Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Creating Sprites

Hi everybody!! I'm a relatively new game programmer and the problem I'm finding I run into the most is that I happen to be an atrocious artist. I find it almost impossible to make good sprites with the in-game sprite editor and I basically have to use anything I can find on the internet. What can I do?

Hi, welcome to the site!

If you're interested in learning we have quite a few pixel artists who hang around the artwork forum, if you feel like posting any attempts or works in progress they're quite good at critique and such.

viewforum.php?f=159

We do have a requests forum, and a recruitment forum, but generally it's hard to find artists who'll work for free;

Single requests: viewforum.php?f=10
Recruitment: viewforum.php?f=220

The only other thing I can suggest is posting your games around to show people how good they are, combined with something in your forum signature saying you're looking to work with an artist, and see if anyone comes along. The more people know your name, the happier they'll be to work alongside you.

Good luck.

Welcome!

This is just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

When I first started (and still to this day, in fact), I focused on gameplay first. A good game is good, even with poor art.
Case in point: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=74519

Besides, if you make a good game, it will be easy to recruit some help on art. Don't expect help without either something to show, or some money to invest, as artists know to be wary of the number of unfinished projects, and are hesitant to commit (quite understandably).

And yes, of course, check the links Amy provided to get better at art.

I just wanted to present the point that art alone is not what makes a game great. Personally, I tend to set up demos STILL using nothing but rectangles for my characters. Once they play in a compelling way, then I either recruit an artist, or the art slowly transforms (from rectangle to blob, from blob to humanoid, to human, to a character, to a detailed character).

Edit: just realized the d/l link died for GREEN. whoops. I'll fix that soon.

theory":13e1ybez said:
Welcome!

This is just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

When I first started (and still to this day, in fact), I focused on gameplay first. A good game is good, even with poor art.
Case in point: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=74519

Besides, if you make a good game, it will be easy to recruit some help on art. Don't expect help without either something to show, or some money to invest, as artists know to be wary of the number of unfinished projects, and are hesitant to commit (quite understandably).

And yes, of course, check the links Amy provided to get better at art.

I just wanted to present the point that art alone is not what makes a game great. Personally, I tend to set up demos STILL using nothing but rectangles for my characters. Once they play in a compelling way, then I either recruit an artist, or the art slowly transforms (from rectangle to blob, from blob to humanoid, to human, to a character, to a detailed character).

Edit: just realized the d/l link died for GREEN. whoops. I'll fix that soon.

I agree to the most part, but personally I like to design my characters very early on as this does a few things...

First of all designing characters allows you to think of their personalities as you draw/pixel them (facial expression, body language, costume design, etc.), this helps when writing the story as the characters personalities will be more consistent and compelling.

Second of all, having character art dotted about as well as being constantly drawn allows me to keep my inspiration going thus stopping my game from drying out half way through. If it looks really nice, you want to see it finished.

If however you aren't a good artist, then just draw the best you can and paint a picture in your head as you go, this will do what I've said before, even if only in your head. You will still flesh your characters personalities out and you will be driven on when frequently thinking about your characters.

after this though I think "Theory" hit this right on the head, make a good game first, make it shiny later. If your characters are memorable and you story is enjoyable (and finished) then people (myself included) will almost always be willing to get involved.

Thanks for all of the advice you guys :D I will certainly take everything into consideration.

And this is probably pathetically lame, but how do I attach files to these texts? I would love to post an executable file of the game for people to try and give me feedback.

Unfortunately they'll have to be uploaded elsewhere, to a file hosting website (I'm not altogether sure which ones are best these days) and then the URL link copied and pasted into the post.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.