Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Creating a Jump System

Spoon

Hi guys : )

I'm trying to make a jump system on RPG maker XP.. I've managed to do a lot so far
But I'm a bit stuck as to how to fix this one problem

Basicly what I've made is a common event, where if you press Q, the player jumps forward 2 squares. Heres my event:

Code:
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/TheSpoonFtw/CommonEvent1-2.jpg[/img]
Now I had a problem where it would crash if you ordered him to jump to somewhere he couldn't. I fixed that by ticking the 'ignore if can't move' in each of the move things...

But that raised a new problem where my animation would still play.. even when he doesn't jump. How can I fix this?

I have a feeling it might involve a script of some sort (which I have very little experience with). Can anyone help?

Spoon

The one I posted was just the checking event - with an added animation at the end to check if it was working
heres both of them, but I don't think the problem is in the other one.
(So far I've just got 2 common events - no outside scripts, it would be possible for me to merge them, but I've kept them seperate for simiplicity)

Heres my checking event.
Code:
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/TheSpoonFtw/Code.jpg[/img]

Heres my jumping event.
Code:
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/TheSpoonFtw/CommonEvent2-1.jpg[/img]

Both common events are both being constantly run.

I've looked at it closely, it /should/ work... but obviously doesn't.
I've got a demo you can look at to make things clearer, but I don't seem to be able to add it to my post on this forum.

Ok here is everything I have for the one I use. First is the common event.

jumpsystem2.jpg

Now this is the event that is going to call it. Put it on your starting map.

jumpsystemcontrol.jpg

As far as the animation, I'm not understanding what your looking for. This will show your actor jumping over 1 square. a total of 2 spaces.

Spoon

Thank you, but I have a working jump system. (And have done since the first post)
Press Q, it jumps, this works and so do yours.

Now I wanted to add an animation to the jump so that it looks a bit more realistic
(there are some other things I want to do aswell, but I've left it out to keep it simple)
Animations are those flashy effects you get.

So I added an animation to my jump.
It works so-far, the animation plays when he jumps.

But when I order him to jump to somewhere he can't, he doesn't jump. But the animation still plays.
I wanted to fix this.

So now I'm working towards making a script to check if he can jump, and only play the animation if he can.

All right, Spoon, I'm not even seeing your passiblity test or where the variable 'check' is set...

In addition, if that check common event is run continuously, then those two variables for the player's x and y are being constantly changed back and forth.

It would be easiest if you could paste these events and whatever else is needed into a demo and PM it to me so I can work this out for you when I get home.

Spoon

PM'ed you it.

My little animation test thing can be seen at the end of the checking event.
The 'Check' variable is set within the script on the checking event.
And it turns out it neither of them are continuous, one has a 10 frame wait before repeating, and the other a 4 frame wait.

Theres also an URL here for anyone else who wants a look:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=71hlchj0y9f
I've not used this file-hoster before, hope it works okay for you all.

@spoon: Jumping can be as simple as in one page event. You can try looking at my sample with for vx but havent tried it for xp. My current jumping event system has regular jump and and a high jump like those of mario world based on how fast you run, ill post the event later on.

Spoon

-> Wizard576
Your event is a bit messy, but you've definetly found something here!
I should be able to make something of this, very good job :D - Thanks for sticking with it ^^

-> Mufffin
I'm still interested in seeing your method, I might include the running-jump thing in - sounds interesting. Looking forward to it!

-> Anyone else
I'd still like to know what was wrong with my events earlier, if anyone could glance through it and see what was wrong, it'd be very much appreciated!

Spoon

Okay.. I've incorperated wizard576's idea into my system, and it works perfectly!
To show my appreciation to everyone for helping, I've put my system into a demo (for your use if you want!) - as you'll see, its lot more complex than we've been discussing on this ^^

Spoons Jump System Demo - Ver 2 RPGXP
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=wfl4m2gmvwb

Infomation on use can be seen by interacting with the signpost.

edit: Found and fixed a problem already ^^ (Jump anim to the left wasn't working)
I aren't too keen on how you can jump through the pillars... but I don't see an easy way around that at the moment.
I am also aware that there is a very slim chance that the jump animation doesn't play sometimes.. trying to fix that.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.