Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[DC] Forlorn Manor

Forlorn Manor

ForlornManor.exe
(17MB)

Story / Characters

Three college students spend their vacation visiting an abandoned mansion one received as a inheritance. The mansion has a bad history of being haunted, but ghosts aren't real, right?

Features

A custom ABS system that centers on gun-style combat and interactive use of the mouse to solve problems with skills and items that you collect as you go.

Character switching between the two characters that allows you to solve unique puzzles and fight challenging boss fights that will require as much clever thinking as twitch reactions.

A multitude of weapons like shotguns, crossbows, and various handguns.

Playtime of at least 1 to 1.5 hours if you know all the solutions, averaging between 2 to 4 hours of total playtime.

Walkthrough by Xchain

Credits                

Icons:
Moyasiwhite

Tilesets and Add-Ons:
ccoa
Scribblette
Euphony
Zanyzora
$t3v0

Scripts:
Dubealex (AMS)
Near Fantastica (MouseInput/AMS)
Trickster (Animation)
XRXS (AMS)
Cybersam (KeyboardInput)

Music:
FFMusicDJ
Kaijin
Yuki Kajiura
Ragnarok Online

Inspiration and Idea Bouncing:
ArtBane
Prexus

Custom Sprites and Titlescreen:
(Zombies and main characters)
Yaoumei

I found a mapping error:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/theomen9mm/Mapping01.png

Aside from that the game seems interesting, but rather dead... No music = sad panda :( .

Plus, it's a bit confusing it's just like I'm going to throw you in the middle of this and you figure it out. Find the items you need amongst the useless crap is quite the task, hell I can't even figure out how to get both of my guys in the mansion, again, sad panda :( .

So my black guy stays outside in the rain where he won't die first :D take that horror movie sterotypes!

Anyway I've spent damn near an hour trying to figure out how to get in the mansion, and now that I'm in I've spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out where to find the stuff I need (which is becoming more of a tedious task than I wished it to be.)

So I just started playing your demo. It's actually pretty fun. I like the fact that you can switch between characters to solve puzzles. I'm already stuck. Oh, well.

On some of the things you investigate/look at, the description comes up twice in a row. This is a little annoying.
I would recommend that the take/hand icon only show up on things you can actually take. Otherwise, it's kind of hit or miss.
In the beg, I had to use one of the characters to turn on the lever while the other character went through the metal gate. Then, after I started a fire in both fire places, the other guy suddenly shows up. I think this should be explained somewhere.
Other than those things, your game is pretty fun and hopefully I'll find a way to get unstuck so I can continue playing.

$t3v0

Awesome Bro

Hey man, the visual side of this game is just great! I love anything to do with the paranormal and spooky old manors. I'll give this a try later on when I have some spare time.

Great work!

~ $t3v0

Wow, nice mapping catch! I will fix that.

There is music, just not right in the beginning, was trying to set the mood.

To get in you must have already used the metal bar to "lock" the door with one character after the other threw the switch. Before going in the mansion, there are 2 wood piles outside you can grab wood from, which you need to put into the fireplace before you can light it.

alexia;123328 said:
So I just started playing your demo. It's actually pretty fun. I like the fact that you can switch between characters to solve puzzles. I'm already stuck. Oh, well.

On some of the things you investigate/look at, the description comes up twice in a row. This is a little annoying.
I would recommend that the take/hand icon only show up on things you can actually take. Otherwise, it's kind of hit or miss.
In the beg, I had to use one of the characters to turn on the lever while the other character went through the metal gate. Then, after I started a fire in both fire places, the other guy suddenly shows up. I think this should be explained somewhere.
Other than those things, your game is pretty fun and hopefully I'll find a way to get unstuck so I can continue playing.

Actually! You found a bug that I never even noticed! You're not supposed to be able to get into the manor without both characters. :O

I will fix that ASAP.

New version is up:

Includes mapping fix for error J_STREET pointed out and fix for bug with being able to get into the manor with only one character and then get both by abusing the storyline! (Use original download link.)

The tutorials should tell you what to do, but basically open the Item menu, then press the "E" key on the item you want to "Equip."

Then whatever item you have equipped you can use on things (like the Fireplace) by using the "Item" skill, which is in your skill-bar in the upper right, should be an icon with "Item" on it. It's default is the first slot, which would be the "1" key. Then just click on what you want to use that item on.

Both characters can have different or the same item equipped, so if you equip the Matches to one character, the other can't use them until you equip it to them as well.

Oh wow, I totally forgot this was on my computer. Unfortunately, it's not on the computer I'm using right now. I'll definately work on completing this though. It's a great game.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.