Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [DEMO] FF7: Sandfall

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked it a whole lot, but I got the bug Yeyinde did in my third fight with dogs (after I tried using double shot, realized I had no ammo, reloaded, then when Serren's portrait reset to the start of the bar it just stopped). And since I hardly ever save, kind of ruined it for me.

Nice to hear that the slowdown after you choose a command was a bug though, I was starting to think Serren had old man arms and took 15 seconds to lift his gun to aim (which resulted in the first fight with the dogs nearly killing me).

The graphics are done fantastically, low-key colors in a somber environment with a lot of pipes looks great, and the way the characters look is fabulously unique, even if it does use a lot of RTP stuff in there (which is all the more credit to it since that cuts down on your workload and still maintains a unique look).

The music was nice, liked the random beats added in when you wandered by some musicians, and it all fit in with the style super-duper.

My only gripes are the bugs I'm sure will be worked out, and the lack of 'GO HERE DAMNIT' directions. Looking at the map in the menu made me think I was in Shaw to begin with (which was wrong) since the map's Shaw was highlighted, and 'going to see Treshire in Shaw' was kind of like, "what?" I wandered around Shaw for about 20 minutes before the last building I wandered into was the correct one (I'd fix that by just having Serren have a fabulous little thought bubble of 'Treshire's place was somewhere in the middle of the city I think' or somesuch nonsense).

But yeah, all in all, it's looking fantastic, even though yeah, running out of ammo does seem to leave you slightly screwed over, especially at the beginning when you can't buy any because you're poor, especially if you're not adventurous and find boxes with ammo in them.

I was stuck in a wall for the longest time in the jail room after getting he chest. . . and then during the fight scene i was slow to attack and it then froze i replayed it didnt get stuck lol got smart that time and then tryed to look around first and well went to go battle once again and well battle at start froze didnt evn get to attack so maybe work out the bugs and such but the game looks to have great potential

Currently uploading the new version. It should take forty-five minutes or so and will replace the one that's already there.

I've fixed the battle speed and added an additional 25scarabs for Serren when the game begins, so he can buy ammunition if he needs it and make things a bit easier in that way.

Hope that settles things for a bit.

And Kidd6686...
I have no idea what you're talking about. Could you be a bit more specific if you encountered bugs? The grammar in your post isn't easy to wade through.

It was awesome but I couldn't finish it because I got frustrated with speed of the battles. The battle system speed is in 2 parts, one is agi the other is dex if I remember correctly.

I liked the intro very much, thee play and the atmosphere was top notch. Overall, great job.

Hey Des. I'll write you a mini-review when I am done with the game but for now I cannot continue. I seem to be having an issue with the ammunition. Even if I have ammo in my inventory it still shows up as 0/0 in combat. Until that gets sorted out I can't really get anywhere in battles.

Nin;216973 said:
Um des. Your start event is in the wrong place.

Fuck, haha. Every little thing always goes wrong. I'll reupload yet again.

Mr. Mo, read over the posts you've missed; the speed of the battles was an error that I explained and fixed.

Artbane- make sure to use the reload option in the menu. Just because you have the ammunition in your inventory doesn't mean it's in your gun.

Gimme another 45 minutes or so to upload again. I'm also gonna fix some small typos. HOPEFULLY this will really be that last one so I can move on from the demo and onto the rest. :x

I did use reload on the menu and in battle. The ammunition I had was from the chests in the desert which said it would work with a revolver. I was playing the last game you uploaded so maybe there was a problem with it. It started me in the desert outside town if that is wrong.

ArtBane;217079 said:
I did use reload on the menu and in battle. The ammunition I had was from the chests in the desert which said it would work with a revolver. I was playing the last game you uploaded so maybe there was a problem with it. It started me in the desert outside town if that is wrong.

Yes, that's the problem. Important switches were never turned on. I'm uploading the real one now.

This is what happens when I am rushed to fix bugs and start a new job on the same day.

I am sorry for the grammar. My friend is from japan and he lacks correct grammar. However, he has me to help out in these situations. =P

Bugs:
First off, when entering the cell with the chest my friend got stuck in a wall. After opening the chest, he pushed up and walked right through the wall but could not get out due to the it being non-passive. He some how got out though. I was in the other room so I would have to ask him exactly how.

Second, during the fight sequence. (EDIT) The main character attack speed was too slow. The enemy attack speed was way to fast. It also kept freezing randomly during the battle and sometimes it would even freeze completly. It seems to need alot of work. (I am on an alienware so it is not my pc)

The Good:
Story is unique, graphics blend well with the tileset. The game has great potential just needs some tender love and care.

He also says goodluck with you game.
Good luck from me also. =)

kidd6686;217107 said:
First off, when entering the cell with the chest my friend got stuck in a wall. After opening the chest, he pushed up and walked right through the wall but could not get out due to the it being non-passive. He some how got out though. I was in the other room so I would have to ask him exactly how.

Yeah I just spent like five minutes in that room trying to replicate this and couldn't. That's not a normal error. Don't know what your buddy did to get himself into that situation, but it's not on my end.

Second, during the fight sequence. (EDIT) The main character attack speed was too slow. The enemy attack speed was way to fast. It also kept freezing randomly during the battle and sometimes it would even freeze completly. It seems to need alot of work.

We've already talked about that stuff pretty extensively.

The following review/opinion has spoilers

The thing that stands out most to me is the graphics. They are just enough of an edit to offer that unique look and adds to a sorta "sandy" look with the dulling and the tint of brown. I really enjoy the visuals, it really adds the feel to the enviorment. The most beautiful has to be the camel.

As for story... while the ideas are there I think you are having severe issues with characters and understading natural actions. Serren to me seems extrodinarily blank or blah to me, in a bad way. I understand you are trying to convey him as a depressed man, a former shell of himself because of what happend but even an empty character isn't really "empty".

I think the biggest issues behind this is reaction.

The thing that stick out to me is why is he going after this map and finding this place instead of going out on revenge. To me the quest for this map seems very strange and I don't get the motivation or connection at all. I can see his type of character wasting away or going through the motions blankly but why this? Why the map? These questions aren't in a "oh let me see more" way but rather in a way of oh and to add in some plot let me shove in this. It just seems really really strange to me.

His reaction to anything in general is blah. Even when the guy stole the prize money he didnt' seem all that mad. Just 'oh he stole the prize money I should go get it.' Not even a "!" was at the end of his setence. Just...blah.

Another reaction problem is when he sees the KILLER of his two friends. This is the guy that caused all of his misery. He doesn't REACT enough to it. The flash back was fine... but just he seemed indiffernt to it. No anger, no sorrow.... just oh I should follow him. He should feel SOMETHING for this guy. This is the one that did everything! This is the big shabam!

If that wasn't enough finally when he sees the guy face to face and talks to him... he doesn't even try to fight him... Why doesn't he go after him beat him down with all that he's got? There's a breif scuffle and a taunt from the guy about his use of guns. And still he just stands there and takes it. Let's the guy just walk away. And he LEAVES! Why? I don't understand this reaction at all. That he has to just "get over it" he thinks on the way out? It doesn't matter that its been five years. This guy was the killer of the two people in the world that meant most to him. He should do more than just walk away. The reaction is again blah.

And finally Serren's reaction to his store keeper friend incident. Why does he just stand around when his friend is being harrased. To me this time his reaction is a bit slow. But even after his friend is shot and he's drawn the gun, why doesn't he shoot them? Yeah the girl is a tough fighter, they're all tough fighters but I was under the impression that Serren doesn't give a flip about his life. Wouldn't he gun them down despite the fact he would be easily killed? Even if he didn't care about that shop keep, his purpose now is supposed to be that map and place and they're about to take the decoder, shouldn't he let them have it?

Some things to think about are revaluating the psyche of a wasted away person. They may be void of feelings but the character is never void of personality. Perhaps draw from your orginal monlogue and have more thoughts sprinkled in through out. The character is nothing but a blank slate still. Bits of personality should have shone through by now.

Another thing to remember about characters is the reader/player/viewer needs to be hammered on the head with the character's personaliy. Characters that are strong are "loud" about their personlity even if they're shy. What I mean is exaggerate. If your character is impatient don't just have them sigh.. have them drum their fingers on the desk, get up and pace franticly, curse in anger. This makes for a stronger character, which your game is in dire need of.

The game play was interesting. I liked the idea of being able to shoot at the encounters... but would I get exp from this as well? Or is this to just avoid battle? Because if other players are like me I'm an exp hog. I'll fight pretty much anything I see to go and grab some. Something to think about. I also liked the idea of the dex effecting the speed after the action is selected. Makes sence. Some things though is the reload on the map when shooting out of battle. Maybe have a button just for that instead of always having to go into the menu.

More direction would be good too. The player was just left hanging on the street left to wander around. While most do that on their own, it can get frustraiting as to what exactly to do without real clear directions, but that was already adressed by other people.

The sound was also pretty good but a variety of music from town to town would be nice. I liked the added touch of the people on the street's music playing. There's a script that would be perfect for this taht allows sounds to gradually be heard as you walk. Might be something to think of adding since it'd make the sound mroe smooth instead of just sharply cutting off. But I love the idea for it.

Overall your visuals are your strongest point. Some kinks in the battle need to be worked out but mostly your character needs work.

Hope that helps you. And thanks for sharing the demo.

Wow that was a lengthy review Raven. As everyone has said already you locked the visual and musical aspect down. The atmosphere in the desert towns is beyond belief. I got totally sucked in when I walked by the one guy playing the acoustic instrument. I had to just sit there and wait until it was all finished. The battle system is fairly strong as well although I agree there should be some weaker attack you can do if you run out of bullets so you are not completely screwed. At least you always allow the player the escape option in case that happens. The few dungeons I explored were a bit disappointing since were no real obstacles to challenge the player besides battles. I hope to see more gimmicks in the dungeons in the future or at least some puzzles. There wasn't much to the story and characters yet but I am sure you will flesh them out more as the game goes on. It is great to finally see you dedicate yourself this much to one project. I am going to make sure you finish this one.

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said Raven, but I do about when the Dune Knight leaves. If someone locked a door or something, it would hang a bit better, I thought. I didn't find anything odd with the scene in the shop - believe it or not, people do have a certain sense of shock after seeing their friends shot to pieces.

Raven, thank you so much. I really liked that. I explained a few of those things on irc, and I'll mention now to people that played the game that...

Serren is meant to be seriously injured by Talia- she stabs him through the stomach with a sword, so he can't really do anything for Treshire or fight back.

It was unclear because I rushed the demo and didn't have the chance to make an animation. but rest easy- last night I spent about an hour making an animation to show that more clearly.

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said Raven, but I do about when the Dune Knight leaves. If someone locked a door or something, it would hang a bit better, I thought.

This is another thing I clarified on irc- perhaps it should have been clearer in the game. I thought it was, but it seems to have confused people. Dune Knight DIDN'T kill Issa and Ismael- he's a bounty hunter who only caught them, and turned them in to the people who did kill them. It's why he refers to himself as "innocent"- he was only doing his job. Serren blames Dune Knight for their deaths, but at the same time he tries to force himself to realize that Dune Knight isn't the one who did it. This was why he had the "I need to get over it" line when he left. I'll probably go back and expand on this in that scene.

The few dungeons I explored were a bit disappointing since were no real obstacles to challenge the player besides battles.

There haven't been any dungeons yet. The cave is pretty much just an area in the desert, and the place with the dogs and treasure was just the basement of the palace. When you see the real dungeons, you'll know it.

CERU

I think its interesting that you decided to use a unifying color scheme, great job.

I'll download when I find the time.

This is honestly the best game I've ever played in RMXP, from what I've played so far... Just the minor details, like the guitar player, the fact people turn to look at you when you walk past them, it all adds together. The soundtrack is immense, really goes well with the game. I only managed to get to the town where you buy the... can't remember, second town I think, but still...

Sucks you got banned though.

Anonymous

Roman Candle;217753 said:
Wait, hang on a second... You made it less gay... But more incestuous? XD What weak pandering to public desires!

incest is usually unexpected, but always relevant~

there are a few issues with some of the songs that likely have to do with streaming (the city song skips in one portion and doesn't loop cleanly, for instance), but future versions will use OGG instead of MP3 so hopefully these issues will be rectified. also, the song used for the cities in the demo is more or less an early prototype. all of the songs are, actually. each city and town will have its own respective theme and ambience - caste will be darker and less hopeful, shaw will be populated and more upbeat, jelbediz will shimmer and float, etc. - and the desert will possibly have a few different tunes and styles of ambience.

i'm experimenting a lot with the soundtrack, and i'm glad to know the direction i'm taking seems natural. atmosphere is a big thing with Sandfall - we want to take it to extreme heights, to the point where walking around a city and talking to the people in it is ENJOYABLE, and not just a means of getting from dungeon A to dungeon B. the street musicians and poet are just scratching the surface of that. we want the towns to feel alive without feeling overpowering or annoying, and choices made by the player, small or big, to affect the world accordingly.

keep criticisms and bug reports coming - there are a lot more besides what's been reported already, i'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.