Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Diablocide

[Demo(n)] Diablocide

mim0qx.jpg

Fourteen heroes, fourteen souls, fourteen stories, fourteen goals...

We're all in this together.

Diablocide is the story of fourteen people rebuilding their life. They have banded together to tackle the Demon Tower - a place many know of, but a place that none have survived. It is said that those who reach the tower's peak are granted a wish. Anything can become reality... if you still have your soul.

Diablocide is a light dungeon crawl that accidentally has character development.

Features
-Control fourteen heroes at once in epic battles against Demons
-Witness the interaction of diverse people working and dealing with one another
-Explore the less-than-sunny story through short dialogues instead of lengthy cutscenes
-Customize each character with Essence
-Potentially die a horrible death against enemies encountered on the map
-No two enemy groups are the same; each fight is different

Characters
(Hidden because there are fourteen!)
ama8b8.jpg

Kristoph the Knight Errant
Role: Tank
Kristoph leads the vanguard with his shield and spear, providing justice for those that would live with - or be - demons. He seems to have an interest in Princess, which she reciprocates. Kristoph aids his protective nature with the ability to heal allies with his own lifeforce.

2wgvzv9.jpg

Darren the Demonai
Darren has a distaste for mages, except for those that have "earned his trust." He is normally taciturn and reserved, mostly because those he would talk to fear the demonic spirit residing within his body. Darren's severe beatings in the arena have helped solidify him against many negative effects.

244s96f.jpg

Goldurn the Guardian
Goldurn is a warlord from a distant continent, recently cursed by an amulet that encourages vitality but weakens one's axe-arm. As such, the general is attempting to use the tower's energy to remove the amulet before he is unable to fight at all.

dxnv6a.jpg

Felix the Focused One
Role: Fighter
Felix is both focused and unfocused. In the sense of body and spirit, he is a master of his discipline despite his young age. Socially and intellectually, however, Felix is not as sharp as his claws that can penetrate even the thickest hide.

2dvtkjl.jpg

Never-age the Nightwalker
Never-age is tightly connected to Eon Feather and considers him to be her "Master." She speaks only in distant third person, but still manages to jab her fellow climbers - especially Darren, who she calls the "Dark One." She is skilled at removing that which gets in the way.

302t2r4.jpg

Ha'naan the Harlot
Ha'naan has her own sincere motives for entering the tower, but you would never know it. She is tolerated but not fully accepted by the rest of the group, who mostly find her mind of innuendo distasteful. Despite how she is treated, Ha'naan does her best to manipulate enemies with her enchanted fan.

ofzp1c.jpg

Stefan the Seadog
Stefan is naught but a pirate. He acts like a pirate, talks like a pirate, and is just about as good at working with others as a pirate is. He likes treasure.

15yzq15.jpg

Princess the Pyromancer
Role: Mage
Princess is the mistress of flame. Unlike other Mages that cannot fully control their element, Princess uses her lack of memory to concentrate vast amounts of mental energy into targeted, flaming destruction.

dg12q9.jpg

Illinois the Ice Magus
Illinois's snarky nature tends to be off-putting, but despite his attempts to drive people away from him they are always interested, thinking that he must have some elaborately dramatic past. Illinois channels his anger at others into ice spells that cover the entire battlefield.

1zgb3fp.jpg

Collin the Circuit Sage
Collin is something of a rogue wizard. While not over-the-top, he enjoys gambling and fiddling around with his electric talents in eclectic ways. His magic resembles his love of randomness, providing exceedingly variable results.

29nbj44.jpg

Eon Feather the Epic Savant
Eon Feather is incredibly intelligent, often realizing things that the rest of the climbers never even wonder about. His guidance is spot-on, despite his somewhat shady dealings with Never-age. Ironically, he seems to be somewhat weakened when it comes to magic - it is difficult for Eon Feather to choose a specific target for his arcana.

2s0jksw.jpg

Martin IV the Medic
Role: Healer
Martin IV comes from a line of wealthy nobles who aspire to ever greater riches... except for a certain headstrong teenager. Martin IV is the youngest climber at only eighteen years of age and is forced to use his training in medicine to aid allies. He'd much rather be stabbing things instead.

hwx2rn.jpg

Titania the Troubador
Titania is the queen of her own domain. While not snotty or aloof, she is generally apathetic to what people think of her. Her lack of self-consciousness allows Titania to focus on aiding and inspiring others with her mystic powers.

2ywy8w0.jpg

Apnis the Acolyte
Apnis lives a quiet life in pursuit of faith. Like Kristoph, she is a champion of the Church - albeit in a way much different from the paladin. She speaks little, not because she doesn't want to but because she is afraid of others. Her potent connection with the goddess Helena grants her the uncanny ability to take care of the army.

Screenshots
LetsJam.png

HarlotDilemma.png

Annnd more:
CordialEntrance.png

QuiteTimid.png

StatueOfHelena.png

Download and Credits
Download: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1410/
THIS GAME REQUIRES THE RMVX RTP. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE RMVX RTP HERE:
http://tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/eng/download.html

Graphics are 2k3 RTP (facesets by Ghost), music has a text file within the game download (although not all music files are included with the demo), scripts are by Craze, KGC, Mithran, modern_algebra, Yanfly, ERZENGEL and GameBaker.

Nolund

Sponsor

You enemies REALLY clash everything. They are nice and all, but they are very clear and crisp, compared to 8-bit looking graphics. I think you need to relook at your enemies, and see if you can pixel them rather than using a digipad and handdrawing them.

I also think you need to explain a little more about what your game actually IS. All I see is that it's about 14 people rebuilding their lives. Why do they need to rebuild their lives? Do they just all know one another by chance, or do they meet somewhere down the road?

You lack a lot of information here, and it's pushing me away from trying your game.

They got together and decided to climb the demon tower to fulfill their wishes. I'm not going to post eighteen-page stereotypical jRPG sob stories about their dramatic dead-parent pasts and the intricate nuances of each sweet nothing breathed into each other's ear as they walk towards the tower. It's a light dungeon crawler that accidentally has character development. The "rebuild their lives" part is something the characters don't even realize is going on (at least not at first). It's not anywhere near as cut-and-dry as, well... "EVER SINCE THAT THING IN THE PAST I HAVE BEEN A SHY HEALERGIRL. YEAH THAT THING, BIG BRO, NOW LET'S FORGET THAT THING IN THE PAST (sob) AND GO CLEAN OUT THE SEWERS!" I swear that is real dialogue (barely paraphrased). Let's just say that I have a Robe of Subtlety when it comes to making things not blatant and contrived.

If you're looking for a typical SAVE THE WORLD WITH YOUR HEALER SISTER/VILLAIN BEST FRIEND/ENIGMATIC MAGE CHICK AND TWO OTHER RANDOM FOLKS than this isn't the game for you. If you have two+ hours and would like to experience battles where you throw fourteen actually decent characters at twisted demons, play this game.

Maybe I've read your RPG-of-choice wrong, in which case let this post be targeted at those who 1) like a hard sell and 2) like the status quo.

(As for your remark on the monsters, I've gotten that response before but all in all I really like the graphics and they manage to fit the game. Oddly enough, with my previous game Visions & Voices (made alongside Karsuman) we had the exact opposite problem, where we had low-res monsters in a hi-res enviornment... but in the end, those who played it told us they didn't mind much (or totally forgot to mind) because they got so into it. Karsu and I are *finally* getting it right with our current project, where he's doing all of the monster graphics himself.)

MODIFY: This post is a little antagonistic, but it's not meant to be a GUN IN THE FACE - it's mainly focused at the community as a whole. I am adding a sentence to the OP with a genre description for you!

Nolund

Sponsor

I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I will play any sort of game that I find interesting.

My post was aimed at finding out what the game actually was. Your one line saying it was a light dungeon crawler speaks volumes to that. Had you put it in initially, I wouldn't have asked what the game was about.

Sorry about that, then, but my post still stands against people who thinks this sucks because it isn't about two worlds colliding or an amnesiac. This happened with the previous version of this game, so!

I can't download it as I don't have the RMVX RTP (nor do I want to), sorry about that. But nonetheless it looks interesting if that's any help!

When you say you "control 14 people at once", is that... 14 people in a battle, or 14 people on a map? Either way I'm not sure how it would work (I guess have to see it to understand it.)

You control four PCs in the Vanguard each turn. At the start of every turn, however, you can switch around your entire assortment of fourteen characters to recreate the Vanguard. While a single normal battle might only require one PC to be switched in order to focus on a weakness or something, boss battles are built to require the entire army's tenacity and the player's ability to manage resources/characters.

And no, it's not any help to be told that that game looks interesting, but it is nice!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.