.

The character personalities seem a tad generic, and maybe its just me, but the title "Destined Journeys" implies linearity.

Flamerfox;229423 said:
The character personalities seem a tad generic, and maybe its just me, but the title "Destined Journeys" implies linearity.

Tad generic. Yeah, I see what you mean. But I've tried not to overdo the character details at the moment. I might add a longer version along with a shorter version later on. About linearity, it certainly isn't a linear game. You can revisit virtualy every place you go via portals. I think so anyway, I may substitute the portal idea for a "Sewer System."

Edit:

Also. If it were called "Destined Journey" it is in it's singular form and so it would imply there being only one journey, but it is the plural, so it implied more than one journey = more than one path = non-linear game.

Edit:
Does no one wanna post?

I think the one thing letting the idea down is the mapping to be honest.

I think you should get a good mapper in and maybe you should not be useing the RTP because alot of people dont like it

I understand you dont want to give up and i dont think you should.

GOOD LUCK and i hope to see you looking at the project im on :D

keep it up mate :D

Lei

Id have to agree when it comes to the mapping... Read a few walkthroughs on it... Might learn to spice things up a little. :)

Lei;234797 said:
Id have to agree when it comes to the mapping... Read a few walkthroughs on it... Might learn to spice things up a little. :)

Yeah. I'll post some of the "prettier" maps later on in the week. I've been working on them a loooot. :D

XcuMaSoft;235651 said:
Thats really good mate :D hope to see the improvements.

soo are you going to have anything original on this game or just RTP?

Of course, I shall be using various scripts that upgrade the RTP. As for the battle system, I am going to, at the moment, use the custom one. Though some people do not like it, I'm quite fond of it, and I really want to use it to import stratergy into the game. A tough database challenge. As for the BGMs, all of them so far are from some of my favourite video games. At the moment, it spreads across The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time (++ plus more from the series to come ++) and a good few originating from the Final Fantasy universe! :D

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I like the Bradley Hand ITC you used for "The Lost Elements"

(HEHE) My Name :p ;)

XcuMaSoft;234791 said:
I think the one thing letting the idea down is the mapping to be honest.

I think you should get a good mapper in and maybe you should not be useing the RTP because alot of people dont like it

I understand you dont want to give up and i dont think you should.

GOOD LUCK and i hope to see you looking at the project im on :D

keep it up mate :D

The project you're on is amazing. Keep that up! :D

I know I'm not allowed to bump, and if the mods consider this as bumping, then please let me know, but there is some news reguarding the demo.

As stated, the Demo will be release on Friday the 13th of July, BUT I go away to france for 5 days after this. (from Saturday onwards) So, I would be grately thankful if you were to post your reply here, and not to carry on asking me when I will reply. In fact, this post is to reduce bumping. Thanks guys, and try to reply if you do eventually download the demo! :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.